Rumor: All Purpose Phil Kessel Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I really want to know what teams are on his list. If Chayka wants to play hardball and not offer anything of substance than **** him, there must be 7 other teams.

I could see Nashville, Colorado, Dallas, and Carolina as logical spots. Even NJ could have interest if they are serious about getting Hall to re-sign.
Oh, there's 7 other teams alright. I'd bet some coin that included on that list are Toronto, Boston, Philly and Washington. There's a reason Arizona's the only team there's been smoke around because Kessel is okay with playing there.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He’s being a dick. But it’s fine there’s 7 other teams we can trade Kessel to.

I imagine Chayka knows Kessel's list (why wouldn't his agent share it with the team he wants to go to most?) and if it's padded with teams like Toronto, Boston, and Philly, it gives Chayka grounds to lowball Rutherford.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I imagine Chayka knows Kessel's list (why wouldn't his agent share it with the team he wants to go to most?) and if it's padded with teams like Toronto, Boston, and Philly, it gives Chayka grounds to lowball Rutherford.
Toronto was in a very similar spot with Kessel and Pittsburgh though, and Pitt still gave a pretty solid return.

Chayka is dumb if he thinks he’s getting Kessel for pennies. 75 cents on the dollar sure, but not pennies.

The biggest thing to remember is that Pitt can just keep Kessel. But I don’t think Kessel wants to be in Pitt, so his likelyhood to waive for a team not on his list increases every day. JR can shop him to any team he wants if Kessel is willing to waive, which I bet he does if JR tells him “hey Arizona is being a bunch of a-holes you’re not getting traded there”.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They still got a return for Kessel, albeit a poor one. The Chayka suggestion was the Penguins paying Arizona to take him, which is downright ridiculous. There's a difference between "I'll give you a 2nd for Kessel" and "pay us to take Kessel", the latter is a slap in the face.

I thought they were talking about Marleau because there has been a discussion about the Leafs adding to Marleau to get someone to take him.

Again, there's a huge difference between "a huge return" and "pay us to take him". Chayka saying "we'll take Kessel if you throw in a sweetener" is a slap in JR's face, it's Chayka being a clown. It's the same crap that HFers do when they post "I don't want this player, but I'll give you an insultingly bad package for him".

Az can’t afford Kessel, he doesn’t fit the stage of the team, and AZ really would rather have Tocchet work with the young players than spend time on making sure his 32 veteran player is happy. It’s just not a fit. So why would AZ even offer anything close to market value given this scenario and how the assets AZ is willing to move are valued at a premium by other teams facing a massive cap crunch? AZ has to prioritize things because of their limited budget and quite frankly Kessel isn’t close to the top item on their wish list. That’s why the offer is where it’s at. If everything else falls through AZ will revisit but right now Kessel is somewhere around Plan G or H.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Toronto was in a very similar spot with Kessel and Pittsburgh though, and Pitt still gave a pretty solid return.

Chayka is dumb if he thinks he’s getting Kessel for pennies. 75 cents on the dollar sure, but not pennies.

The biggest thing to remember is that Pitt can just keep Kessel. But I don’t think Kessel wants to be in Pitt, so his likelyhood to waive for a team not on his list increases every day. JR can shop him to any team he wants if Kessel is willing to waive, which I bet he does if JR tells him “hey Arizona is being a bunch of a-holes you’re not getting traded there”.
I don’t think AZ cares if they land Kessel to be honest. If he’s traded elsewhere that’s fine.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I don’t think AZ cares if they land Kessel to be honest. If he’s traded elsewhere that’s fine.
Maybe. But I don’t see why that would be the case.

A team in the desert that struggles scoring and barely misses playoffs, here comes a ppg player basically begging to play for you and you turn your back? Doesn’t seem wise. Especially since Kessel would come at a discount

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
if the Coyotes didn't really want Kessel, they should nut up and tell JR that they're not interested. seems like they'd rather waste his time.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
It’s just the market circumstance. The Pens have so few options. Say you’re the only bidder for a house. Is there any reason to submit a ‘fair’ offer?
Yeah, but the Pens don’t have to sell this house. They’d move if they get an offer they like, but if they don’t, they just live there for another year.

Reactions: domaug

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, but the Pens don’t have to sell this house. They’d move if they get an offer they like, but if they don’t, they just live there for another year.

I think that's Arizona's bet - that the Kessel/Pittsburgh relationship has run it's course and will come to an end this offseason. I think the fact that Bob McKenzie basically assured a Kessel move is evidence of that, considering Bob is kind of a fence sitter for this stuff.

If you're the Penguins though, and you keep Kessel, how else is the roster going to improve? Where's the cap space to make those moves? How can you explain to fans that you're bringing back the same roster that got exposed in the playoffs?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I think that's Arizona's bet - that the Kessel/Pittsburgh relationship has run it's course and will come to an end this offseason. I think the fact that Bob McKenzie basically assured a Kessel move is evidence of that, considering Bob is kind of a fence sitter for this stuff.

If you're the Penguins though, and you keep Kessel, how else is the roster going to improve? Where's the cap space to make those moves? How can you explain to fans that you're bringing back the same roster that got exposed in the playoffs?
Very easily. You tell the fans that there wasn’t a fair deal to be made so we have to wait. Once again, if you are JR you call around to get deals you like from a couple different teams and forget his list. You then go to him and say, “these are the teams who want you. Which one do you want to go to, or would you rather stay here?”

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
I think many Penguin fans are down for this deal.

It kind of sucks because Bjugstad has been a relatively solid 3C for us, but Faksa like Zucker is probably the best we are looking at.

I think the proposed Faksa, Nichuskin and Honka for Kessel and JJ would be relatively intriguing.
Any deal moving JJ is intriguing haha

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

A team in the desert that struggles scoring and barely misses playoffs, here comes a ppg player basically begging to play for you and you turn your back? Doesn’t seem wise. Especially since Kessel would come at a discount
not having the budget to pay him is kind of an obstacle.

Other options available including another thread that is going regarding the sweetener they can garner by taking on Marleau’s one Year left on his deal.

Pay a relative premium for 32 year old that doesn’t fit timeline or get a premium asset to take the cheaper Marleau?

Honestly, I don’t want AZ to pursue either one. The real potential value is in pursuing deals with Tampa, Vegas, etc who are up against the cap who need to make deals for futures (which is what AZ wants to offer).

It’s not that I don’t like Kessel. He’s one of my favourite personalities in the game. If he was 28 I’d be a heck of a lot more enthusiastic about acquiring him. At 32 he’s just not a priority and if his salary prohibits AZ from making other roster moves then I’m definitely not in favour.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

As a fan, I agree with you.

I could also see why a General Manager would look for a younger target that would require less in terms of younger assets in acquisition cost.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This is so baseless.

Baseless how? It's clear the Coyotes don't really want Kessel, unless it's at a big discount. They're holding up any trades, because Kessel is still hoping that Arizona will pull through and won't budge on his 8 team clause until the Arizona talk dies.

Remember that Kessel has not officially said no to Minnesota, he told JR to look for other options. Meaning that the Coyotes are in fact wasting JR's time if they're not going to give a decent offer.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Baseless how? It's clear the Coyotes don't really want Kessel, unless it's at a big discount. They're holding up any trades, because Kessel is still hoping that Arizona will pull through and won't budge on his 8 team clause until the Arizona talk dies.

Remember that Kessel has not officially said no to Minnesota, he told JR to look for other options. Meaning that the Coyotes are in fact wasting JR's time if they're not going to give a decent offer.
This is fantastical speculation.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Why would/should Arizona care about any of that? Every day that goes by just makes it more likely and less costly for Arizona to get Kessel.

Reactions: hbk

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Why would/should Arizona care about any of that? Every day that goes by just makes it more likely and less costly for Arizona to get Kessel.
No quite the opposite actually. Everyday that goes by that Chayka won’t up his offer the less likely Arizona is to land Kessel.

It’s clear Kessel doesn’t want to be in Pitt anymore, but he’s got 3 years left on his deal and we don’t have to trade him. If JR says “hey AZ won’t pay up for you looks like you’re staying in Pitt”, Kessel will waive to go some other place.

If not we keep him. Very simple. AZ is gonna beat themselves in this chess match.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Josh Yohe said today that he thinks Kessel would rather play in Minnesota than stay in Pittsburgh, and that he thinks a deal will be done by the draft. Just for what it's worth, I think that if a deal with another team doesn't get done by the draft, Kessel for Zucker will happen.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Josh Yohe said today that he thinks Kessel would rather play in Minnesota than stay in Pittsburgh, and that he thinks a deal will be done by the draft. Just for what it's worth, I think that if a deal with another team doesn't get done by the draft, Kessel for Zucker will happen.
The thing I wish was made public was the teams that JR has tried to contact. I hope he’s doing his due diligence with every team, not just Kessel’s list.

The more desperate Kessel gets to get out of Pitt the more likely he will be accept a trade to a place not on his list. Min, Nsh, Col, Dal, Stl, Car, Cgy, NJ... could be realistic buyers of Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad