All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Calgary is taking an aggressive stance. Does he have the stones to do it to his best players though ?

Gulutzan: Flames to lose ice time for penalties

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
the one thing this current situation does is make it seem like that extension was a really bone-headed move. I just don't know what the reasoning was...
I hope there's an out clause on that extension that only pays him 1 extra year as severance if he gets fired before the start of next season. Maybe that's why there was so much secrecy around the term...it's conditional on things turning around this year?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I hope there's an out clause on that extension that only pays him 1 extra year as severance if he gets fired before the start of next season. Maybe that's why there was so much secrecy around the term...it's conditional on things turning around this year?

well that would a good thing and would pretty much render the extension a non issue, but I doubt it's the case. I mean in a basic sense the extension IS a non-issue. It ain't my money after all, but it really seems like an unnecessary step to have taken.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Why does it matter how much $$$ he gets after he gets fired?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Because I think it's a factor in how much rope he gets.

I don't think it's a factor at all. As long as the team is in the hunt (like they are now) there won't be a coaching change. If it goes off the rails and we head towards the basement of the standings they will take the necessary steps. The org put a lot into the #risetogether. They put pressure on themselves to succeed.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Because I think it's a factor in how much rope he gets.

When Noel signed that one year extension in the summer of 2013, the writing was on the wall.

Like you, I'm wondering if the terms of Maurice's extension are being kept quiet to prevent another situation like 2013-14, where players know that the coach is on the hot seat and start tuning him out when things go south.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I don't think it's a factor at all. As long as the team is in the hunt (like they are now) there won't be a coaching change. If it goes off the rails and we head towards the basement of the standings they will take the necessary steps. The org put a lot into the #risetogether. They put pressure on themselves to succeed.

Optimism isn't a bad thing, but I've seen enough to not to jump any conclusions. There might not be a backup plan should Maurice continue on these rails and the much needed changes might take a lot longer to happen. We'll just have to wait and see while praying that the frustration don't get the best out of us. There's light at the end of the tunnel whenever Maurice isn't blocking it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Optimism isn't a bad thing, but I've seen enough to not to jump any conclusions. There might not be a backup plan should Maurice continue on these rails and the much needed changes might take a lot longer to happen. We'll just have to wait and see while praying that the frustration don't get the best out of us. There's light at the end of the tunnel whenever Maurice isn't blocking it.

Pascal Vincent could step in as interim coach tomorrow. He knows almost all the players

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Why does it matter how much $$$ he gets after he gets fired?

Why do you ignore that that's basically what I said? In the end it doesn't really matter. But it does seem like a strange decision to have made at the time it was made. It makes me wonder why?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Plus it saves money

I would hope that the next coach is hired after a proper search without having to "rush" Thecteam could interview several candidates and do proper due diligence.

An interim move allows this to take place. My reasons are not financial but should it occur Vincent would get a raise (could even be specified in his current contract) and they would still need a coach for the Moose. It's not a "free" move

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I would hope that the next coach is hired after a proper search without having to "rush" Thecteam could interview several candidates and do proper due diligence.

An interim move allows this to take place. My reasons are not financial but should it occur Vincent would get a raise (could even be specified in his current contract) and they would still need a coach for the Moose. It's not a "free" move
I suppose so...it seems so convoluted right now.
This whole front office situation is feeling Oiler like at the moment.

Reactions: Board Bard

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why do you ignore that that's basically what I said? In the end it doesn't really matter. But it does seem like a strange decision to have made at the time it was made. It makes me wonder why?

Are you @Gmoney? I was responding to his post(s)

Sorry you feel ignored but it's hard to see how that applies here

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
For a coach who has over a 1000 games under his belt, he is not a very intelligent coach if he hasn't got on to on how to improve the PP and PK since both are in the bottom 15.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
PoMo literally tries to sell fans that fringe players like Hendricks and Tanev are difference makers and how players like Dano, Petan, Connor, even Laine to an extent are young simpletons who needs to learn to play the game correctly

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we should be concerned that the Jets may have guaranteed millions of dollars to Paul Maurice over the next few years and because of that, they'll stick with him for far longer than they should. He's the Ondrej Pavelec of coaches. There you go, in fact...a recent example of the Jets exhibiting loss aversion behavior. We signed Pavelec to a deal, and by God, he's going to be here for the entire term, we're not going expend much effort or money to try to improve on him, we're going to give him every chance to be the starter in spite of all the evidence that he's not one. It's human nature and it's difficult to overcome - the aversion to wasting tangible resources is wired in. I've seen very little evidence that this organization is able to deal with it.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
each playoff game missed costs tnse how much? maybe one or two million? if a coaching change was seen to be the key to a playoff appearance versus missing out I don't think tn would hesitate.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Pascal Vincent could step in as interim coach tomorrow. He knows almost all the players

He should. Also after seeing the list of potential replacements I'm not absolutely thrilled of having anyone of them despite of being quite confident that no one could do worse. If I had that pick in the pocket I would do my best to get Jukka Jalonen here. Sure, perhaps not as a head coach at first but assistant or some other position to get him comfortable with the new environment and culture. He could step up later on. Probably the best coach not in the NA right now and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the NHL teams had him on a radar at some point. Of course the idea sounds absurd to NA fans, but then again, it's not the first time an European coach has been behind the bench in the league.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
each playoff game missed costs tnse how much? maybe one or two million? if a coaching change was seen to be the key to a playoff appearance versus missing out I don't think tn would hesitate.
An interesting thing about the psychology of loss aversion is that it makes you do irrational things. .915 goaltending gets the Jets to the playoffs in probably 3 or 4 out of their 5 misses, and yet...

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Finally found our goaliecoach. She is one of the best and youngest we have in Sweden, and she is delevering qualite goalies like noone else in Sweden, and she is in cutting edge when it is coming to developing new techniques. Who is she: Linda Blomqvist. She is the one!! (Yeah, I know she is a girl so it would never happend....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad