Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
That's disappointing news about Hayes, but we still don't know for sure what he's going to do.

I still think Johns will sign for sure. Leddy, Rundblad, Oduya, and Rozsival's contracts all run out after next season, so worst case scenario he's looking at a year in Rockford if he continues to develop and improve. Probably only one of Leddy/Oduya will remain a Hawk, and someone might even be traded before then.

This might be overly optimistic, but we could be looking at another Seabrook. Big, physical, and a hard shot from the point.

Losing Johns would be a bigger loss than losing Hayes IMO. But I hope they both sign.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Clendening, Johns and Pirri are all NHL players. Saad is a stud. Also, why include picks pre-2009. This regime wasn't in place.

So, for Stan and Co. I'd say that hit % is a lot higher than you are letting on. Plus they found the 4th best player in the draft in the second round with Saad.

Neither Clendening nor Johns have played an NHL game as of yet.

There is no better than a one in five chance that a second round pick, all draftees, will have a significant amount of NHL games played by the fifth year of being drafted. Come back to me when they look like full time NHL players.

There is no way anyone here should accept trading a first round pick for a second round pick, and feel good about it. I don't. Do you???

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

There is no better than a one in five chance that a second round pick, all draftees, will have a significant amount of NHL games played by the fifth year of being drafted. Come back to me when they look like full time NHL players.

There is no way anyone here should accept trading a first round pick for a second round pick, and feel good about it. I don't. Do you???

It's not good, but it isn't the end of the world. Like I said, we will probably be filling his roster spot with Hjalmarsson + getting a 2nd rounder. Par for the course, might end up better off.

Not like its Phoenix losing Wheeler or the Ducks losing Shultz.

Nothingman*

If Hayes/Johns walk then I hope Bowman stops drafting so many NCAA guys

Bingo. I was wondering the same thing. If we lose prospects because of this then I think the tact may change. I would at least. I know we are deep but at least get the prospects in the fold and you have some trade pieces other than basically a second and nothing. I know we are deep but we need to keep it deep. That doesn't happen by them walking.

If you look back at early in the year I wondered if Hayes wasn't overvalued to begin with. With his scoring being against mostly scrub teams. I know HS likes him but.....I just have wondered. He didn't take off until this year. I don't think we will miss him. Johns....we will miss as we have nothing like him in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm disappointed in losing a prospect because I'm greedy but:

Smith, (25), Kruger (23), Shaw (22), Saad (21), Teravainen (19) to go along with Morin (22), McNeill (21), Danault (21), Nordstrom (21), Hartman (19) in the system... the Hawks should be ok on forwards for the next few years at least.

Agreed that losing Johns would be a much bigger blow if he decided not to sign.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA

What can you do about it though? All we can do is take heart in the fact that our roster and prospect pool is so deep that Hayes wants to sign elsewhere.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Bingo. I was wondering the same thing. If we lose prospects because of this then I think the tact may change. I would at least. I know we are deep but at least get the prospects in the fold and you have some trade pieces other than basically a second and nothing. I know we are deep but we need to keep it deep. That doesn't happen by them walking.

Sorry, but you keep taking the player you think is the best available regardless of where he plays. This is such a rare occurance, you can't be worried about losing a kid you drafted in this manner.

Nothingman*

Sorry, but you keep taking the player you think is the best available regardless of where he plays. This is such a rare occurance, you can't be worried about losing a kid you drafted in this manner.

I would rather project forward than look historically. That being that most of our lines are set and if you are 21-22 yo you are most likely not willing to wait for an opening and miss a few good earning years when you can walk and step into a team out of college.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Rensfeldt comes to mind. I'm not convinced they are going to be able to sign Johns either. That's potentially three wasted picks.

It's a troubling trend. Obviously the club is in a great position regardless, but it's not something to just dismiss out of hand.

Rensfeldt just wasn't a good hockey player, had nothing to do with where he played (even though he played in the CHL). Kevin Hayes is really the only player as of late that (apparently) won't sign with us.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Rensfeldt just wasn't a good hockey player, had nothing to do with where he played (even though he played in the CHL). Kevin Hayes is really the only player as of late that (apparently) won't sign with us.

I understand the situations are different, but my real point is that losing out on 1st and 2nd round picks is not something to sneeze at.

Luckily Stan has loaded up on picks so these types of situations ultimately don't affect the organization as much.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I understand the situations are different, but my real point is that losing out on 1st and 2nd round picks is not something to sneeze at.

Luckily Stan has loaded up on picks so these types of situations ultimately don't affect the organization as much.

I wasn't saying that though. I'm simply saying, you can't shy away from NCAA players going forward because one left you at the alter, which is what BWC and Tone King were implying they should do.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Rensfeldt busted as a teenager. We didn't sign him because we didn't want too. And nobody else did either. Last I checked he was playing in the second division in Sweden.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Teams lose out on 1st and 2nd round picks on a regular basis though. Either by trade, losing them to Free Agency (ala Kayes), or them just not panning out.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Anyone know the plan with Whitney?

I would guess they're going to sign him. The injury complicates things, however he is back with the Tigres and has played games.

it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. Carruth has struggled mightly in the ECHL this year and Simpson's been up-and-down with Rockford.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Just want to add, Hayes is only not gonna sign because there's no room on the roster. If we're a bad team then this doesn't happen. It's a good problem to have provided he isn't the next superstar.

SLarmer28*

Just want to add, Hayes is only not gonna sign because there's no room on the roster. If we're a bad team then this doesn't happen. It's a good problem to have provided he isn't the next superstar.
How do you know that? Maybe Kevin Hayes is pissed at the Chicago Blackhawks for trading his brother.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Is there a $$$ limit on ELC for drafted players who graduate as Seniors then go free agent by refusing to sign with their drafting team? The new CHA h
as salary and bonus limits for Jr. Drafters who sign their ELC. .and college grad on an ELC I think are limited to just 2 yr contracts no matter if they sign with their drafting team or a different team..but there cannot be some extra monetary reason Hayes or Johns would opt to go elsewhere..It must be for either personal reasons or perceived opportunity for faster advancement and usage in bigger roles elsewhere. Am I correct that there is no financial reason of the first 2 yr contract why the Hawks would lose a college draftee. ..but rather only the quickest advancement issues and role insertion issues..Hayes might want to play im FLA with brother Jimmy. .and maybe he sees a top 2 line role faster there..or maybe on a.line with Gaudreau if he signs with CGY..Maybe he thinks he gets a one way contract for signing elsewhere and that might be the issue..but surely it cannot be straight bidding war..I am sure in that case Hawks would pay and either then trade for value back or trade others off the roster if they thought Hayes could be a big difference-maker..

Cannot see why Johns would reject them..again unless there is some unlimited amount to be had in a bidding war..but surely there is still a salary and bonus limit for 2 yr ELC from college free agents
? IF there is unlimited bidding then all NCAA drafters should never sign with their drafting team if their agents think another team will pay a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino