Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to your posted occupation as an engineer, I am surprised you think this way. I am in the technical field as well, and a senior manager, and evaluating status day-to-day, week-to-week and month-to-month is part of my job. I'm sure you work in a number of projects. Do you evaluate the project when you're done? Probably not, you have to keep a close eye on all moving parts and adjust the course if there are deficiencies or undesirable outcomes.

Now, I am not exactly telling YOU to evaluate Bergevin to this extent, but I expect somebody from the franchise's ownership or board should be. Maybe they are, we don't know, but the mindset everyone should have should be analytical throughout the process and not only at the end when it may be too late.

Also, no need to call him an idiot, think plenty can do that for you, but like any project, you let sore areas fester too long, the eventual outcome will seldom be what you desire. When I break a process down, I look at where did we come from and where are we now. Both directly impact where I want to be.

Are we evaluating projects or people? Major difference between the two. I take offense at you taking a personal attack at what I do for a living and how this translates to my hockey opinions. It's complete BS and you know it!

Yes, I choose to evaluate a GM year to year, not week to week or month to month. I have already said we are on a critical path with Bergevin and I want to see what we do from here till the trade deadline, draft, and off season. Your attempt at comparing this to individual projects in the construction field don't fit IMO. If we want to make that comparison, I choose to look at all the projects the Project Manager has done throughout the year and then evaluate as a whole. This gives you a better and fair sample size. Some projects are bad low estimates and no project manager can manage it to provide a profit ;)

I choose to look at trends instead of knee jerk reactions or flavors of the month. Sorry if you disagree.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure there is... the ego of management says Chuck is a winger. As fans, we must blindly put our faith in their decisions and agree. regardless of the outcome, we can't say anything until the end of the year.
lol

As I said earlier, I don't mind that they want to keep him on the wing. If that's their evaluation, so be it.

But get someone who can do it better.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know he sometimes has trouble with defensive zone coverage, but to me he's at his best when he's going for the puck with speed.
His biggest trouble is when he's standing on the boards waiting for the puck.

I'd give him the challenge of playing as a center. It's not like we're tearing it up and have anything to lose. And give him back Byron on his wing. They played well last year together and were doing so again this year.

Byron Galchenyuk Drouin

and my other lines would be:

Pacioretty Danault Gallagher
Carr Hudon Lehkonen
Scherbak Plekanec Shaw

I think that's what gets to me the most...

Galchenyuk is putrid defensively on the wing, he can't get the puck out whenever it's rimmed around to his side. He was never as bad defensively, as a center, as he is as a winger.

I'd bring back a line that had a lot of success at one point.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

I'd keep the Drouin at center experience going because well..."in for a penny, in for a pound"

Hudon-Drouin-Lehkonen

I'd use Danault as my 3rd line center because that role is ideal for him

Byron-Danault-Shaw

The rest can sort itself as out as it may....

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It's funny that the management is convinced that Galchenyuk is not a center, despite producing more as C and the team itself is more succesful with him as a C than a winger... but they were convinced that Drouin, even before playing a single game for the Habs, was a(1st) Center when the rest of the world said that he's not a center.

Maybe Galchenyuk is not the ideal C but Drouin hasn't shown that he's superior to Galchenyuk as a center.

Drouin went from 1st C... to 3rd C minutes. It proves that the coach doesn't even trust him as a C.. but yeah let's forced him to play C and be less effective because the GM failed in his job to bring top 6 center in the off-summer.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think that's what gets to me the most...

Galchenyuk is putrid defensively on the wing, he can't get the puck out whenever it's rimmed around to his side. He was never as bad defensively, as a center, as he is as a winger.

I'd bring back a line that had a lot of success at one point.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

I'd keep the Drouin at center experience going because well..."in for a penny, in for a pound"

Hudon-Drouin-Lehkonen

I'd use Danault as my 3rd line center because that role is ideal for him

Byron-Danault-Shaw

The rest can sort itself as out as it may....

I agree with everything you say here.

I do, though, think Danault can give quality minutes as a top six center, if Drouin ends up being better on the wing. As a good a duo as Pacioretty and Radulov were last year (Pacioretty the shooter, Radu the playmaker) they didn't do as well with Plekanec. Danault has game and he plays well with Pacioretty. They just need to find a better complimentary piece. It's not Shaw, and I don't think it's Byron. It may be Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Carr, or even Drouin if Chucky's going to play center. But I think it should be someone offensive.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's never playing center because he sucks.

109 games at C for Chucky between 2015 and 2016 where he had most points amongst all Habs (#39 in NHL), while also having more goals than Pacioretty in that span...Yeah he sucks, it's not like he is going to get better by actually playing at the position. Nahh, first you have to demonstrate that you can clean the hospital before you can practice plastic surgery. In that Chucky has to prove he can play like an offensive center by playing wing on the bottom lines...I couldn't makeup such a genius logic if I tried.

We've yet to see the real Galchenyuk, part of it falls on him for not having the personality to necessarily thrive when faced with negative reinforcement (which is all the old school Habs brass knows).
He would do wonders in a creative environment that tolerated his mistakes. He has demonstrated that he can shoot, dangle and pass but his consistency goes hand in hand with his confidence. He wouldn't do well with Babcock either as these types emphasise playing in a certain (some would call it safer) way.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
109 games at C for Chucky between 2015 and 2016 where he had most points amongst all Habs (#39 in NHL), while also having more goals than Pacioretty in that span...Yeah he sucks, it's not like he is going to get better by actually playing at the position. Nahh, first you have to demonstrate that you can clean the hospital before you can practice plastic surgery. In that Chucky must determine he can play like an offensive center by playing wing on the bottom lines... Genius.

I never liked him at wing, even way back when he was playing with Plekanec and Gallagher. It always seemed putting him at center and letting him lead his own line would truly unleash his potential and skill set. Even now as a winger, he circles back to get the puck and carry it up ice like a center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
109 games at C for Chucky between 2015 and 2016 where he had most points amongst all Habs (#39 in NHL), while also having more goals than Pacioretty in that span...Yeah he sucks, it's not like he is going to get better by actually playing at the position. Nahh, first you have to demonstrate that you can clean the hospital before you can practice plastic surgery. In that Chucky must determine he can play like an offensive center by playing wing on the bottom lines... Genius logic.

We've yet to see the real Galchenyuk, part of it falls on him for not having the personality to necessarily thrive when faced with negative reinforcement (which is all the old school Habs brass knows).
He would do wonders in a creative environment that tolerated his mistakes. He has demonstrated that he can shoot, dangle and pass but his consistency goes hand in hand with his confidence. He wouldn't do well with Babcock either as these types emphasise playing in a certain (some would call it safer) way.

I'd be curious to see what he could do for the HABS...with a coach who doesn't value using a player who makes less defensive mistakes, but creates next to nothing offensively (Plekanec).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe the problem is with the boss of the Habs (President)? Maybe not? I never said Bergevin was a brilliant GM. I said he has done a good job but not a great job and his job is not done yet. Recently, I have revised this to it being a critical path and I am interested to see what we do this season after the bad start and how he adjusts.

Everybody makes mistakes. The key is to learning from them. Is Bergevin able to adjust, learn and revise his plan? However, for some people, there is nothing he can do to make them happy at this stage and I understand this. It's just not the way I evaluate personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Maybe the problem is with the boss of the Habs (President)? Maybe not? I never said Bergevin was a brilliant GM. I said he has done a good job but not a great job and his job is not done yet. Recently, I have revised this to it being a critical path and I am interested to see what we do this season after the bad start and how he adjusts.

Everybody makes mistakes. The key is to learning from them. Is Bergevin able to adjust, learn and revise his plan? However, for some people, there is nothing he can do to make them happy at this stage and I understand this. It's just not the way I evaluate personally.

Fair enough. I didn't agree with getting a mark on my work record for somebody else not doing their job but that is the world i live in. I know why I got written up and understood it but didn't like it.

I get team sports work a little differently as I've played minor hockey and coach my son in bantam. In pro sports though, perhaps Molson, Bergevin and his staff need to detach themselves emotionally and do what is best for the team.

Oh, and as for Chuck, the way I see it, he's still playing meh as a winger. Whether it's him mentally or physically, or his line mates or coaching advice, at this point, I'd just put him back at center. Won't make him any less lazy I suppose but it's hard to argue his past couple seasons (pre-injury) success. Worst case, he craps the bed. His value is at an all-time low as it is now, so I can't imagine it getting worst.

Best case scenario? He thrives being back at center. Who knows, maybe we'll win more games because we aren't really doing that now. While I would like to see him at C and Drouin at wing, I'd be fine like what 417 says and play both at center.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough. I didn't agree with getting a mark on my work record for somebody else not doing their job but that is the world i live in. I know why I got written up and understood it but didn't like it.

I get team sports work a little differently as I've played minor hockey and coach my son in bantam. In pro sports though, perhaps Molson, Bergevin and his staff need to detach themselves emotionally and do what is best for the team.

Oh, and as for Chuck, the way I see it, he's still playing meh as a winger. Whether it's him mentally or physically, or his line mates or coaching advice, at this point, I'd just put him back at center. Won't make him any less lazy I suppose but it's hard to argue his past couple seasons (pre-injury) success. Worst case, he craps the bed. His value is at an all-time low as it is now, so I can't imagine it getting worst.

Best case scenario? He thrives being back at center. Who knows, maybe we'll win more games because we aren't really doing that now. While I would like to see him at C and Drouin at wing, I'd be fine like what 417 says and play both at center.

Loved your exposé re your own management experience, thanks for sharing.

The way I see it, they have everything to gain by letting Galchenyuk play centre, so as to set up a trade. Some other team may value him as a C and may pay what he's worth -- they don't need to have him play C over the length of his contract, the idea is to put themselves in a position to move the contract. I, like many others, hold no hope whatsover that this player will still be a Hab by the time the current deal is up.

Reactions: sandviper

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
A lot of fans have the same complaints about coaches that we do, coach favourites, top 6 guys on the bottom 6 and vice versa, or " wrong lines " etc.

As a Habs fan perhaps the biggest fundamental issue with me is this culture of D.

Now I get we haven't had star pivots or teaming with high skill. But we have had high skill guys.

To me, Jacques Demers was our last coach who actually trusted his players out there do use their skill and do their thing. Including young guys. He got out of their way.

Of course you need a system, but our string of coaches coach a strategy of trying not to lose. DON'T make a mistake that costs a goal. DON'T try to make a play to score, let the other team make a mistake and then take advantage of it.

Our systems basically have all players playing the same game regardless of skill.

Chucky has defensive weaknesses, but he can produce offense at centre. Not a centre. DLR is ok defensively and has 0 offense. He is a centre.

Thing is, you can argue all you want, but this coaching style has not resulted into much these past 25 years. Plus, it's boring as hell to watch and the Habs need to learn they are in the entertainment business.

Time for a change? I think so. What do we have to lose, we lose anyway.

Reactions: optimus2861

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I actually voted to trade him.

I still think he is going to turn it around and be a good 25 goal / 50 point forward before all is said and done but he needs a fresh start.

He's the right player...but....plays for the wrong coach & the wrong GM to be sucsessful.

Interesting to see what we get back. Id be happy with draft picks and Carr taking his spot with Drouin.

Id love to know what the development plan was for him, because I dont think they had one.

Reactions: groovejuice

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
There is absolutely no doubt as to what to do with Galchenyuk, if you’re smart and have watched him for the past few season.

You f***ing play him at center and let him do his thing. It’s not even a risk at this point. It couldn’t have been more obvious, but we have a dumbass for a GM who cares more about his words than what the logical thing would be. Why even sign him over the summer, if you hate him this much, don’t sign him. Otherwise use him the way he should be used. Pathetic.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
At one time I thought that the handling of Andrew Castles development was the crown jewel in the debacle known as our development program. Unfortunately, the handling of Galchenyuk's development has replaced this. It is not even close.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I actually voted to trade him.

I still think he is going to turn it around and be a good 25 goal / 50 point forward before all is said and done but he needs a fresh start.

He's the right player...but....plays for the wrong coach & the wrong GM to be sucsessful.

Interesting to see what we get back. Id be happy with draft picks and Carr taking his spot with Drouin.

Id love to know what the development plan was for him, because I dont think they had one.

If they had sent Chucky back to my junior to work on his D, that would have been a development plan. They did not do that.

If they had a coach who was good with working with young players and they kept him up.to do that, that is a development plan. MT as we know , professes to not develop players, not his job.

What the Habs did was throw Chucky on the wing and hoped he would figure it out. Figuring it out , this is not a development plan.

There was no development plan for the third overall pick and our future no.1 centre.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Galchenyuk is never playing C in Montreal again. Our great and powerful leader Kim Jong Bergevin has commanded it.

“Bergevin commanded it”, Makes me think of that movie Kingdom of Heaven. Remember that scene with the brain dead templars raving that “God wills it” when it comes to war? “We must play Galchenyuk at wing, Bergevin Wills It”

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure... You sure gave us some pretty good analogy? We needed offense and Drouin brought this for us. He has ability to play center but he is only 22. I see what we did and I agree with it. Trading Sergachev was a big loss but we got Drouin and he will be a very good young player for us moving forward.... at center or at wing. Right now he's a center because we need him to be. Mabye next year he is not... so what is your point? We could of traded Sergachev for a proven top 2 center under team control for several years? BS!
He has the ability to play center? You mean, in a way that he can skate? As long as you can hold a stick and skate, anyone has the ''ability'' to play center. How actually good is he at the position is what matters, hence my analogy. Seems like the point zoomed right by you.
Drouin is not a center. No matter what spin you want to put on this, he's not. He is put in that position out of pure desperation.
Could we have traded for a young center instead? No clue. But you have no problem saying that you want to wait and see. Always willing to wait. Well, we needed a center, not a winger. We could have re-signed Radulov earlier, and kept Sergachev. Especially if our plan for the left side of the defense was let it all go, then keeping Serg was a must.
Once the Drouin trade happened, that swap looked good. Mostly because very few realized how good and ready Serg already was, and also because we expected other moves to happen. Expecting the right thing to be done by Bergevin, I really do not know what I was thinking.

The really funny part in all this is how Montreal uses a center on the wing and a winger at center. Then people wonder why the f*** this team is so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bryan1966 and Edgy

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think Bergevin is going to trade Chucky to Buffalo for Evander. (K5)

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
He should play 20+ minutes every game from now till game 82. Let him learn and boost his trade value.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The damage has been done already... he could've been a much better player than he is. It's a freaking shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad