All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Saying that there have been 7 coaches in 10 years and pointing fingers at the players doesn't take into considerations that all the players under Paddock and Hartsburg and nearly all under Clouston are not with the team anymore..

After Cloustons stint with the Senators he went back to the juniors coaching the Brandon What Kings when Mark Stone was captain.He was fired before his second year of a 2 year deal :
Luber's Lounge: Clouston Out as Wheat Kings' Head Coach
The hard-driving coaching style employed by Clouston was looked upon with disdain by the players, and his treatment of the players, especially the younger players, became such an issue that sources told me that team captain Mark Stone met with GM Kelly McCrimmon midway through the season to discuss the matter.

He hasn't had a sniff of the NHL since then.

Cameron had been with Melnyk for years and he had wanted him to get the job when it was awarded to Maclean, even though his tenure in Bingo was such as a disaster that the fans had chanted "Fire Cameron" at every game and bought banners to the rink saying the same thing.

A lot of the coaches carousel had a lot to do with the coaches they brought in.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just don't understand the stubbornness displayed by Boucher. Change up the PP, and for sure you have to think that Dorion watching last night would have liked to see Chabot on that 5 on 3. Boucher has an answer for everything except how to win a bleeping hockey game. Hoff misses a wide open net. Condon lets in a horrible goal. It just seems like the team is finding a new scapegoat every game and honestly don't see how they pull out of this .

Oduya still in the lineup may actually get him fired. The changes that are easy to do at this stage are sitting, Oduya, Burrows and waiving Dumont and bringing up youth, or playing youth. He has to do something, for the love of God.

Reactions: NyQuil

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Maybe the coaches we keep hiring just suck and this whole management and ownership is unable to evaluate good coaches.

Our best hope is new ownership that scorches this whole thing to the ground from top to bottom.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I like Boucher. He deserves to last the whole season. If he has one bad year, that's one good year and one bad year, so he deserves the first month at least in the next season.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I just don't understand the stubbornness displayed by Boucher. Change up the PP, and for sure you have to think that Dorion watching last night would have liked to see Chabot on that 5 on 3. Boucher has an answer for everything except how to win a bleeping hockey game. Hoff misses a wide open net. Condon lets in a horrible goal. It just seems like the team is finding a new scapegoat every game and honestly don't see how they pull out of this .

Oduya still in the lineup may actually get him fired. The changes that are easy to do at this stage are sitting, Oduya, Burrows and waiving Dumont and bringing up youth, or playing youth. He has to do something, for the love of God.
The big question now is will/can Boucher change.
When Boucher was let go from his Swiss team their spokesman mentioned how stubborn he was and seemingly closed to change.
But this pattern of one great year and then falling off a cliff has followed him wherever he has gone and has been noted around the league.
If he can institute a changed system it may be the best thing for him and his career as well as for the Sens.
If he cant or wont it doesn't bode well for either.And no one wants to see another dead coach walking.
Pierre McGuire thought that some changes have to come in most aspects of the Sens game. Here is the interview from this morning which was interesting.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/mcguire-sens-are-lost-as-to-how-to-play-right-now-1.94238

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Last year he easily could've at least been nominated for the Jack Adams award

And this year is this year.

This is a pattern with Boucher.

Anyway as painful as it is watching Boucher hockey right now. I think keeping him ensures a successful high pick. Which is the only bright spot left to this season.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Saying that there have been 7 coaches in 10 years and pointing fingers at the players doesn't take into considerations that all the players under Paddock and Hartsburg and nearly all under Clouston are not with the team anymore..

After Cloustons stint with the Senators he went back to the juniors coaching the Brandon What Kings when Mark Stone was captain.He was fired before his second year of a 2 year deal :
Luber's Lounge: Clouston Out as Wheat Kings' Head Coach
The hard-driving coaching style employed by Clouston was looked upon with disdain by the players, and his treatment of the players, especially the younger players, became such an issue that sources told me that team captain Mark Stone met with GM Kelly McCrimmon midway through the season to discuss the matter.

He hasn't had a sniff of the NHL since then.

Cameron had been with Melnyk for years and he had wanted him to get the job when it was awarded to Maclean, even though his tenure in Bingo was such as a disaster that the fans had chanted "Fire Cameron" at every game and bought banners to the rink saying the same thing.

A lot of the coaches carousel had a lot to do with the coaches they brought in.

Sure you can only go back so far and there is roster turnover so doesn't make any sense to connect dots from players past to present, but when I watch the players on the ice and they mess up horribly, why would I blame the coach? Are these guys still in pee-wee?

The defensive coverage on that Sabres second goal was laughably bad, does Boucher need to teach them how to play house league D?

The players aren't mentally ready for each game, and they aren't working hard enough, that's why my eye test is telling me when I watch the games anyway. That Zack Smith penalty last night? WTF was that lazy shit?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like Boucher. He deserves to last the whole season. If he has one bad year, that's one good year and one bad year, so he deserves the first month at least in the next season.

So what do you suggest this team does from here on out? The coach is obviously not putting this team in the best position to succeed and the team doesn't look like they are going to magically start playing well again, so what's next?

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I doubt anything happens till after this weekend, even then I think its best they just ride out the season and look for new coach in the offseason when better options may be available.

Any coaching change now will just bring us out of the top 10 but not in a playoff position.

Reactions: pzeeman

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So what do you suggest this team does from here on out? The coach is obviously not putting this team in the best position to succeed and the team doesn't look like they are going to magically start playing well again, so what's next?

I disagree. I don't see anything he's doing that is not putting the team in the best position to succeed.

What's next is to move some of the players, starting with Mike Hoffman who is not a core player and is extremely overrated by the fanbase.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not being ready to play is on the coach.
Coaches responsibility is to ensure they know what to expect from the opposition, identify tendencies to be exploited, or look out for. I'm not convinced it's all on the coach to ensure the players are sharp to start games. I mean, sure a little, but the vast majority of that responsibility lies on the players themselves imo.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I disagree. I don't see anything he's doing that is not putting the team in the best position to succeed.

What's next is to move some of the players, starting with Mike Hoffman who is not a core player and is extremely overrated by the fanbase.
If the coach puts the team in the best position to succeed and plays Hoffman 18:51 min/game
Why move him?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Personally, I really think Chabot needs to be in the lineup. That imo is a big issue. Aside from that, I find the PP to be a real sticking point. Whatever we're doing, it's not working. Unlike last year, the entry seems ok, but once we're set up, we get very few chances with the goalie moving, or a screen set up. We struggle to get shots past the blocks too. Moving the puck around the exterior of the box is fine if you're moving it quick and get off one-timers, but we don't do that. We give the goalie time to get across and the forwards to get in the shooting lanes.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Our offense is great off the rush....thats it.Winning the puck possession game,involves grinding along the boards to retain or regain possession.And thats what our top 6 cant seem to do ...It has been this way for a few seasons now

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Personally, I really think Chabot needs to be in the lineup. That imo is a big issue. Aside from that, I find the PP to be a real sticking point. Whatever we're doing, it's not working. Unlike last year, the entry seems ok, but once we're set up, we get very few chances with the goalie moving, or a screen set up. We struggle to get shots past the blocks too. Moving the puck around the exterior of the box is fine if you're moving it quick and get off one-timers, but we don't do that. We give the goalie time to get across and the forwards to get in the shooting lanes.

AT this point ,,, I am sure he will be...
He should likely have been in the lineup from the beginning as he was when EK was out and he should have stayed.
I think Colin White should be up too.. He is a cerebral player that goes to the right spot moves the puck to the open man on time, ... little things that would imo could very well be more effective in the NHL where players would read and react more similarly than in the AHL

The whole situation fn sucks right now.. its hard to be up beat about anything

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our offense is great off the rush....thats it.Winning the puck possession game,involves grinding along the boards to retain or regain possession.And thats what our top 6 cant seem to do ...It has been this way for a few seasons now

And I will add, that although Duchene is not a big guy, he has helped in this department

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Watching last night, it confirmed something I noticed at the beginning of the slump.

Does this team ever set up a cycle in 5-on-5? Do they entirely rely on the rush to generate any chance? I always notice the Senators opponents cycling, but I never notice the Senators getting set up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And I will add, that although Duchene is not a big guy, he has helped in this department
Agreed ,my big issue from the coach.Is you already know the limits and strengths of your top 6.Why the hell are you not playing what can help a rush offense??In a great PMD like Chabot..

We have a smallish skilled quick strike offense,that Boucher seems to want play like a heavy grind team.Let the team run and gun a bit get a decent lead ...Then use your decent bottom 6 to shut the door

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed ,my big issue from the coach.Is you already know the limits and strengths of your top 6.Why the hell are you not playing what can help a rush offense??In a great PMD like Chabot..

We have a smallish skilled quick strike offense,that Boucher seems to want play like a heavy grind team.Let the team run and gun a bit get a decent lead ...Then use your decent bottom 6 to shut the door

I do not see a heavy grind game , or a desire to play that way... IMO Boucher wants quickness and he wants less mistakes .

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I do not see a heavy grind game , or a desire to play that way... IMO Boucher wants quickness and he wants less mistakes .
Sit in the neutral zone, spread wide, wait for a mistake and counter attack.

If there is no mistake, clumsily get the puck out, and start all over.

Rinse and repeat.

The best part is the "stop attacking in the 3rd" approach. That's my favorite aspect of the Sens.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bad choice of words..he wants to muck it up in the neutual zone and use that quick strike offense on the counter.Another issue this team has is passing...If you cant win the puck possession game by being good along the boards.You need to figure out another way,one way would be being able to pass the puck at high speed..Would help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad