Speculation: All purpose trade deadline / roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Marner thing is already starting to get ugly. First, McKenzie reports that Marner wants as much as Matthews, and now Marners agent has come out publicly to say the Leafs are low balling Marner.

Have a feeling things will be bit easier with Aho, but they should push for him to sign pre Marner.

Also please don't be looking at Johnsson+ for Pesce,

That's a firing worthy move.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Marner thing is already starting to get ugly. First, McKenzie reports that Marner wants as much as Matthews, and now Marners agent has come out publicly to say the Leafs are low balling Marner.

Darren Ferris is easily the most aggressive of all agents. He's gonna stay the course no matter what...even if it destroys relationships. I don't think anybody in the business likes him anymore. In my view, Leafs should have talked to him first. He's probably pissed now and the last guy to do a favour anyway.

Reactions: Identity404

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
At this point I am not sure any D has to be moved. Peace is playing the left side. So opening an RHD for Fox merely means not playing TVR. As far as acquiring another scorer, that can wait until the offseason--no reason to disturb the chemistry the team has. I still think Connor is likely available from Winnipeg--the math doesn't work to give both Laine and Connor new contracts with Wheeler's increase in salary and the need to re-sign Myers and Brossoit. If the Canes move Ferland for a 1st, then offer the Jets two firsts and a prospect for Connor. I prefer a young player to a UFA because the Canes window to compete is 2-6 years if they focus on young stars.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
At this point I am not sure any D has to be moved. Peace is playing the left side. So opening an RHD for Fox merely means not playing TVR. As far as acquiring another scorer, that can wait until the offseason--no reason to disturb the chemistry the team has. I still think Connor is likely available from Winnipeg--the math doesn't work to give both Laine and Connor new contracts with Wheeler's increase in salary and the need to re-sign Myers and Brossoit. If the Canes move Ferland for a 1st, then offer the Jets two firsts and a prospect for Connor. I prefer a young player to a UFA because the Canes window to compete is 2-6 years if they focus on young stars.

I don't disagree but at this point, trading a top9 forward or top4 defender without getting one back wouldn't be right. The team deserves better because they're giving it their all. They've been, certain up's and down's included, playing well all season long but the consistency has been impressive lately. You can tell they're trying hard and having fun. They haven't made the playoffs since 09 and as long as there's a realistic chance to make the playoffs I'd hate to see the front office trade anyone for futures.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Have a feeling things will be bit easier with Aho, but they should push for him to sign pre Marner.

This is some complete rando on Twitter who is citing a McKenzie piece from a few days prior to the Muzzin trade. In that piece it is NEVER said specifically that CAR is/was after Johnsson. Bob mentions that Dubas may have talked to CAR and STL about D, but that he was not willing to trade Kapanen or Johnsson. This lunacy sparked a 15pg thread on the Leafs board.

CAR is still scouting TOR for sure, but I’d be absolutely shocked if it’s for the purpose of a Johnsson for Pesce deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is some complete rando on Twitter who is citing a McKenzie piece from a few days prior to the Muzzin trade. In that piece it is NEVER said specifically that CAR is/was after Johnsson. Bob mentions that Dubas may have talked to CAR and STL about D, but that he was not willing to trade Kapanen or Johnsson. This lunacy sparked a 15pg thread on the Leafs board.

CAR is still scouting TOR for sure, but I’d be absolutely shocked if it’s for the purpose of a Johnsson for Pesce deal.

As would I, and I damm hope it would never happen but sadly one can't say that with 100% certainty.

To me it's just crazy Johnsson is even mentioned with Pesce in same tweet, and Leafs fans thinking it's a possibility.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

If we traded Pesce with Johnsson as the main piece coming back I think that would be my breaking point. I wouldn’t be able to cheer for a team I have so little faith in.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
There was an article from Adam Gold the other day:

Gold: Down the stretch Canes hoping to balance present and future :: WRALSportsFan.com

While I don’t think he’s a super connected insider, I do think he’s got a pretty good feel for the team and does have a decent knowledge of its inner workings. He basically says in the article that the team definitively values Pesce the highest out of their RD excess and to get him another team would have to pay through the nose, which is actually what every Canes fan has been saying all season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we traded Pesce with Johnsson as the main piece coming back I think that would be my breaking point. I wouldn’t be able to cheer for a team I have so little faith in.

I agree. While I don't trust Waddell, I would be severely disappointed if they move Pesce with Johnsson being the main piece coming back.

Pesce: 24 years old, 206 NHL games, 14 NHL goals, 68 NHL points (as a defenseman) and has been playing as a top 2/top 4 D for the past 3 seasons.
Johnsson: 24 years old, 55 NHL games, 14 NHL goals, 29 NHL points and is 10th on the Leafs among forwards in total TOI and EV TOI (and that's with Nylander missing half the season).

Johnsson is having a nice season, but if the Canes are trading a young, bonafide top 4 RHD on a great contract, I will be disappointed if Johnsson is the main piece of the return. Even Kapanen doesn't have near the resume that Pesce does. I've learned to never say never though, particularly with Waddell at the helm, but I'll be disappointed.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

This. The Canes better not trade Pesce without getting at least a top6 Center or 1st round pick plus serious prospect/roster player back. Doesn't make sense to trade Pesce unless some team is willing to seriously overpay for his good contract.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I read or heard something the other day about LA wanting to move Kovalchuk, maybe with retention. Kovalchuk is on pace for around 20g and has a history with Waddell. I wonder what he’d cost with say, $1.5M retained? $4.5M for Kovalchuk to mentor Svechnikov for a few years might work out nicely. Especially if he can be gotten with futures from Ferland and/or Faulk trades.

Edit-looks like he has a full NMC. He ain’t waiving that for CAR...ah well.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I read or heard something the other day about LA wanting to move Kovalchuk, maybe with retention. Kovalchuk is on pace for around 20g and has a history with Waddell. I wonder what he’d cost with say, $1.5M retained? $4.5M for Kovalchuk to mentor Svechnikov for a few years might work out nicely. Especially if he can be gotten with futures from Ferland and/or Faulk trades.

Edit-looks like he has a full NMC. He ain’t waiving that for CAR...ah well.
Hell no. Especially after he just came back from Russia after bolting the Devils when things got rough. Even if we weren't on his NMC or he was willing to waive for us, I want no part of that.

And I agree with the above. Build around a defensive core of Slavin-Pesce-Hamilton-CDH. Everyone else is expendable for the right pieces. I know we might be able to get more value from someone like Peesh, but last night showed just how dominant this team, and especially defense, can be when it all comes together. Value and protect that and use lesser assets to build up the forward lines. Its also worth remembering we are still on an entry level Svech and Necas is going to be ready to come up soon. Our top end talent might already be in house, and with the defense we have, we could be set up for long term contention already.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

McKenzie goes on Leafs lunch and says lopsided Toronto-favored stuff all the time. When the Nylander saga was going on McKenzie speculated that Slavin would have to be the piece rather than Pesce.

Either he is just throwing big names out to draw viewers or a deal hasn't gotten done because the Leafs asking prices are insane. Either way I'm not worried about getting fleeced out of a top-4 RHD, of all the teams in the league to make a good hockey deal with a Cup contender like Toronto is one of the least likely.

Canes can find another Niederreiter-Rask type swap with a team that needs a RHD rather than a Center.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
McKenzie goes on Leafs lunch and says lopsided Toronto-favored stuff all the time. When the Nylander saga was going on McKenzie speculated that Slavin would have to be the piece rather than Pesce.

Either he is just throwing big names out to draw viewers or a deal hasn't gotten done because the Leafs asking prices are insane. Either way I'm not worried about getting fleeced out of a top-4 RHD, of all the teams in the league to make a good hockey deal with a Cup contender like Toronto is one of the least likely.

Canes can find another Niederreiter-Rask type swap with a team that needs a RHD rather than a Center.
Yeah, the more time goes by, the more I'm ok with the moves that Waddell has made. Yeah, Skinner might have backfired a little bit, but the more I think about it, we were probably seriously considering just cutting him, so they took whatever they could get and were done with it. He's playing himself into a big contract this year, for sure, but I wouldn't be shocked when he reverts back to form after he signs long term. He's always struck me a little bit of a Semin 2.0.

But the other moves we've made? Can't really say any of them didn't work out for us. Ferland and Hamilton have been great additions for us (and Ferland could lead to something more at the deadline). The Neiderriter trade was a straight up fleecing. Mrazek, Mac, and CDH have all been great additions to the team in general. The team is certainly better positioned for the now and the future than it was this time last year, and it starts to seem like we might actually know what we're doing. I don't think we'll be trading a Top 4 D unless someone plays out the schlong for him. And if they do, I'm kind of excited to see what we could get back, to be honest. And if we keep what we got, so be it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IMO, the best move is to trade Faulk for a center. Get the best center you can for him and move on.

While that is preferable, the problem is, with only 1 year left on his deal, I'm not sure you are going to get a center that is much better than what we already have, unless it's a "change of scenery" or "young and unproven" type player.

My view is take the best deal for Faulk. If that's picks and prospects, so be it. If it's a winger, so be it. If it's a center, then great.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Just had a thought, and don’t know where else to put this, but I think Aho signs the exact same contract Eichel signed. He’s the closest comparable, and I think Aho is every bit the player Eichel is.

With what he’s done this year, I think 10 million at 8 years may even look like a bargain in the second half of that contract.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Pulled this from here: How the Matthews deal shifts the market for the next group...
Initial reactions to the deal were interesting. Multiple sources said they wanted to see what Mitch Marner’s deal looks like before they were willing to say that Matthews’ deal would be anything other than an outlier. Matthews is really in a class by himself, the rare mix of an elite goal-scorer who is also a center.
“Guys like Point, Aho, (Matthew) Tkachuk – they’re all in the same ballpark,” said one Eastern Conference executive. “Matthews is a whole different face of the franchise, face of the NHL. To me, that’s the outlier.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad