All Purpose Podcast/Shoot Interview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
"Letters from Kayfabe" is great. They really get into the minutia of the 80's era WWF like changes in graphics packages and stuff. I had totally forgotten Shane Douglas ultra babyface run in the early 90's and Dino Bravo going back to his dark hair for a face run. Thanks for the tip bruins309.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
"Letters from Kayfabe" is great. They really get into the minutia of the 80's era WWF like changes in graphics packages and stuff. I had totally forgotten Shane Douglas ultra babyface run in the early 90's and Dino Bravo going back to his dark hair for a face run. Thanks for the tip bruins309.

What I love about it that they leave me wanting more each week. There are podcasts I like that are still exhausting to get through that run for multiple hours, but there's a value in keeping it short too.

I did not know about the "Ian Mooney" alter ego for Sean Mooney.

I reached out to the hosts and suggested a topic for a future show: vignettes, but more specifically ones where the person got a ton of them but made virtually no impact. So really an excuse to talk about Outback Jack. Ludvig Borga too but at least he ended the Tatanka winning streak. And of course the Sgt. Slaughter "I want my country back" ones to turn him back to where he was before the Iraq thing in late 1991.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I always thought the Ian Mooney thing was just Sherri Martel trying to irritate him like KO and Jericho with Tom Phillips.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally I was one of the very few that said Ryback was intelligent and put a really good argument out there for the business model. It needs updated and Ryback makes a good point that the entire company wins when each individual brand is as strong as it gets.

He's not wrong in any way. He was just going up against an old man and a machine that refuses to change. If WWE would just work with their talent to give them the ability to make more money and do more things, they'd see a huge profit from it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Personally I was one of the very few that said Ryback was intelligent and put a really good argument out there for the business model. It needs updated and Ryback makes a good point that the entire company wins when each individual brand is as strong as it gets.

He's not wrong in any way. He was just going up against an old man and a machine that refuses to change. If WWE would just work with their talent to give them the ability to make more money and do more things, they'd see a huge profit from it.

People in Vince's position and the culture that he has cultivated will go with their first instinct which is to cut costs where it makes sense rather than trying to invest into various areas. Sometimes it works. Most times it doesn't. There are some legitimate arguments for not having every performer's merch at a given event but to the lengths that WWE tends to take it, it loses weight with me. When someone like Orton who is popular regardless of his face/heel status has issues getting his merch out there is just inexcusable.

Ryback is right in the merch sense. His comment about pay because of people like him doing the job though is not nuanced enough for what it really is. While he is right that the guys that do favors are important to get the popular guys over, the fact is that the popular guys will have more value just because of their popularity. So that leverage can be used for more money that a guy like Ryback simply doesn't have because he just doesn't have the fan support to make a difference to WWE's pocket.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yikes, Meltzer and Alvarez didn't record their show until 1:30 am local. I woke up at that time. They both sound asleep :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don Callas (aka the Jackal from WWF) and Lance Storm are starting a show on the Jericho Network/Podcast One this week. Don't know much about Don Callas, but really enjoy listening to what Lance Storm has to say.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Don Callas (aka the Jackal from WWF) and Lance Storm are starting a show on the Jericho Network/Podcast One this week. Don't know much about Don Callas, but really enjoy listening to what Lance Storm has to say.
Yeah, Lance Storm is by far the best guy to listen to when talking about wrestling. Easily been my fav podcast ever since I started listening to him, so I hope the new show keep up the quality.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Just listened to the most recent Kevin Owens appearance on Talk is Jericho from the last month or so. Great interview and you can tell why Jericho and Owens have such great chemistry with each other on-camera.

My favorite part was a story Owens had about the night he debuted on Raw to challenge Cena. He was backstage and nobody was supposed to know what he was doing there or even that he was supposed to be on the show. He had all his gear with him and was worried that the locker room would think something was up if they saw him changing into his gear, so he went to Vince for advice on what to do:

Owens: Vince, what should I say if anyone backstage asks me why I'm in my gear?

Vince: Well, I think you should tell them to go **** themselves.

:laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know why the LAW's review of raw doesn't come up on YouTube this week?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Anyone know why the LAW's review of raw doesn't come up on YouTube this week?

Might be because Wai isn't there. John had a guest via skype do the review with him. Only thing I can think of. The cast was enjoyable though.

Oct 18, 2011
Prichards show on TNA was good, if you have any interest in all how that company operates it gives good insight, I never really knew much about the role panda energy played, but they did some really pathetic things to screw the talent over on pay. he doesn't really rail on dixie too much other than saying tna management had ostrich syndrome.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Prichard show this week was about Vader's run in WWF.

Most notable was that Vince wanted him to be named "The Mastadon" as his only name.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Austin has got Becky on his show today, it's a good listen.

I was hoping there was a more fun story behind Becky signing in NXT, but it was going to a tryout after being on the shelf for 7 years. Should be a good book though when she writes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad