All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I have not seen the last two games at all because of work only highlights. Has Boucher changed his system and are playing a more traditional up tempo offensive attack? Or we are somehow still winning with his 1 3 1?

Same Coach, same system.

20172018-20638-cfdiff-5v5.png

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
In the few plays that I paid attention

NZ
it seemed like they still used one forechecker, but in a 1-2-2 that was positioned a bit more aggressively, challenging before the red line.

OZ
And in the offensive zone, F3 was a bit lower.

PK
And on the pk, their forwards pressured the points a bit more.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Boucher: There's been a major evolution in Chabot's game - Article - TSN

"Whatever the kid can take, we're going to give. And that's what we're doing with Chabot. Slowly you can see him grow and get more comfortable defensively - when it's time to go and when it's not. It's a major evolution with Chabot's game right now and it's just the way we wanted it and right now it's paying off," Boucher said on Tuesday morning leading into Ottawa's game against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Boucher felt like Chabot's last game against Tampa was the best of his brief 22-game NHL career to date. He logged more than 18 minutes of ice time, registered six shots on goal and collected an assist as part of the Senators 6-3 win over the Lightning. Chabot is now quarterbacking the first-unit power play -- a responsibility that has just been handed to him in the past week.

"Right now, we're reaping the repercussions of what we wanted to do with him," added Boucher.

At the start of the season, Boucher appeared adamant that the left-handed shooting Chabot would have to play on his off-side, because his system was predicated on the right defenceman being the puck carrier. Since Chabot's skill set lends himself to being a mobile, puck-moving defenceman, it appeared as though he would be forced to play on his right side under Boucher's system. But over the past couple of games, Boucher has been more willing to play Chabot on his natural left side and on Tuesday, he dismissed the notion that his system was so rigid that it couldn't be altered.
"The left side is more about gap control, stepping up is a bonus. It's not a must," explained Boucher.

All good to hear, hope to see Boucher lean more on the young guys.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Same Coach, same system.

Seems like either the coach has altered the system or the players have given the coach and the system the middle finger.

Also, playing your best 6 forwards together helps and playing your second best d-man more seems to have helped possession. Strange that it took GB so long to figure this out.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Seems like either the coach has altered the system or the players have given the coach and the system the middle finger.

Also, playing your best 6 forwards together helps and playing your second best d-man more seems to have helped possession. Strange that it took GB so long to figure this out.

I love when you guys make comments like this as if the coaching staff, led by Boucher, don't review film, usage metrics and game plan on a day-to-day basis. But I'm sure you sitting at home with nary but an overly generalized opinion understand the nuances of managing a bench at the NHL level moreso than a coaching staff paid six-to-seven figures and with an arsenal of video coaches and in-house stat tracking.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I love when you guys make comments like this as if the coaching staff, led by Boucher, don't review film, usage metrics and game plan on a day-to-day basis. But I'm sure you sitting at home with nary but an overly generalized opinion understand the nuances of managing a bench at the NHL level moreso than a coaching staff paid six-to-seven figures and with an arsenal of video coaches and in-house stat tracking.

Metrics?? NHL executives and coaches don't use metrics, they believe in the good old fashioned eye test. All I am saying is that putting our best offensive players on our top 2 lines and allocating them as our best 6 players has paid dividends and we have scored 12 goals in our past 2 games, its not rocket science.

Also, an arsenal of video coaches?? We have one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Same Coach, same system.

20172018-20638-cfdiff-5v5.png

So... allowing more shot attempts is the system? I really don't get what you're trying to illustrate with that graphic...

Both games over the weekend has significantly higher shot attempt rates (both team combined attempted) than the season average (139 CF/60 against SJ and 172/60 against, compared to the year average of 119 combine CF/60). Both games were significantly more up tempo, though that doesn't specifically speak to system played or any tweaks to it.

I thought we were more aggressive in trying to hold the zone offensively.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
May seem crazy but I can see a situation in which kleinendorst joins Ottawa coaching staff.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Where is this coming from?
Was just thinking about kleinendorst, why he's back, and what his future is here.
He was brought back because they like him we assume. But also could be as an option to take over in Ottawa. I mean bottom line is they like him enough to have him back. And he took the team all the way first time around.
I know, things could look better this time round but knowing this organization I wouldn't be surprised if is still considered an option should Boucher continue to suck. Crawford will be an option too.
Anyway was just thinking how it would be a bit strange to have him back only to say goodbye again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad