Rumor: All Purpose Phil Kessel Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kessel torpedoed it.

Minnesota was one of the 8 teams on Kessel's trade list the last time he was traded, but that was also in 2015. So I wouldn't be surprised for Kessel to say no, but I also think Minnesota is one of the most logical destinations that he'd allow.

Reactions: JackFr

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota was one of the 8 teams on Kessel's trade list the last time he was traded, but that was also in 2015. So I wouldn't be surprised for Kessel to say no, but I also think Minnesota is one of the most logical destinations that he'd allow.

If he’s looking to grow old, get fatter, go golfing every May and then retire Minnesota definitely makes sense.

If he still actually wants to compete I don’t see how it does.

But alas, where there’s smoke...

Reactions: Trade

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If we're talking about hanging out with family and stuff yeah, but he can do that in the summer. If his priorities are more about who his linemates are going to be and how competitive the team is likely to be for the next few years he'd have some legitimate concerns right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we're talking about hanging out with family and stuff yeah, but he can do that in the summer. If his priorities are more about who his linemates are going to be and how competitive the team is likely to be for the next few years he'd have some legitimate concerns right now.

If he’s looking to grow old, get fatter, go golfing every May and then retire Minnesota definitely makes sense.

If he still actually wants to compete I don’t see how it does.

But alas, where there’s smoke...

I honestly don't know that Kessel cares about this stuff now that he has 2 cups. I don't think Kessel has the drive that guys like Crosby has.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i wouldn't worry just yet Wild fans, it seems like it's just preliminary testing-the-waters talks.

i base that on no real information though and i haven't read the article.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I honestly don't know that Kessel cares about this stuff now that he has 2 cups. I don't think Kessel has the drive that guys like Crosby has.
Winning Cups might not be as big a deal as it would be for most players. But if he's been cranky about playing on Pittsburgh's 3rd line he's probably not going to be over the moon about any of Minnesota's right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i wouldn't worry just yet Wild fans, it seems like it's just preliminary testing-the-waters talks.

The first sentence of the article states that the two teams have a trade proposal in place, so listen, I’m going to take this opportunity to start panicking.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Winning Cups might not be as big a deal as it would be for most players. But if he's been cranky about playing on Pittsburgh's 3rd line he's probably not going to be over the moon about any of Minnesota's right now.

If it’s strictly about minutes and usage then he’ll definitely get the best of those here. If it’s about quality of linemates, you’re right, he’s probably going to be playing with Staal and Parise/Donato.

Also, if the reason Kessel is coming here is because he doesn’t care about competing anymore and just wants to finish out his contract at home, why would we want him here?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it’s strictly about minutes and usage then he’ll definitely get the best of those here. If it’s about quality of linemates, you’re right, he’s probably going to be playing with Staal and Parise/Donato.

Also, if the reason Kessel is coming here is because he doesn’t care about competing anymore and just wants to finish out his contract at home, why would we want him here?
Fair. And I don't mean to imply that he'd obviously hate the situation in Minnesota, I just think it's a bigger factor than playing for the Gophers.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC

From the article:

'The deal has been on the table for days. It is believed the only holdup at this time is Kessel, who has the right to veto the trade.'

The article mentions Zucker potentially being involved, as well as Rask/Johnson.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we're talking about a deal that's essentially Zucker for Kessel he'd be far from an idiot. Even if you add in whatever cap shenanigans that Rask/Johnson talk implies.

Sorry, for a second I blacked out and thought you said part of the supposed deal is us taking Jack Johnson. What a bad dream that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad