Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
John could see the top 4 locked up for the next 5 years at least. Does he see a btter shot of cracking a top 4 somewhere else.

Remember he holds the cards on this.

sure he holds the cards, but I don't see too many teams giving him a top 4 shot out of the gate next year outside of Edmonton :laugh: and I doubt he would ever want to go there.

he has played at Notre Dame for 4 years right across the border, I think he is more then happy to be a Hawk as the opportunity will come pretty fast for him here if the cap only goes to 68 mil. he will be needed at some point next year, not sure out of the gate but what kid doesn't want to play for a winner like the Hawks?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
sure he holds the cards, but I don't see too many teams giving him a top 4 shot out of the gate next year outside of Edmonton :laugh: and I doubt he would ever want to go there.

he has played at Notre Dame for 4 years right across the border, I think he is more then happy to be a Hawk as the opportunity will come pretty fast for him here if the cap only goes to 68 mil. he will be needed at some point next year, not sure out of the gate but what kid doesn't want to play for a winner like the Hawks?

The top three of Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson are locked up - not sure who you mean as the 4th guy. Hjalmarsson is a natural lefty but obviously can play the right side too so he can partner with anyone on the 2nd pairing. It looks to me that the 4/5/6 slots are not locked up because the salary cap may dictate Oduya and/or Leddy may need to be traded and Rozsival too for that matter. Rundblad, Clendening, Dahlback and others may not even be as good as Johns may be because until we see Johns play against professionals we won't know what his ceiling is and what areas he needs to improve upon.

If I'm Johns and have confidence in my abilities - I don't worry about a bunch of other prospects being in my way.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The top three of Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson are locked up - not sure who you mean as the 4th guy. Hjalmarsson is a natural lefty but obviously can play the right side too so he can partner with anyone on the 2nd pairing. It looks to me that the 4/5/6 slots are not locked up because the salary cap may dictate Oduya and/or Leddy may need to be traded and Rozsival too for that matter. Rundblad, Clendening, Dahlback and others amy not even be as good as Johns may be because until we see Johns play against professionals we won't know what his ceiling is and wnat areas he needs to improve upon.

If I'm Johns and have confidence in my abilities - I don't worry about a bunch of other prospects being in my way.

Hawkscap asked if Johns could find a better offer and play top 4 next year for another team. I never said Johns would be a top 4 guy for the Hawks next year so not sure where you got that from. I think at best he could start out at #6 depending on what we do with Rozi. Johns will get a chance before Dahlbeck IMO.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hawkscap asked if Johns could find a better offer and play top 4 next year for another team. I never said Johns would be a top 4 guy for the Hawks next year so not sure where you got that from. I think at best he could start out at #6 depending on what we do with Rozi. Johns will get a chance before Dahlbeck IMO.

I know - I wasn't implying you thought he would.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Just imagine a Hjalmarsson-Johns pairing. That would be beastly. Hammer would allow Johns to continue to play aggressive.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
John could see the top 4 locked up for the next 5 years at least. Does he see a btter shot of cracking a top 4 somewhere else.

Remember he holds the cards on this.

Leddy isn't technically part of the top-4 yet and there's no guarantee that he remains a Hawk past his contract (though he likely will).

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So....

@ChrisBlock: Bobby Shea went after Ty Rattle in the tunnel. Shea crawled across the concrete to get to the opposite mat as Rattie came off the ice.

@ChrisBlock: Bobby Shea got 5 PIM Elbowing & Gm Misconduct. 5 PIM for fighting. Then a 2nd Gm Misconduct for fighting Ty Rattie in the tunnel. #IceHogs

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
So....

@ChrisBlock: Bobby Shea went after Ty Rattle in the tunnel. Shea crawled across the concrete to get to the opposite mat as Rattie came off the ice.

@ChrisBlock: Bobby Shea got 5 PIM Elbowing & Gm Misconduct. 5 PIM for fighting. Then a 2nd Gm Misconduct for fighting Ty Rattie in the tunnel. #IceHogs
Rockford is so bush league.

I really wish the Hawks could move their affiliate. Ideally to the Wolves but I guess it'll never happen.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well both Notre Dame and North Dakota were banked yesterday night so do not advance to their respective Hockey East and NCHC Championship Finals..North Dakota plays off in a match against the other semi-final loser to decide third place today..They should both still be in the playdown regional for the Frozen Four.Notre Dame outset UMass-Lowell 35-22 but were stymied by Connor Helleybuck in net while Summerhayes in the Notre Dame net was not good letting in 2 shot goals good goaliea should have stopped and also the victim of 2 deflected own goals off Notre Dame Dmen. ..one of those was off Johns. But as I said they get another chance for glory in the Frozen Four playdown..However this still leaves a couple of Blackjack prospects still in it for their respective Conference Championship Finals today.. Miami Redhawks beat North Dakota to advance to their NCHC final and Ohio State plays Wisconsin for the Big Ten title after upsetting Minnesota yesterday night..So Blackjack drafted Anthony Louis gets a chance for glory with Miami in pursuit of the NCHC title. .he scored their 3rd goal last night on a shot from the high slot..He is a diminutive lttke forward at about 5'6 or 5'7 but quite stocky...very fast and plays with an edge...feisty... As for Ohio State. .. .Hawks have drafted Dmen Sa Jardine and back-up goaliea Matt Tompkins playing for them...though Tompkins plays behind starting goaliea Christian Free who is the biggest reason Ohio State got this far in their pursuit of the Big Ten Championship.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Heading home from work in a half hour, getting some food, chillin a bit, then gonna head to the Edge in Bensenville for Steel-USNTDP U18's. Getting there early, gonna be a full house scout-wise. Guessing there will be a Stan Bowman sighting, even. Tends to come out when the US teams are in town. Should be a good game, Steel have been playing well since starting the season in awful fashion. They have some solid prospects in their own right.

BGFalconHawks

Apr 2, 2013
Grayslake, IL
So....

Classic Bobby Shea, I've heard his coaches call him [mod] so many times in college. He started as a forward and was good for about 3 penalties a game. However he turned into a solid All Conference dman and settled down, looks like the idiot streak is back now that he's allowed to fight people.

Last edited by a moderator:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 5m

AHL suspends Rockford IceHogs' Bobby Shea eight games and Jared Nightingale six games for actions vs. Wolves on Friday. #brawling

Must have been some "hockey game" to be at last night.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Classic Bobby Shea, I've heard his coaches call him ---- so many times in college. He started as a forward and was good for about 3 penalties a game. However he turned into a solid All Conference dman and settled down, looks like the idiot streak is back now that he's allowed to fight people.
Lol... wow. Crawls around the cops and to get at Rattie in the tunnel.

CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well none of the Hawks prospects vying for their Conference championships in NCAA hockey managed to get all the way to a title...Miami lost 4-3 to Denver in the NCHC Final..but Hawks 6th rounded Anthony Louis got 2 of the Miami goals and almost tied it at the end. ..he finished the tournament with 4g+2a and was named to the NCHC tournament all star team...he lists at 5'7 150 lbs but loose a lot stocking than that to me.

North Dakota won the battle for 3rd place finish in the NCHC by beating Western Michigan 5-0.. Hawks draftees Luke Johnson (1a) and Nick Mattson (2a) contributed to North Dakota scoring.
So they failed to get to the Championship game but redeemed themselves for thear shut-out loss the night before in the semi-final.They will be going on to the Frozen Four regional playdowns.

In the Big Ten Final..Ohio State lost to Wisconsin 5-4. ..no Championship for Jaws drafters Sam Jardine
and Matt Tompkins.

Now many of our drafters in the NCAA get second chances as their teams await the seeding for the regional tournament playdown towards the Frozen Four.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Teams getting into the 4 Regionals in playdowns to the Frozen Four have been set.

Of interest to Hawks fans concerning teams with our draftees:

Vermont is the 4th seed in the East Regional and plays #1 seed Union of that Regional
in one of the semi-finals. Michael Paliotta is our drafters on Vermont.

Bottom College is the #1 seed in the Northeast Regional..they play #4 seed Denver in a semi-final in that Regional.. Kevin Hayes and Chris Clan are our drafters on BC.

Notre Dame made it in as #.

2 seed in the West Regional and so plays St.Cloud St. the #3 seed in that Regional in a semi-final. Stephen Johns and Vincent Hinostroza are our drafters playing for Notre Dame
#1 seed in the West Regional is Minnesota and they play#4 seed Robert Morris in a semi-final..Justin Holl is our drafters on Minnesota.

In the Mid-West Regional. .North Dakota made it in and is seeded 4th there..They play #1 seed

Wisconsin on a semi-final there. so Hawks draft picks Luke Johnson and Nick Mattson get a chance to win a semi and advance to their Regional final.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Myers said that she heard K.Hayes won't be signing with them, not that the Hawks don't want to sign him.

The Hawks will get a 2nd round pick if K.Hayes doesn't sign with them.

@TramyersCSN
Don't know the details. Just heard he probably won't be signing with them.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Myers said that she heard K.Hayes won't be signing with them, not that the Hawks don't want to sign him.

The Hawks will get a 2nd round pick if K.Hayes doesn't sign with them.

Really? Is it a supplemental pick like in the MLB? Didn't know that rule.

Deal looks good for Tallon now. Jayes, Kayes, Olsen for Versteeg and a 2nd.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Really? Is it a supplemental pick like in the MLB? Didn't know that rule.

Deal looks good for Tallon now. Jayes, Kayes, Olsen for Versteeg and a 2nd.

First - The trade and K.Hayes potentially signing with FLA aren't dependant on each other.

Second - We don't even know where K.Hayes may want to sign, or even that he doesn't want to sign with Chicago.

And yes, the Hawks will get a supplemental pick for K.Hayes refusing to sign with them.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick is awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Further to that:http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/

So, Chicago will get the 54th pick regardless of where they or any other team finish in the 2015 NHL entry draft.

So, Chicago will have at least two 2nd round picks in the draft next year and could have more depending on any moves they make this summer.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
First - The trade and K.Hayes potentially signing with FLA aren't dependant on each other.

Second - We don't even know where K.Hayes may want to sign, or even that he doesn't want to sign with Chicago.

And yes, the Hawks will get a supplemental pick for K.Hayes refusing to sign with them.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm
Yea I understand that. This was a distinct possibility at trade time tho.

From stan's perspective the worst case scenario was:
Jayes, Olsen and losing kayes for Versteeg @2.2 and a second rounder

It makes the deal make more sense because I thought, at the time, that the trade was very lopsided for the Hawks.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Further to that:http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/

So, Chicago will get the 54th pick regardless of where they or any other team finish in the 2015 NHL entry draft.

So, Chicago will have at least two 2nd round picks in the draft next year and could have more depending on any moves they make this summer.

Hawks do well with 2nd round picks + it's a really good draft. Not a terrible outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad