Indy: All-Purpose non-WWE Wrestling Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hardys confirmed for WWE then surely

Yes, that's been sort of assumed. They claim they haven't had their physicals or anything done yet, but there's reports to the contrary.

Haven't been able to watch of the indies yet, but Galloway went over Riddle and Lio Rush to start off Evolve's weekend, and then he walks out to WWE. I'm sure Gabe knew about it, but that's still pretty ******.

WWE is working with Evolve, because I think they're working with that whole WWN group. Might be a bit presumptuous or too simply put, but I don't think Evolve would feel so incredulous about it.

I figured they would want Galloway for the UK territory they're starting after there was talk that Galloway wanted to work primarily out of the UK with WhatCulture being his home promotion. He wouldn't have been able to continue there in that kind of capacity, but he still would've been on that scene.

When you think harder about it though, NXT doesn't really have any real British stars and the landscape of Wrestling in 2017 is calling for it. The UK is just so hot right now. You sort of have the guys they had in the UK Tournament, but 2 of any of those guys put together aren't Drew Galloway, and WWE knew that going into the tournament.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't think you'd get Galloway to sign for just a UK contract. Especially when they'd stop him from working a fair number of shows in the process. He's far too big for that, and he'd have far bigger offers on the table (for sure from TNA, also the World of Sport group).

And I don't think the Galloway deal is much about WWE getting him, it's all about stoping the World of Sport show from getting him. They don't want to have the new UK shows from having a big star.

As for UK guys in NXT, you've got Killian Dian and Nikki Storm for a start. Tommy End has just got a super star debut, and he's considered a local too. So it's not like there isn't anyone there.

But the problem is that the actual UK stars can't be signed. Sabre Jr. wasn't interested, and has since singed with NJPW. Ospreay is signed with NJPW and RoH, Scurll is with RoH as well. The next wave of guys are still in the process of breaking out, and WWE already has a lot of them signed. Once guys start to stand out on the UK show I expect them to be signed to full NXT deals.

As for who actually goes to NXT in the near future, I do expect to see British Strong Style sooner or later. Especially with the deal with PROGRESS happening "soon(TM)" giving them a base to work from. The act is very over, and they're all good. WWE have already shown big interest in all three of them in just the one UK event they had.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Meltzer on Galloway, it was a last min deal to get him signed. He's going to be allowed to drop his title on WCPW and such.

The NJPW shows in the US sold out within an hour. And the secondary market is very empty so it was legit instant sellout, not scalpers getting them. Massive success for NJPW as they did very little marketing for them, and it's their first trip to america. Hopefully it'll make them want to take more trips to bigger buildings down the line.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
WWE is working with Evolve, because I think they're working with that whole WWN group. Might be a bit presumptuous or too simply put, but I don't think Evolve would feel so incredulous about it.

Oh I'm sure Gabe doesn't really care, it's more Riddle and Rush. I'd be pretty pissed to job to a guy who the next night makes it clear he's leaving. Riddle and Rush aren't some jobbers, they're two of the very best guys going around, it seems ridiculous, whether it's Drew or Gabe at fault, for them to lose. At least Riddle will be getting his win back.

Anyway, started dipping my toes into the indies/ROH. It doesn't seem like there's any matches as good as Ospreay vs Zack Sabre Jr at Evolve 58 (or Ospreay vs Ricochet at E59. Or Ospr...you get the picture). It seems like there's a lot more shows and the overall quality has probably suffered for it. (that's WWE's thing!)

Marty Scrull vs Adam Cole (ROH) was excellent, easier the best Cole match I've for ages. Scrull is so good. On Cole: (Spoiler) [spoil]I can't help but feel Cole has totally wasted the last two years of his career by not using the package piledriver as a move until now, when he's basically out of here. It would have made sense for him to adopt it when Big Kev left and frankly, it's a helluva lot better than his current finisher. Oh well.[/spoil]

Young Bucks vs The Hardy Boyz (ROH) hardly needs any words. It's the bucks vs the hardys in a ladder match of course it's gonna be awesome. Must see. [spoil]Matt Hardy really put over the Bucks, it was so nice to hear, and Jeff singing "fade away and classify ourselves as obsolete." was a good touch [/spoil]

Team Ricochet vs Team Ospreay (WrestleCon SuperShow, available on the highspots network) was a crazy spotfest. Insane stuff, bit of comedy, great fun. Doesn't touch anything they did last year though.

I'll finish up watching the ROH card and some of the other stuff highspots has, and then move over to the FloSlam stuff. Joey Janela's Spring Break seems like it was the most fun, if not the best, show of the weekend, and I'm sure the Evolve cards had good stuff. I'm gonna have to track down this Mike Quackenbush vs Zack Sabre Jr match too, the match Quack had against Drew Gulak on Drew's way out was so good. You can watch that one here: https://www.facebook.com/CHIKARAPRO/videos/1140815579320820/

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, I've not seen any amazing matches so far. I've got a few shows left to watch, but I've not heard about any amazing match on them. Not like last year where there really some great ones like you said. But the shows have been good in general, easily worth the massive binge I'm partaking in.

On Galloway, him winning makes sense for the program they're doing at least. I don't think you should instantly reverse your booking when you find out a guy is leave, especially not when you know you'll have him for the blow off later. And it's not like he's going to screw you over or anything, with the partnership thing they've got going on.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Admittedly I haven't caught more than a few bits and pieces of TNA the last few years, but that final segment was pretty cool last night. Chris Masters, Matt Morgan, and Magnus all with surprise returns. Sucks that all of that gets leaked nowadays with the WWE cause those surprises were cool back in the day.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i only caught Supercard of honor. nothing out of ordinary. good to see El Volador ....
first and last matches were freaking fun as mentioned a few posts above.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Hiromu just did his best Lesnar in ending Kushida so fast. :amazed:

Ricochet challenging him, that will be insane.

Shibata is unreal, the forearm strikes and the head butt which split his head open!

Okada survives, another five star special from him, best in the world.

Fale is his next challenger, ugh.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess we'll see if Okada will be able to have a 5-star match with literally anybody. But that would seemingly be the final step before doing the rematch.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
What is the rating for the Shibata-Okada match?
I had been excited over the match ever since it was announced...
And I hope it...
At the very least...
Meets expectation.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Not had a chance to watch the show yet, probably gonna make time for it tonight. I expect greatness, 'cos that Okada base level for a big match.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I just watched the Shibata-Okada match...
And it really came as advertised.

Outside of the Shibata-Ishii 5-stars match...
This is likely my favourite Shibata match.
Now...
I love Shibata...
But the problem with his matches is that once a person experiences one...
Every match just feels the same.
That is why his critics always say that his strong style is old-fashioned and will go the way of the dinosaur...
Because it takes too much out of him...
Which is why he will never be a headline star...
Since he usually does not fight for more than 20 minutes.
In recent years though...
He has supplemented that strong style base with a lot of technical aspects...
So he is a more complete wrestler...
That can compete with any style.
In this one...
While his pride as a fighter continues to be his downfall...
As he still wants to go for that dominate victory...
He proves that his adjusted strong style can indeed hang with the big boys...
He can go for more than 15 minutes...
And he has firmly established himself as a title contender.

On the other side of the coin...
Okada just continues to impress.
In this latest run as champion...
He basically continues to chime out 5 stars single matches...
Night...
After night...
With pretty much any opponent...
And style.
I also love the storytelling...
As he wants to prove that he is indeed the ace that can take the company to new height...
So he continues to fight in his opponents' style...
In order to show his dominance.
This will likely be his downfall...
But in the meantime...
I am fine with the slow burn...
Because it will just make the time when he finally loses the title...
That much more climatic.

Unlike others...
I am actually fine with the selling.
This is just what Japanese wrestling looks like.
Sometimes the wrestlers will non-sell...
To show fighting spirit.
It also adds suspense...
Because nobody will know when the wrestler will get that second wind...
A big fight atmosphere...
Since the combatants will get up despite the damages they have taken...
And intensity...
Because it can be explained as adrenaline at work.

One of my favourite moments was when Okada hit Shibata with a sliding dropkick...
Only for Shibata to sit right back up...
And Okada...
Even with the camera behind him...
Just looks dejected.
While it is different from North American wrestling...
The psychology still makes sense...
And perhaps even richer than its counterpart.
The other one was after Shibata countered the rainmaker with kickers...
He took one straight on...
But he did not go down...
Even though his face writhed with pain.
That was a great sell by Shibata.

Now...
While I really like it...
I agree with many that this is not exactly a 5-stars match.
It is intense...
Full of emotions...
Had a seesaw battle that continues to keep the result in doubt...
And a hot crowd that wants to see the champion dethroned...
But it still misses that extra something in other 5-stars matches.
That said...
It is really close though...
So I will give a 4.75.

If people have time...
Please check it out.
This is just one great match.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I also heard that Shibata collapsed backstage...
And had to be taken to hospital.
I hope he is okay.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Now I've had the chance to watch the show, Okada vs Shibata is exactly the match you'd expect to see from the two of them in a title match in the main event. Was a great match.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He was diagnosed with subdural hematoma. He really has to settle down with his style.

Damn...
It is probably from that headbutt.

Now...
I think I know how he was able to draw blood every time he does it...
Since I read that he probably made a small cut before the match...
And he just hit that exact spot.
That said...
The headbutt is still as stiff as hell...
Because that thud cannot be simply replicated...
So hopefully...
After this incident...
He foregoes that in the future completely.
It is a dramatic image for sure...
But it is completely unnecessary...
Since everyone already trusts in Shibata's in-ring toughness...
And nobody actually wants anyone to die.

The surgery seemed to go fine...
So I hope he recovers quickly...
And we see him back soon.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, the headbutts really need to stop. They don't even add anything to the match, you can get a safe headbutt over well enough. In fact, I say they take away from the match as every time he does them I'm suddenly concerned about brain damage opposed to the match taking place.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, the headbutts really need to stop. They don't even add anything to the match, you can get a safe headbutt over well enough. In fact, I say they take away from the match as every time he does them I'm suddenly concerned about brain damage opposed to the match taking place.

I will say the same for Goto too.
His version is not as stiff...
But they are still stiffer than many I see on WWE TV.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
hard to say which move ****ed him up. cuz the whole match was headshot, after headshot.
pretty awesome stuff.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
It's not 100% confirmed it's real tbf, bit of talk it's an angle, but yes, I agree that the headbutts need to stop. Indeed, keyfabe-wise, this could be a way for Shibata to shake up his routine, as he's lost the big match and 'caused' a serious injury in doing so, so why not adjust his style.....a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad