All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If the Senators continue to struggle and if a decision is made to terminate Guy Boucher, who takes over as the head coach?

It looks like the current options are to either promote Marc Crawford or to hire one of the following:

• Dave Tippett
  • Paul MacLean
  • Michel Therrien
  • Darryl Sutter
  • Bob Hartley
  • Dan Bylsma
  • Lindy Ruff
  • Kevin Dineen
  • Dale Hunter

Any other candidates?

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I really don't like the idea of Crawford being the next one. If he was the solution, why isn't he doing something to right the ship right now?

Not that I necessarily am eager to see Crawford take over, but I think the role of the assistant coach is to help implement the head coach's game plan rather than to set the plan himself.

I'm sure Crawford has some input, but I doubt he would directly countermand Boucher's orders or go to Boucher himself and say, "Hey, the players are sick of your system" (if that were the issue, for example).

I expect Crawford just has to execute Boucher's strategy as best as he can. Not a lot of room for creativity in such a tight system.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'd like a coach who's system accentuates all the team speed we have. Someone who coaches similarly to Alain Vigneault.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I really don't like the idea of Crawford being the next one. If he was the solution, why isn't he doing something to right the ship right now?

Chain of command.

I think they would give Crawford a chance on an interim basis unless there's someone available that they really like. Who has become available since Boucher has been hired? Sutter is the main guy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If the Senators continue to struggle and if a decision is made to terminate Guy Boucher, who takes over as the head coach?

It looks like the current options are to either promote Marc Crawford or to hire one of the following:

• Dave Tippett
  • Paul MacLean
  • Michel Therrien
  • Darryl Sutter
  • Bob Hartley
  • Dan Bylsma
  • Lindy Ruff
  • Kevin Dineen
  • Dale Hunter

Any other candidates?
Is Darryl Sutter still interested in coaching? I don't know much about the style he implements but he has had some success, and I like his interviews.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I'd like a coach who's system accentuates all the team speed we have. Someone who coaches similarly to Alain Vigneault.

I'm not entirely sure you know what you're asking for. Yes AV likes a more offensive system but unless you'd like to see Burrows, Thompson, Pyatt, and Dumont get something like 12-14 minutes a game each, (which is madness) an AV style coach is not ideal. He loves giving grinders undeserved minutes. Also I think if you asked Rangers fans what they think of AV they would say he was great to start with but wore out his welcome relatively quickly. They win in spite of him. It was the same situation in Vancouver after the wheels fell off their team.

Anyways the succession system is already in place. Crow will assume control of the team is Boucher doesn't last.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys. Leafs fan here.
Here is the overview of Sheldon Keefe
PS: Im not saying to hire him, but I am just giving info on Keefe if he becomes a potential candidate and I am posting an overview on team boards who want their coach fired, or are close to wanting a replacement
I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. This is shown by his record as well as coaching overall. He has had some good rosters at his disposal, but it seems he knows how to use them properly and effectively. Here are some stats from his time with the Marlies so far.
2015-2016
GFA: 3.87 (1st)
GAA: 2.51 (4th)

PP: 17.4% (10th)
PK: 84.0% (12th)
2016-2017

GFA: 3.22 (8th)
GAA: 2.72 (11th)

PP: 22.3% (4th)
PK: 81.8% (17th)

SFA: 30.72 (9th)
SAA: 28.47 (6th)
2017-2018
GFA: 3.26 (9th)
GAA: 1.91 (1st)

PP: 15.4% (24th)
PK: 89.3% (1st)

SFA: 30.26 (12th)
SAA: 28.91 (10th)
The Marlies play a puck possession style that focuses on discipline in all 3 zones. Discipline as in work ethic, and playing the way we want to play.
Grades on Coaching Aspects
System: 4.5/5
Accountability: 4.5/5
In Game Coaching: 4/5
Game to Game Coaching: 4.5/5
Communication: 4.5/5
Adaptibility: 4.5/5
Strengths
He seems to get a lot out of the players, and seems to handle young players well. He gives youngsters more leeway when they make mistakes, but if the mistakes continue to happen, he isn't afraid to limit their ice time or even bench them.
His teams are for the most part organized on the ice
He is incredibly honest. If he feels the team didn't play well, he will say it and won't sugarcoat the performance.
He will give players more ice time if he feels they are they playing well in a game.
Weaknesses
For the 1st one and a half years, his team was sloppy in the defensive zone. Silly plays and turnovers, which got me annoyed as well. Then on Feb 22nd 2017, associate coach Gord Dineen who handled the defence was let go, and since then they have improved a lot.. At times they are still sloppy, but much less than before
In his 1st season, Keefe had this weird habit of starting TJ. Brennan in the defensive zone. Brennan is one of the top offensive d man in the AHL, but is a disaster defensively, so IDK why Keefe liked to play him there.​

Reactions: Panic at the Back

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is Darryl Sutter still interested in coaching? I don't know much about the style he implements but he has had some success, and I like his interviews.
Sutter might be one of few guys on the planet more defence oriented than Boucher

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sutter, Ruff, Bylsma in that order would be my choices from that list.
and all of those guys were run our of town where they by a fan base that was sick of them and in Sutter's case also by players sick of his defence first system.

not advocating for Boucher. Just pointing out the book on those guys.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If we hire Bylsma we have to pay the rest of his contract right? He was making a lot in Buffalo I believe. 5 million range I think? I honestly don’t think he’s that great anyways. My 0.02

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we hire Bylsma we have to pay the rest of his contract right? He was making a lot in Buffalo I believe. 5 million range I think? I honestly don’t think he’s that great anyways. My 0.02

No, Buffalo is still responsible to pay his contract above and beyond whatever we were to offer him. So if we paid him 1 mil, Buffalo would be off the hook for only that 1 mil, and top him up to 5. At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad