All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sit in the neutral zone, spread wide, wait for a mistake and counter attack.

If there is no mistake, clumsily get the puck out, and start all over.

Rinse and repeat.

The best part is the "stop attacking in the 3rd" approach. That's my favorite aspect of the Sens.

Our system is simple - capitalize on the opposing team's mistakes.

The core requirement for this system is to make fewer mistakes than the opposition.

We are failing miserably in this department.

Some of those mistakes can be mitigated by stellar goaltending which we do not have.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sit in the neutral zone, spread wide, wait for a mistake and counter attack.

If there is no mistake, clumsily get the puck out, and start all over.

Rinse and repeat.

The best part is the "stop attacking in the 3rd" approach. That's my favorite aspect of the Sens.
Bingo ,we have two elite skating PMD,s that play far too much in their zone...Why ???Because our forwards cant hold onto the puck for more than a few seconds...Any defenseman is going to look bad when you combine ,terrible board playing forwards .That cant win a puck battle to save thier lives in any of the three zones

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The core requirement for this system is to make fewer mistakes than the opposition.

Some of those mistakes can be mitigated by stellar goaltending which we do not have.
When you have a defenseman like EK ,is this really the system that best suits him??He wants to fly up ice with the puck...Not just give it to a forward and retract into a defensive posture

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Interesting article. If the Flames have outgrown Calgary you have to wonder why Quebec City would be a destination given that they have already lost an NHL team & also seem like too small a city to have an NHL team. In fact, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary & maybe Edmonton are all small markets & the costs associated with owning & going to NHL games is becoming out of reach for most people. It's becoming a rich man's game.

If we look at Ottawa & it's attendance issues, they could be going down the same path. The Phoenix system IMO has hurt attendance but so has the cost to go to games as it becomes more & more expensive every yr while the players make more & more money & play like crap. At some point enough is enough & we begin to agree that the players & management are rich spoiled people who live in a different reality to most of us & their charm is wearing off. I too would not support Ottawa tax payers to help pay for the arena downtown. I don't want a dime going towards that project.

I have lost more interest in the NHL this season than ever before & we are now considering not renewing our packages for next yr. It's just no fun going to games any more to watch a boring system & players who don't look like they care enough to put in a decent effort. While the lead up to the game is fun the actual game has become predictable, boring & depressing. I'm also not sure if just changing the coach will be enough either.

The difference between Calgary and Ottawa, is that the Flames do not have a plan in process, to build a new arena........ while Ottawa does, now that The Senators Owner was the head of group that won the bidding process for the re-development of Lebreton flats, with a bid that includes a brand new NHL revenue generating downtown arena.

Now there has been zero disscussion of any public financing of the winning bid, including the arena.

Will that change? Will an idea of the public private ownership plan, like Lansdowne, be brought up?

kenempa

May 10, 2017
And this year is this year.

This is a pattern with Boucher.

Anyway as painful as it is watching Boucher hockey right now. I think keeping him ensures a successful high pick. Which is the only bright spot left to this season.

Yeah it's unfortunate. I actually like Boucher.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The difference between Calgary and Ottawa, is that the Flames do not have a plan in process, to build a new arena........ while Ottawa does, now that The Senators Owner was the head of group that won the bidding process for the re-development of Lebreton flats, with a bid that includes a brand new NHL revenue generating downtown arena.

Now there has been zero disscussion of any public financing of the winning bid, including the arena.

Will that change? Will an idea of the public private ownership plan, like Lansdowne, be brought up?
Unverified rumour has it that a group with Jeff Hunt leading may have bought the Sens, or in the process to buy them.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sounds like Francis is just being a mouthpiece for the Flames.

In the article the new owner of the Houston Rockets Fertitta stated " he wanted an NHL team to go with it." So there is smoke out there, when you include Quebec City, that there are buyers that are interested in buying and re-locating an existing NHL franchise.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Average goaltending would be a major improvement right now. Condon and Andy have been allowing a bad goal a game; we're spotting the opposition one goal a game almost every game. You aren't going to win many games that way. Don't get me wrong, this isn't all on goaltending, but nothing kills a teams compete level more quickly than terrible goaltending. Look how quickly things turned around when we initially got Anderson;

Pre-Anderson trade: 58 GP 2.26 GF/G 3.28 GA/G 0.892 Sv% 0.078 Sh% 18W 31L 9OL 64pts pace
Post Anderson trade: 24 GP 2.46 GF/G 2.46 GA/G .926 Sv% .83 Sh% 14 W 9L 1OL 99 pts pace

The team was said to have given up under Clouston, but with a new goalie, things turned around.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A goalie stepping up and steeling a game or two would go a long way... Our goal tending has been weak along with many other parts to our game; not the least of which is the dzone coverage that has given up too many good scoring chances.. Still both goalies played much better last year

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Average goaltending would be a major improvement right now. Condon and Andy have been allowing a bad goal a game; we're spotting the opposition one goal a game almost every game. You aren't going to win many games that way. Don't get me wrong, this isn't all on goaltending, but nothing kills a teams compete level more quickly than terrible goaltending. Look how quickly things turned around when we initially got Anderson;

Pre-Anderson trade: 58 GP 2.26 GF/G 3.28 GA/G 0.892 Sv% 0.078 Sh% 18W 31L 9OL 64pts pace
Post Anderson trade: 24 GP 2.46 GF/G 2.46 GA/G .926 Sv% .83 Sh% 14 W 9L 1OL 99 pts pace

The team was said to have given up under Clouston, but with a new goalie, things turned around.
Price + Galchenyuk for Karlsson?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
heh according to that linkedin article allegedly Leeder hasn’t been paid his severance and allegedly Melnyk said “sue me for it.”

I wonder if that’s actually true.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A goalie stepping up and steeling a game or two would go a long way... Our goal tending has been weak along with many other parts to our game; not the least of which is the dzone coverage that has given up too many good scoring chances.. Still both goalies played much better last year

Part of our problem is a weak goal goes in, and then we panic. Condon doesn't let in that weak backhand goal last night, and it's a very different game.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Part of our problem is a weak goal goes in, and then we panic. Condon doesn't let in that weak backhand goal last night, and it's a very different game.
Exactly
Those gifts our goalies are giving left and right are killing our momentum

1st period penalties also I would add

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

What about Hoffman, early in the first period, fanning on a sure goal?

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
Unverified rumour has it that a group with Jeff Hunt leading may have bought the Sens, or in the process to buy them.
I apologize in advance as I don't want to derail the thread with unsubstantiated rumours, but I've also heard that the Sens have been sold. Also, that the group includes Guy Laliberté and Alfredsson.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
But
Exactly
Those gifts our goalies are giving left and right are killing our momentum

1st period penalties also I would add
But gotta to admit on the 2nd Sabres goal Okposo goes between 5 Senators easy and scores while Pageau Ek and Oduya admire the show
Nothing a goalie can do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad