Speculation: All purpose trade deadline / roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Any interest in Rakell? If so, what would you offer?

I know, I know....rather have Gibson, but lets be real.

This got skipped over with all the Matthews talk, but not only am I interested in Rakell, I'm excited by him. I guess he's not really a center, but I don't care. I've wanted the guy since draft day in 2011 and I still want him now. What are you looking for? I don't follow the Ducks a lot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If you are Kapanen or Johnnson why the hell would you sign team friendly after watching everyone else on the roster maximizing personal value in lieu of benefitting the team? If I'm an agent, I ask Toronto for Max value and nothing less. Why should they be the ones to take one on the chin so the elites can win and rake in money, too?

That, more than anything, is really going to hurt them moving forward.

I get what you are saying, but Kapanen and Johnnson don't have nearly the leverage to play hardball. Kapanen has 23 goals in his NHL career, 15 this year in which 8 of them were with Matthews. Johnnson is a 7th round pick that has 55 career NHL games, 14 career NHL goals (12 this year in which 5 are with Matthews / Tavares). They will be 23 and 24 years old when they sign a new deal.

If they play hardball, the Leafs would likely either ship one of them out or let them sit out for the year. Nylander had two sixty point seasons under his belt. Matthews is a 1st overall, high end center. Marner already has 3 sixty+ point seasons and might end up with 100 this year. I'm not saying the agent won't ask for more, but their resume's don't give them the leverage the others had. Plus, they aren't as important to the team's success vs. the other guys. My guess is both guys sign a shorter, more reasonable "show me" deal.

For reference, when Teravainen signed his 2 year show me deal for $2.8M, he had played 221 NHL games (including playoffs), had 36 goals, 97 points and was still 21 years old.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply they will willingly take a team friendly deal just out of the goodness of their hearts. I just think that based on their resume's, the deals they sign won't be very onerous to begin with.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's actually interesting to me, why it is so important for those guys to really make for example 11 instead of 9. I mean, they really do not need that extra 2 so much, but at the same time, it destroys tour team's ability to build a winning team around you.

Clearly Auston boy, or Tavares man are not exactly interested in winning cup, but just to get personal success in money and especially in fame (ego must be the only thing to make you negotiate that last million).

And I really think Auston is not even worth of that. Let me tell you boys and girls, Toronto is not going to have any good success for next decade.

Well the agent gets 20 % or something of the money and 0 % of the Stanley Cup, so $2M to the player is like $400k to him.

I bet they are really good in talking the player out of any discount sillyness.

"Boy, what they got is a bu-si-ness ven-tu-re. They are in it to
make money, and would like nothing better than pay you peanuts to bust your ass out every night and keep themselves every revenue they get from selling thousands of jerseys with your name on the back. Have you seen the car the [owner] drives?"

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Rakell seems to fit the mold of our list, under-performing relative to prior production but still locked down at a reasonable rate for multiple years. Like Kev said, would prefer a center but a right-shot winger helps too. If we can find a team to give us a 1st for Ferland, maybe we flip the 1st and one of our non-Necas prospects for Rakell.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Friedman's take on the Matthews deal.

Today’s young player is not afraid to demand a larger share of the pie — not afraid to say, “Just because you’ve done it that way before doesn’t mean you’re going to do it that way now.”
For a few years, I’ve been saying offer sheets are coming, and, finally, people in the NHL believe it. (It is like predicting the housing bubble will burst. Eventually, you’re going to be right.) It did not go unnoticed that Detroit GM Ken Holland did not brush off the idea of an offer sheet in at least two recent interviews. For someone of his stature to give the impression he’d consider it, that’s big.
He can’t be the only one.

The Maple Leafs knew that. And other teams trying to sign their own restricted free agents knew that. It was frustrating for those clubs, because the players (and agents) would say, “Let’s see what happens with Nylander.” When that was done, they’d say, “Nah, we’ll wait.” It was almost as if each player/agent was waiting for someone to go first.
For the teams, it was a multiple-choice quiz:
a) pay a bit more than you want, but get it done yourself
b) risk that someone else sets the terms for you​
Again, this was an easy decision for years. Offer sheets were (mostly) a dream. And who knows, maybe none will come. The difference this time is teams believe they might.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I still think Aho ends up closer to $8 million than $10 million (6-7 years). The contracts situation in Carolina is more favorable for the Canes. Tavares and Nylander getting paid handsomely really tied the Leafs' hands with Matthews and Marner.

I'd guess Draisaitl's contract would be near the top of the Canes offer.

It has been mentioned before but it might also be favorable for the Canes to try the Kucherov route with a 2-3 year extension followed by a huge 8 year deal.

I agree with most everything, but I don't think a 3 year contract is a go. It would end on June 30th, 2022, and a potential lockout season might be looming next. We won't probably know for sure before Sept 2019 when the deadlines to terminate the CBA is, and I'd expect every guy with any leverage wants to be signed and lockout-proofed from beforehand, also because of avoiding any possible overseas return hassles should the season start, well, mid-season.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Friedman's take on the Matthews deal.
The four 1sts is prohibitive as heck though for any long-term superstar offer sheets, and the ones only buying RFA years will get matched, but maybe the extremely interesting secondary targets in cap teams like Marner and Connor will get some action.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The four 1sts is prohibitive as heck though for any long-term superstar offer sheets, and the ones only buying RFA years will get matched, but maybe the extremely interesting secondary targets in cap teams like Marner and Connor will get some action.

That's what I was thinking. You could offer up to $4M (not saying we should) for a guy like Kapanen and the compensation would only be a 2nd round pick. Leafs would be hard pressed to match that. Same goes the next year with a guy like Roslovic (depending what the Jets do with Laine and Connor). If GMs are really thinking these might happen, that's where it might get interesting.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hoffman is availabe. Another good player. I doubt Ferly return 1st rounder and good prospect. There's a lot of option.
Yeah at this point we'll be lucky to get half of what Staal returned. We're looking at a 2nd and a B/C prospect. Maybe another conditional pick, if the 2nd isn't conditional to begin with.

Probably not worth it to trade him at this point unless we're like 10+ points out of a playoff spot at the deadline.

Ferland's free agent price is probably steadily going down with him basically disappearing goal scoring wise anyway. Still probably too rich for us though.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That's what I was thinking. You could offer up to $4M (not saying we should) for a guy like Kapanen and the compensation would only be a 2nd round pick. Leafs would be hard pressed to match that. Same goes the next year with a guy like Roslovic (depending what the Jets do with Laine and Connor). If GMs are really thinking these might happen, that's where it might get interesting.

Jets are insanely stacked in the top 9. They will have to do some culling, not least because the Trouba situation needs addressing.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

That’s not a bad idea

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If you are Kapanen or Johnnson why the hell would you sign team friendly after watching everyone else on the roster maximizing personal value in lieu of benefitting the team? If I'm an agent, I ask Toronto for Max value and nothing less. Why should they be the ones to take one on the chin so the elites can win and rake in money, too?

That, more than anything, is really going to hurt them moving forward.
Yeah, if I offer sheet anybody, I'd do Kapanen at something like $4.75 to $5 milion.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The growth of the league average salary, which is what an increase/decrease in offer sheet compensation tiers is based on, was ~3.4% in 17-18. If there's a similar increase this year, the 2nd round pick tier would end just shy of $4.2 mil.

Draw up an offer for Kapanen at $4,199,999 for as many seasons as he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad