All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm sure Guy Boucher's short shelf-life at previous teams, whether it's Tampa, Drummondville, or Switzerland, has already been mentioned in this thread. His teams just seem to tune him out.

Granted the Sens are in the midst of a tough losing streak, but they just don't really seem to be having all that much fun right now - stiffled by the system, and exhausted by being brow-beaten by the coach, I can't imagine the coach has many more lives left.

Reactions: BigRig4 and aragorn

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Wasn't Desmarais on Power Corp with Chrétien?
I can see it now if we win with a puck of theirs ringing off a post.
"A post is a post is a post. And when it's posted, it's a post!"

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
I think so too, the only other potential buyer out there for the Sens that has been made public is that Demarais group although I have no idea if they were or are still interested but there could be other billionaires out there who may want to own an NHL franchise. The concern would be if they buy it to move the team or buy it to keep it here & build the new arena downtown. Too bad Canada doesn't have a number of Hi-Tech billionaires.
Any group that is going to be interested in buying the Sens is going to do so specifically to get in on the Lebreton development. I wouldn't start worrying about any new owners moving the team because the Sens are not the type of team that are ideal for relocation. And before any one mentions Québec, no group that is not Québecor is going to own a team in Québec.

Reactions: pepty

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
As I said in another post, puck luck and a goalie standing on his head will win a game but not turn the season around.

We have to actually be the better team.

When was the last time where this actually happened?
Absolutely right ... but they need some confidence for that to happen.. I am talking about a first step

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, we won (allowing 5 goals in the process)?

We followed that up with utter crap.

I chalk that up to luck more than actual improvement.
Anderson got pulled in that game.. Condo came in and did well but... I am not sure that game restored their confidence.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No, that's what I'm saying.

I think they need to actually play better to get that confidence back - not just luck into a win.
I see so what I said earlier was them lucking into a win .. I guess partly, but.. if they get some stops , like on the 1st goal last night, and maybe another great save ... that would help imo

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
No, that's what I'm saying.

I think they need to actually play better to get that confidence back - not just luck into a win.

HC Guy Boucher has lost the locker room. He has a 1-year shelf life it seems. I recall earlier this season he irked the Sens' best player and Captain Erik Karlsson by not starting him in an overtime game. Instead of trading some of the core players including Karlsson, Melnyk ought to give Boucher the pink slip. An NHL HC is more expendable than a team's core players.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think Boucher is a really good coach, but his style seems to be a "square peg, round hole" situation right now. We have probably the worst defence core in the league.. we can't afford to sit back and defend when we have Oduya/Ceci/Harpur/Phaneuf back there every night.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Boucher is a really good coach, but his style seems to be a "square peg, round hole" situation right now. We have probably the worst defence core in the league.. we can't afford to sit back and defend when we have Oduya/Ceci/Harpur/Phaneuf back there every night.

It's funny to watch a poor defensive team try to execute a defensive system.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure Guy Boucher's short shelf-life at previous teams, whether it's Tampa, Drummondville, or Switzerland, has already been mentioned in this thread. His teams just seem to tune him out.

Granted the Sens are in the midst of a tough losing streak, but they just don't really seem to be having all that much fun right now - stiffled by the system, and exhausted by being brow-beaten by the coach, I can't imagine the coach has many more lives left.

He won the championship in year three in Drummondville and was hired by the Habs org to coach Hamilton as a result. How is that a short shelf life?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Team needs more speed to play Boucher's system because as we saw last night the system success relies on the Sens being in the face of the other team and right on top of them.

Need for Speed. We can play fast, but it's much easier when you already have the foot speed to get their and stay on top of the puck

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three years, and then he was gone.

Honestly... you can't be serious

Because he was snatched up for a higher paying job? That's called a promotion, it happens when you do well at your job, not because you have a short shelf life. He moved on from Hamilton quickly too, again, not because of a short shelf life, but because a team offered him another promotion.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Honestly... you can't be serious

Because he was snatched up for a higher paying job? That's called a promotion, it happens when you do well at your job, not because you have a short shelf life. He moved on from Hamilton quickly too, again, not because of a short shelf life, but because a team offered him another promotion.

Sure, it's a promotion.

But he still hasn't exhibited the ability to show longevity in a role.

Tuned him out in Tampa. Tuned him out in Switzerland. Tuning him out in Ottawa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, it's a promotion.

So you agree that mentioning Drummondville as proof of a short shelf life is baseless as it seems quite clear he'd have been there at least one more year if not for being promoted and it doesn't actually tie in at all to your premise that players tune him out? Great. Glad we came to that understanding.

As for his team in Switzerland, they appear to have lost faith in him when he announced his intent to leave and search for work in the NHL and not pursue an extension with the club. Hard to judge how much is players not liking his system vs players feeling he`s abandoning them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sure, it's a promotion.

You a Sens fan Tak? or just in here stirring the pot? ... I'll take that back if you can back up any of your claims with some specific context about those teams and what went wrong.. and then how it was Boucher's fault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad