Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Been saying it for awhile. If I was Kayes I look at the log jam of bottom six prospects and the fact there won't be many openings on the Hawks any time soon and sign elsewhere. It's honestly what's in his best interests.

Sucks for us though.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Too deep offensively to sign Hayes. We will return 100% of our forwards next year and potentially, the year after that. 2nd rounder in 2015 is a good pick.

Look at khayes situation like a pick deferral.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yea I understand that. This was a distinct possibility at trade time tho.

From stan's perspective the worst case scenario was:
Jayes, Olsen and losing kayes for Versteeg @2.2 and a second rounder

It makes the deal make more sense because I thought, at the time, that the trade was very lopsided for the Hawks.

Kevin Hayes is going to be changing teams a lot if he's always going to chase playing with his bother. If he doesn't sign here, I doubt that's the main factor.

I think K.Hayes will go to Calgary or Boston, New York (R) or Buffalo.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He's a decent bottom 6 player?

Decent is being generous. And being an OK bottom 6 player is more or less a dud in my eyes, depending on the hype of the player. In this case, Kayes is a 1st round pick, and tearing up BC. A dud would be an OK bottom 6 player.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That's a nice positive spin.

Well it's not like the Hawks can do anything about it if K.Hayes doesn't want to sign here. Would you rather be mad at Bowman (/Wirtz) for putting a great, deep roster on the ice every night - backed with a great, deep pipeline in the system?

Sucks for Chicago, but it says more about the strength of our system/team than anything else.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
A pick deferal where we drop thirty spots

Unfortunately yes.

The prospect pool is too deep. Look at Pirri. We developed that dude into the AHLs leading scorer and got a 3rd and 5th.

Since we know that in all likelihood Hayes would have spent two years in Rockford, what do you think his return would be by the end? 3rd and 5th at best? Rather have a 2015 #54 than that.

Yes, I'm spinning it. But really it isn't the end of the world. There is a likely scenario where this works out for the best for the team and the player.

I'm worried about johns now.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think it's guaranteed that K.Hayes would have spent 2 years in Rockford. He could have challenged for a roster spot next season IMO. Not saying he would have made it, but depending on the impression he made on the coaching staff, he could have put himself on the fast-track to the Hawks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm worried about johns now.

Makes me wonder if the Hawks know/knew that Kayes and Johns wouldn't be singing here, so they were proactive in signing a couple of high profile UDCFA's.

Not a big deal to me, I would rather have players that want to play here than players who only care about themselves.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
A 2nd round pick in 2015 could be just as good as the 1st in 2010 we used on Kayes. I've heard it's a really deep draft.

It's way to early to talk about the depth of next years draft. At this point, all we can tell is that the top-end of the draft looks to be the best in recent memory.

Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Noah Hanifin, Zach Werenski, Travis Konecny, Mathew Barzal, Mitchell Marner..

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think it's guaranteed that K.Hayes would have spent 2 years in Rockford. He could have challenged for a roster spot next season IMO. Not saying he would have made it, but depending on the impression he made on the coaching staff, he could have put himself on the fast-track to the Hawks.

Whose spot is he taking? The 4th line is great. Morin? Versteeg? Shaw?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

There might be one opening if we let Smith walk - which would be a mistake.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't see Johns signing here either. I wouldn't.

Losing Kayes sucks. Wonder who's the first to blame this on Bowman/Q.

I still think the Hawks will sign Johns. There will be spots on defense in the next couple years and Johns would come into the Hawks system and instantly be the 2nd most promising Dman in the system (first, depending on how you'd rank him and Clendening).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's way to early to talk about the depth of next years draft. At this point, all we can tell is that the top-end of the draft looks to be the best in recent memory.

Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Noah Hanifin, Zach Werenski, Travis Konecny, Mathew Barzal, Mitchell Marner..

Too early for us, never too early for scouts.

I think there is a reason why NHL teams are trying to load up on 2015 picks instead of 2014 picks.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Well it's not like the Hawks can do anything about it if K.Hayes doesn't want to sign here. Would you rather be mad at Bowman (/Wirtz) for putting a great, deep roster on the ice every night - backed with a great, deep pipeline in the system?

Sucks for Chicago, but it says more about the strength of our system/team than anything else.

I'm not mad at all. A little angry at the circumstances maybe, but definitely not mad.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There might be one opening if we let Smith walk - which would be a mistake.

I'm a Smith fan, and I don't think it would be. I mean, I like him, and I'd like to keep him, but I do believe there are better options on the horizon.

And while there wouldn't be many openings, there would be injuries and K.Hayes could easily put himself in a position to be one of the first call-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad