Indy: All-Purpose non-WWE Wrestling Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh God not me. I'd go all in and almost outright declare war on WWE. I'd tell Dixie to **** off and make her sell all her shares and I'd immediately cease operations of TNA for several weeks, maybe even months. Me and my guys would rebrand the product, reset the title picture, create all new story lines and start everything from scratch. We'd hire brand new everything from writers to executives to oversee the business and create a brand new vision for the company. Meanwhile I'd honor the contracts of the current wrestlers and negotiate to get some new ones.

A few features of the promotion

- A new name for the company like NAWA (North American Wrestling Association) but stick with TNA if we can't think of anything better

- 4 sided ring with red ropes like Raw

- 4 major PPV's a year set apart from the Big 4 of WWE as not to impose direct competition.... yet

- The flagship show will be live from 7-9 PM EST on Wednesdays if we can negotiate that time slot

- If we can get the live show, promote the hell out of it for at least a month before the show starts to maximize interest.

- Establish "Attitude Era" atmosphere at live events as much as humanly possible

- PG programming that is 70% on par with current WWE standards and about 30% consistent with the Ruthless Aggression era of 2002-2003.

Examples: romantic storylines but no over-sexualization the female talent. i.e a story line with an affair is not off limits. And programming with a kiss and a door closing to with to imply they're gonna get it on would also not be off limits but that would also constitute the limit. Circumstances like this would be rare but they'd still happen

- Swearing would not off limits but there would be a strict and established quota because there's a very fine line between a guy saying "Get your ass out here" to call him out or a wrestler disagreeing with the GM booking him in a cage match the next week saying "You're a real piece of **** you know that?" and a straight up trailer park trash, Jerry Springer show

- 3 or 4 primary championships with all new beautiful belts: World Heavyweight Championship, Tag Team Championship and a middle weight championship that both the mid-carders and "cruiserweight" class can compete for and POSSIBLY a Women's Championship if we have the talent for it.

- The institution of wrestling managers like Bobby Heenan like in the 1980's and there would be backstage scenes or during the fights where they talk to their client about fight strategy i.e "You gotta keep Mysterio isolated at center of the ring. Remember: stay way from the ropes and the corners. Get too close and he's gonna carve you up. He's simply too good to not take advantage of you. You're much bigger than him and you can wear him down in the middle. Ground and pound and you've got this won."

- Emphasis upon payday i.e World Champion makes more money than the rest of the guys

- "Anything goes" matches on TV would be rare (maybe once a month) but they would be preceded by warnings from the announcers like, "Ladies Gentlemen up next we have (wrestler A) vs (wrestler B) in an anything goes match for the #1 contendership to the World Heavyweight Championship. That means anything can and WILL happen here tonight and discretion is advised for a match like this. Because I can assure you this is gonna get ugly in a hurry" and it the spots and weapon would be consistent with the Attitude Era WWF.

- Blading would not be off limits but would be rare.

If I can think of anything else I'll say it but that's the kind of vision I would have for the company if I were to take over it. The biggest thing is that people know what TNA is and it is firmly established as the 2nd highest level of wrestling in North America and with proper leadership and re-branding I don't see why I can't do better than it is right now.

I honestly think that if you can give the fans at least 6 months of GOOD quality programming that is better than WWE (which doesn't seem to be that hard) and they'd run to it like a moth to a flame

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh, I thought you were asking if we were Vince McMahon.

If I were rich I'd probably do it just to bring HFWF to life. Mainly to bury WhatCulture.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And after some deliberation the guitar opening of this song would be the intro music to Impact along with maybe a few lyrics

combine it with the same kind of imagery of the first 9 or 10 seconds of this ECW video with the letters "(whatever the initials of my promotion is called) WRESTLING" faded and slowly, yet subliminally coming across the screen ala how EXTREME does in this sequence

Add footage of a few high risk maneuvers during the "(whatever it's called) WRESTLING" sequence, with some punches, guys throwing up their gold on the turnbuckle, a few smiling heels and faces, maybe a couple shots of the women's talent looking beautiful, cutscene of the fireworks going off on the stage, maybe a hardcore spot or a chair shot and a pinfall.

The ultimate goal is to essentially create an exciting yet hypnotizing effect similar to when someone sees "XXX" come across the screen during highlights of an adult film. You see it and immediately indulge yourself without question.

Call it cheap marketing tactics but if I was gonna compete with Vince McMahon I'd pull out all the stocks

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Oh God not me. I'd go all in and almost outright declare war on WWE. I'd tell Dixie to **** off and make her sell all her shares and I'd immediately cease operations of TNA for several weeks, maybe even months. Me and my guys would rebrand the product, reset the title picture, create all new story lines and start everything from scratch. We'd hire brand new everything from writers to executives to oversee the business and create a brand new vision for the company. Meanwhile I'd honor the contracts of the current wrestlers and negotiate to get some new ones.

A few features of the promotion

- A new name for the company like NAWA (North American Wrestling Association) but stick with TNA if we can't think of anything better

- 4 sided ring with red ropes like Raw

- 4 major PPV's a year set apart from the Big 4 of WWE as not to impose direct competition.... yet

- The flagship show will be live from 7-9 PM EST on Wednesdays if we can negotiate that time slot

- If we can get the live show, promote the hell out of it for at least a month before the show starts to maximize interest.

- Establish "Attitude Era" atmosphere at live events as much as humanly possible

- PG programming that is 70% on par with current WWE standards and about 30% consistent with the Ruthless Aggression era of 2002-2003.

Examples: romantic storylines but no over-sexualization the female talent. i.e a story line with an affair is not off limits. And programming with a kiss and a door closing to with to imply they're gonna get it on would also not be off limits but that would also constitute the limit. Circumstances like this would be rare but they'd still happen

- Swearing would not off limits but there would be a strict and established quota because there's a very fine line between a guy saying "Get your ass out here" to call him out or a wrestler disagreeing with the GM booking him in a cage match the next week saying "You're a real piece of **** you know that?" and a straight up trailer park trash, Jerry Springer show

- 3 or 4 primary championships with all new beautiful belts: World Heavyweight Championship, Tag Team Championship and a middle weight championship that both the mid-carders and "cruiserweight" class can compete for and POSSIBLY a Women's Championship if we have the talent for it.

- The institution of wrestling managers like Bobby Heenan like in the 1980's and there would be backstage scenes or during the fights where they talk to their client about fight strategy i.e "You gotta keep Mysterio isolated at center of the ring. Remember: stay way from the ropes and the corners. Get too close and he's gonna carve you up. He's simply too good to not take advantage of you. You're much bigger than him and you can wear him down in the middle. Ground and pound and you've got this won."

- Emphasis upon payday i.e World Champion makes more money than the rest of the guys

- "Anything goes" matches on TV would be rare (maybe once a month) but they would be preceded by warnings from the announcers like, "Ladies Gentlemen up next we have (wrestler A) vs (wrestler B) in an anything goes match for the #1 contendership to the World Heavyweight Championship. That means anything can and WILL happen here tonight and discretion is advised for a match like this. Because I can assure you this is gonna get ugly in a hurry" and it the spots and weapon would be consistent with the Attitude Era WWF.

- Blading would not be off limits but would be rare.

If I can think of anything else I'll say it but that's the kind of vision I would have for the company if I were to take over it. The biggest thing is that people know what TNA is and it is firmly established as the 2nd highest level of wrestling in North America and with proper leadership and re-branding I don't see why I can't do better than it is right now.

I honestly think that if you can give the fans at least 6 months of GOOD quality programming that is better than WWE (which doesn't seem to be that hard) and they'd run to it like a moth to a flame

Basically all these things have been done already.

TNA was consistently better than RAW for a long time, most people don't care. Most WWE fans want to watch WWE and whatever they serve up. It's very difficult to break that brand allegiance, WWE is not just wrestling it's a giant part of particularly western pop culture and has been for a very long time, people don't watch wrestling they watch WWE. It's incredibly hard to break this today, a WCW situation is not possible in this landscape.

It's also important to consider what "better" is. I think ROH was consistently better than RAW a long time too but it doesn't matter. Smackdown is better than RAW, there's been plenty of times this is true, but it isn't RAW. The people whose opinion of "better" matters are the people who companies want to advertise to. The guy who DVRs everything, skips the advertising, pirates the PPV, that guy doesn't really matter. A lot of the more niche wrestling audience are more inclined to be these people also. Less so than the general consumer of wrestling, part of that is because finding these alternative wrestling options often requires investigation into alternative methods to watch wrestling.

There's been some garbage served up on RAW, a lot of people eat it because of the allegiance, the tradition. Aside from the fact that many of your ideas cost a crap load of money which you'd get little return on (the marketing dollars for wrestling are not what they were) the less expensive options have been tried and failed. Most people do not care enough beyond WWE and trying to follow WWE is time consuming enough with how much they have going on.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know what the hell was happening but the Hardys went from fighting a kangaroo to teleporting and leaving the tag titles behind a building where Decay picked them up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Christopher Daniels is the new ROH Champion, for the first time at 45 years old, after Kazarian turned on Adam Cole and thus the Bullet Club.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Basically all these things have been done already.

TNA was consistently better than RAW for a long time, most people don't care. Most WWE fans want to watch WWE and whatever they serve up. It's very difficult to break that brand allegiance, WWE is not just wrestling it's a giant part of particularly western pop culture and has been for a very long time, people don't watch wrestling they watch WWE. It's incredibly hard to break this today, a WCW situation is not possible in this landscape.

It's also important to consider what "better" is. I think ROH was consistently better than RAW a long time too but it doesn't matter. Smackdown is better than RAW, there's been plenty of times this is true, but it isn't RAW. The people whose opinion of "better" matters are the people who companies want to advertise to. The guy who DVRs everything, skips the advertising, pirates the PPV, that guy doesn't really matter. A lot of the more niche wrestling audience are more inclined to be these people also. Less so than the general consumer of wrestling, part of that is because finding these alternative wrestling options often requires investigation into alternative methods to watch wrestling.

There's been some garbage served up on RAW, a lot of people eat it because of the allegiance, the tradition. Aside from the fact that many of your ideas cost a crap load of money which you'd get little return on (the marketing dollars for wrestling are not what they were) the less expensive options have been tried and failed. Most people do not care enough beyond WWE and trying to follow WWE is time consuming enough with how much they have going on.

There's no doubt that other shows have been better than WWE for a long time but long ago Vince McMahon proved it's the same in wrestling as in politics. Whoever has the deepest pockets and garners the most exposure will win the allegiance of the masses. As a resident of the United States I live in a country where a rich, capitalist billionaire who didn't have the first clue about politics (other than saying "Maybe I'll run for president one day" since the 1980's) is the president and was appealing to millions "because he's not a politician."

Meanwhile you'll have others no one has ever heard. People who would make an outstanding president who have more integrity, truthfulness and great ideas in their little finger than a major candidate has in his/her whole body. Do they win? No. Does anyone one know who they are? HELL NO!! Point is Vince McMahon was able monopolize the wrestling business the way these big time politicians can win the presidency because he had the deeper pockets, he had the exposure and everything else withered away. Not to mention he won because he had the best product in the world at the time.

Small time promotions like ROH will never win out because they could have the greatest matches in the world but no one will ever know what it is.

And absolutely my ideas are costly. If you wanna beat Vince you've got to build an empire the same size as his and the only people capable of that are billionaires who have as much monetary resource to go into wrestling. Lucky for Vince ALL of his money goes into WWE.

My pipe dream is sadly nothing more than a pipe dream. But it's fun to have dreams anyway

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't know why you use RoH there. RoH are very much not an indy group, they are owned by a company who have pockets every bit as deep as WWE.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Hardy's are morons. That Roo could've literally killed them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AXS last night had Kenny Omega night. Matches vs. Naito and Goto from G1. Also, Shibata vs. Evil

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Haven't been able to watch of the indies yet, but Galloway went over Riddle and Lio Rush to start off Evolve's weekend, and then he walks out to WWE. I'm sure Gabe knew about it, but that's still pretty ******.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad