All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I apologize in advance as I don't want to derail the thread with unsubstantiated rumours, but I've also heard that the Sens have been sold. Also, that the group includes Guy Laliberté and Alfredsson.

Geez, it would be smart to rope Alfredsson into a new ownership group.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I apologize in advance as I don't want to derail the thread with unsubstantiated rumours, but I've also heard that the Sens have been sold. Also, that the group includes Guy Laliberté and Alfredsson.
My god ....oh my god if true he is still leading us to a better place

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What about Hoffman, early in the first period, fanning on a sure goal?

Yep, that could have changed the game too, but goalies simply can't get redos. It's the nature of the game. Hoffman fanning on a chance doesn't deflate the entire team, Condon doing his best impression of a colander does. Doesn't help that Phaneuf and Brassard badly misplayed the rush in the first place.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
right now every player and coach on this team lacks confidence in themselves and in their team

-- How do we give them confidence?

Only answer I have is we need a huge game from a goalie that ... stands on his head if he has to to get us a win..
and we need a little puck luck

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
right now every player and coach on this team lacks confidence in themselves and in their team

Only answer I have is we need a huge game from a goalie that ... stands on his head if he has to to get us a win..
That would be one good way. Or they just get together and collectively agree that this is enough of this shit and we are better than this and let's go out and play the way we can as a team. Hoorah
(But I'm getting the impression they want the coach/gm gone so maybe not much can happen till then)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The difference between Calgary and Ottawa, is that the Flames do not have a plan in process, to build a new arena........ while Ottawa does, now that The Senators Owner was the head of group that won the bidding process for the re-development of Lebreton flats, with a bid that includes a brand new NHL revenue generating downtown arena.

Now there has been zero disscussion of any public financing of the winning bid, including the arena.

Will that change? Will an idea of the public private ownership plan, like Lansdowne, be brought up?

I've always been skeptical about a new arena considering there is nothing wrong with the old one except location for some people. The other thing was as you say who is going to finance it when there is no appetite from any level of government to put a dime towards that in this city. Should be interesting to see what happens though.

Unverified rumour has it that a group with Jeff Hunt leading may have bought the Sens, or in the process to buy them.

I just got a call from a buddy telling me this, he thinks it was mentioned on the Team 1200 but I have no way of verifying it either. Did anyone hear that on the radio? I do know that Hunt doesn't have that kind of money but he could have been asked to come on board with the Cirque de Solais group & Demarais as their spoke person as he is for the Redblacks. It would be great to get rid of Melnyk right now though, he is definitely part of the problem.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

As I said in another post, puck luck and a goalie standing on his head will win a game but not turn the season around.

We have to actually be the better team.

When was the last time where this actually happened?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just got a call from a buddy telling me this, he thinks it was mentioned on the Team 1200 but I have no way of verifying it either. Did anyone hear that on the radio? I do know that Hunt doesn't have that kind of money but he could have been asked to come on board with the Cirque de Solais group & Demarais as their spoke person as he is for the Redblacks. It would be great to get rid of Melnyk right now though, he is definitely part of the problem.

The way things are in Ottawa, I'm sure it's the same rumour from the same source just circulating around.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As I said in another post, puck luck and a goalie standing on his head will win a game but not turn the season around.

I think puck luck isn't something we can count on, but we could throw a pot luck and invite all the player's wives for a nice xmas party

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

While I agree with this I'm not sure either of our goalies are up to the challenge especially Anderson this yr. Not sure what is going on with him, as far as I know he isn't injured, things are well at home & he's got an extension. He should be playing well but makes as many dumb mistakes & allows just as many bad goals as any goalie in the league. He is playing more like a backup than a #1 these days & not a very good one.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The way things are in Ottawa, I'm sure it's the same rumour from the same source just circulating around.

TSN1200 bases many of their show topics on tweets they see throughout their show. This isn't something they heard, they just read the exact same tweet that everyone else did.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think so too, the only other potential buyer out there for the Sens that has been made public is that Demarais group although I have no idea if they were or are still interested but there could be other billionaires out there who may want to own an NHL franchise. The concern would be if they buy it to move the team or buy it to keep it here & build the new arena downtown. Too bad Canada doesn't have a number of Hi-Tech billionaires.

I think puck luck isn't something we can count on, but we could throw a pot luck and invite all the player's wives for a nice xmas party
I'll bring the pot. :laugh:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
heh according to that linkedin article allegedly Leeder hasn’t been paid his severance and allegedly Melnyk said “sue me for it.”

I wonder if that’s actually true.

I really hope it's not true, for one thing Leeder was one of the original group that brought the Sens to Ottawa and also because he spearheaded the drive for Melnyks liver transplant.

Menlyk is alive today because of Leeders aggressive push for a donor and the unnamed Sens fan who was the actual liver donor.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

One could argue we were the better team against MTL before they were given a penalty shot that deflated us

Apart from that game its been a long long time

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One could argue we were the better team against MTL before they were given a penalty shot that deflated us

Apart from that game its been a long long time

There have been plenty of times where we were the better team for a period. We absolutely dominated the 1st period against the Pens before rolling over for the rest of the game. That's the start of the losing streak right there.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Further info from Liam in response to a tweet saying another guy heard it was desmarais/laliberte group:

"Maybe they do. First i heard of that. I've received a couple of calls since this was posted. Couple of media guys. Saying the same thing sale seems imminent. But nobody knows for sure at the end of the day."

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
If desmarais/laliberte group buys the team its only to move it to Quebec city (Unverified Rumor)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I've always been skeptical about a new arena considering there is nothing wrong with the old one except location for some people. The other thing was as you say who is going to finance it when there is no appetite from any level of government to put a dime towards that in this city. Should be interesting to see what happens though.

I would suggest, among the number of reasons the demand for tickets is declining, Location, Location, Location is the biggest one.
I rarely consider going to a game, at the last minute (same day) if suggested, mainly because of the location.
I live in South Keys, and the best way for me to attend a game is driving to a Kanata based establishment that runs a shuttle service to and from the CTC.

Otherwise I would have to arrive much earlier than I would like to, in able to get a good parking spot, simply to reduce the time to exit the parking lot after after a game.

Yes first world problem, but enough for me to spend my pre-game money at another establishment other than the CTC, and not pay for parking.

When the arena is located in Lebreton flats, I could easily get there by taking one bus to the O Train, and exit right to west end of the new Arena................ easy peasy, lemon squezzey.

And I would spend all my money at the new arena (pre-game).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would suggest, among the number of reasons the demand for tickets is declining, Location, Location, Location is the biggest one.
I rarely consider going to a game, at the last minute (same day) if suggested, mainly because of the location.
I live in South Keys, and the best way for me to attend a game is driving to a Kanata based establishment that runs a shuttle service to and from the CTC.

Otherwise I would have to arrive much earlier than I would like to, in able to get a good parking spot, simply to reduce the time to exit the parking lot after after a game.

Yes first world problem, but enough for me to spend my pre-game money at another establishment other than the CTC, and not pay for parking.

When the arena is located in Lebreton flats, I could easily get there by taking one bus to the O Train, and exit right to west end of the new Arena................ easy peasy, lemon squezzey.

And I would spend all my money at the new arena (pre-game).

Of course, that would be exactly the same arguments I could make for not wanting to attend games at an arena downtown & prefer to keep it in the west end where I live. And I wouldn't spend another dime on this team if it were to move downtown.

I assume most think that having the arena downtown would draw more people to see games but IMO once the novelty of a new arena wears down & it will, it will come down to the product on the ice & the financial health of the people of this city to support the outrageous costs associated with going to games which just continues to climb. It would be nice though to see an over haul of the Lebreton Flats area & it extending over to Gatineau which has some nice areas downtown too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just a reminder that this is a coaching talk thread, not a rink location talk thread.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If desmarais/laliberte group buys the team its only to move it to Quebec city (Unverified Rumor)
Unlikely ,the NHL wouldnt allow this to happen...Besides everybody knows we have a good market here.We are just fed up with our penny pinching owner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad