Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's a heck of a lot better than a dozen or so NHL cities. Better weather and guys that like to party can head up to Park City. It's very "white" but if an NBA team can thrive there that should not bother an NHL team.
I was talking about all the traditional stuff we hear about why Ottawa is such a bad place to live.

I think it's all overblown anyway. Guys are on the road a lot, have a long off season, and have so much structure during the season that their downtime is limited anyway.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
But that's the thing....Coyotes go from the team on the top of everyone's no trade lists, to a reasonably attractive destination.

Which also mean Canadian teams, and a few other franchises, drop one notch down on the desirability list. Not good for us, at the end of the day.
Coyotes have always been a more attractive destination than Ottawa outside of maybe the last couple of years

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I was talking about all the traditional stuff we hear about why Ottawa is such a bad place to live.

I think it's all overblown anyway. Guys are on the road a lot, have a long off season, and have so much structure during the season that their downtime is limited anyway.
And their partners and families don't matter at all, in this situation?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Exactly. People seem to underestimate or flat out ignore how much the player’s wives are likely a factor in where they choose to play.

Anyone who is or has been married knows that if you’re wife doesn’t want to live in Ottawa, then eventually you won’t want to live in Ottawa.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Call me a traitor but Toronto beating Boston round 1 is probably in our best interest.

A. It means Boston's 1st round pick doesn't get worse.
B. It means it's less likely Keefe gets fired, so less competition when it comes to hiring a new coach.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're a traitor. I'd rather forfeit the pick than have the leafs win this series.
I was/am hoping for a 2nd round exit for the Bruins so that we can get the Tor exit out of the way quick, but Boston losing does have the silver lining of improving our draft pick, small consolation I suppose...

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I was/am hoping for a 2nd round exit for the Bruins so that we can get the Tor exit out of the way quick, but Boston losing does have the silver lining of improving our draft pick, small consolation I suppose...
I can get on board with that. A few spots at the end of the first is unlikely to make much difference, but higher is always better.

That said, I find my respect level for the bruins has gone up and up over the years. They play the game right. Hard franchise not to root for, at least a bit.

Reactions: OD99

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
That’s how I’m looking at it too

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean. How much do you think that really factors in. For some absolutely it does. For most? Of course EVERYONE wants to be in Florida or California or New York. But there’s limited spots.

Most of the guys are happy to be making millions slapping a puck around. And the girls are happy to just be able to get a new Chanel purse every other week.

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
I mean. How much do you think that really factors in. For some absolutely it does. For most? Of course EVERYONE wants to be in Florida or California or New York. But there’s limited spots.

Most of the guys are happy to be making millions slapping a puck around. And the girls are happy to just be able to get a new Chanel purse every other week.
It factors in for sure.

I’m the breadwinner by far in my relationship and could easily live and work out west where I love it the most, and even internationally with diplomatic status and benefits, but we are in Ottawa because my wife’s family is here and this is where she wants to be (and is actually fine by me, I’m okay with Ottawa and my wife being happy is important).

It definitely matters.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It factors in for sure.

I’m the breadwinner by far in my relationship and could easily live and work out west where I love it the most, and even internationally with diplomatic status and benefits, but we are in Ottawa because my wife’s family is here and this is where she wants to be (and is actually fine by me, I’m okay with Ottawa and my wife being happy is important).

It definitely matters.
Okay but in their line of work there are limited spots in the nhl cities.

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
Okay but in their line of work there are limited spots in the nhl cities.
True, and they don’t have to permanently live where they work, the offseason home can be the main home.

The wives/spouses definitely have a say however it shakes out. I relate to the idea that I’m the head of the household but my wife is the neck that moves the head. Sometimes she’s a strong and stubborn neck haha

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bob not at his best .. Tampa takes advantage.

Stammer with some intimidation . Pretty much steals his lunch money

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
True, and they don’t have to permanently live where they work, the offseason home can be the main home.

The wives/spouses definitely have a say however it shakes out. I relate to the idea that I’m the head of the household but my wife is the neck that moves the head. Sometimes she’s a strong and stubborn neck haha
As they all should be who knows what we would get into if they weren’t

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Boston beating Toronto has no impact on our pick other than removing one possible team who can bump our pick up. Re-seeding only occurs after the 2nd round (as well as after the 3rd rnd & finals).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Food poisoning?? Seriously?
What a lame bs excuse. What is he in high school?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad