Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It was a storm cloud at the beginning of the season that nobody predicted to be as bad as it was.)
A lot of people predicted it would be bad. So you are 100% wrong.

As for the D, we actually had an argument this summer when I told you the current D wasn't as good as the previous D and you blindly refused to acknowledge it. So, you were wrong there, and yes, it was predictable.

Subban, Markov, Sergachev, Emelin, Beaulieu all gone in a calendar year. That's not hockey gods, that's bad management.

It has nothing to with any supernatural force, the current state of the team is the result of all MB's decisions. He moved all those D men, he let Radulov go, he supported a coach who forced a drafted centre to develop as a winger, he traded for a winger to put him at centre. He gave Plekanec that contract. It's all him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A lot of people predicted it would be bad. So you are 100% wrong.

As for the D, we actually had an argument this summer when I told you the current D wasn't as good as the previous D and you blindly refused to acknowledge it. So, you were wrong there, and yes, it was predictable.

Subban, Markov, Sergachev, Emelin, Beaulieu all gone in a calendar year. That's not hockey gods, that's bad management.

It has nothing to with any supernatural force, the current state of the team is the result of all MB's decisions. He moved all those D men, he let Radulov go, he supported a coach who forced a drafted centre to develop as a winger, he traded for a winger to put him at centre. He gave Plekanec that contract. It's all him.

If you are interested in a genuine discussion, I'm all ears. If you want to continue with this pissing contest telling me where you were right and I was wrong and you were never wrong at anything, I am not interested. Go be cranky and take your grudge match with someone else please.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's bring in a goalie and use him on defense, so we have more options on defense.

Sure... You sure gave us some pretty good analogy? We needed offense and Drouin brought this for us. He has ability to play center but he is only 22. I see what we did and I agree with it. Trading Sergachev was a big loss but we got Drouin and he will be a very good young player for us moving forward.... at center or at wing. Right now he's a center because we need him to be. Mabye next year he is not... so what is your point? We could of traded Sergachev for a proven top 2 center under team control for several years? BS!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's just a sad state of affairs IMO...and it's not even his fault.

Poor guy is finished but the coach uses him like he's 28yrs old.

I know... he was a very loyal Habs fan and he would be a decent #3C in the last year of his contract if we had more proven center depth. Tough decisions need to be made and Pleky and Patch need to go.... It's best for them and the Habs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If you are interested in a genuine discussion, I'm all ears. If you want to continue with this pissing contest telling me where you were right and I was wrong and you were never wrong at anything, I am not interested. Go be cranky and take your grudge match with someone else please.
Well, you were wrong and you tried to blame the surprise on Gods when it fact, it was entirely foreseeable, and like you always do with criticism, you put your fingers in your years.

There is no discussion to be had. The D was said to be bad in the summer. You argued otherwise, and you were proven wrong. The only people not surprised were the one's actually assessing the situation critically.

Again, it had nothing to do with Gods, and it was entirely predictable despite your belief otherwise considering many people actually did predict what happened.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, you were wrong and you tried to blame the surprise on Gods when it fact, it was entirely foreseeable, and like you always do with criticism, you put your fingers in your years.

There is no discussion to be had. The D was said to be bad in the summer. You argued otherwise, and you were proven wrong. The only people not surprised were the one's actually assessing the situation critically.

Again, it had nothing to do with Gods, and it was entirely predictable despite your belief otherwise considering many people actually did predict what happened.

You are too controversial for my liking. I tend to get trapped into this and the main point gets twisted into a side post and it becomes a war about something stupid. My apologies but I am not interested in a pissing contest. I can show you many things you were wrong about too but that is a game for losers IMO. I am more interested in a genuine conversation.

We already had the defense conversation several times and I already admitted that I overlooked our D several times. What is this... the 6 time or more you brought this up? Congratulations... you get the award for remembering things you were right about and forgetting the things you were wrong about. From this point forward, you are right about everything according to these standards. ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I conveniently bolded the part that you left out in my previous post.

When I delete a part of someone's post and keep another part, I am trying to reply to the part I keep? Sometimes several points are made and I only want to reply to one of them? I assure you I did not delete a part of your post to hide something. That is not my style and it was not done intentionally if you think it was.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You're talking about 3-4yrs in the future...how do you know we won't have an elite 1D prospect filling that hole?

How do you know we will not have traded for one? Signed one as a free agent?

I just don't see why everything has to be tied in exclusively to Shea Weber.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything...just questioning the logic behind your train of thought.

3 or 4 yrs ago, I would of never imagined PK Subban wouldn't be a part of this organization...

Things change quickly. Expecting everything to remain static seems like a weak position to have.

Well...yeah.

So essentially there is no point of judging on the actual results (which have a predictable pattern) vs you saying that "anything can happen".
What's the point of even having a GM or a hockey president if anything can happen. Essentially what you are arguing is that taking calculating risks doesn't exist since the calculations are meaningless since once again...Anything can happen. I'm sorry I see zero logic in your reasoning , Stanley Cup contenders don't get built on random luck alone.

The proof is in the pudding , Toronto had to revamp their management , they made multiple calculated decisions and only now are heading in the right direction. Do you not see how ridiculous it is to state that anything can happen when discussing the feasibility of acquiring a 30+ year old defender when the team has demonstrated they are no where close to being contenders. In professional sports more than anywhere else age matters.

Reactions: optimus2861

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What about Galchenyuk for Brassard or Ryan? Isn't Cody Ceci interesting asset?
Yuck

Bobby Ryan is awful, Brassard is OK but only a marginal upgrade on anything we have at center.

Ceci is really struggling this year, but he's a decent player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So essentially there is no point of judging on the actual results (which have a predictable pattern) vs you saying that "anything can happen".

No - that's not what I'm saying. Stop extrapolating.

What I objected to, was your post asking "how will we compete with a 35-38yr old Weber".

What's the point of even having a GM or a hockey president if anything can happen. Essentially what you are arguing is that taking calculating risks doesn't exist since the calculations are meaningless since once again...Anything can happen. I'm sorry I see zero logic in your reasoning , Stanley Cup contenders don't get built on random luck alone.

None of what you just wrote above has anything to do with what I objected to in your post.

I'll post again what you wrote

"How do you plan on competing with Weber at age 35-38?"

I didn't say anything about a GM or President, I didn't "essentially argue that taking calculated risks are pointless".

These are arguments you've made up yourself and passed off as my own.

I followed up that post by saying we don't even know if Shea Weber will still be on this roster at agae 35-38...why continue to tie in this teams ability to compete, with Shea Weber exclusively. You have absolutely no idea how the team is going to look 3-6yrs from now.

I'd be more than willing to continue discussing what YOU wrote, but let's avoid these made up arguments that will lead us nowhere.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
No - that's not what I'm saying. Stop extrapolating.

What I objected to, was your post asking "how will we compete with a 35-38yr old Weber".

None of what you just wrote above has anything to do with what I objected to in your post.

I'll post again what you wrote

"How do you plan on competing with Weber at age 35-38?"

I didn't say anything about a GM or President, I didn't "essentially argue that taking calculated risks are pointless".

These are arguments you've made up yourself and passed off as my own.

I'd be more than willing to continue discussing what YOU wrote, but let's avoid these made up arguments that will lead us nowhere.

Well you are in fact saying those things , since we've only had about 3 homegrown elite Ds over the last 2 decades , how is it meaningful to hope on that scenario happening again?

Essentially I'm arguing the vision is poor since our team wasn't ready to contend and Bergevin made a trade that brought in "his type of player" but one that was 4 years old than our existing Norris winning D. I bring up the age since the original poster I quoted , said we had a 4-6 year window to compete , which is garbage. We have a young team in terms of forwards but we not only lack an elite C but also an elite D once Weber ages himself out of that category. In the nearly 6 years since Bergevin tookover the Canadiens , the team hasn't made progress to the point of adding such pieces , why would he get the benefit of the doubt for the next few years?

I don't think even the best GM could salvage this team. Our prospect pool is thin , our picks aren't worth much because we often manage to stay outside the top 10 and our most valuable pieces are all signed way above market value...Good luck Mr. Next GM.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would make sense if Galchenyuk was even an option at center at this point. The team has made it very clear he's not. And frankly, if I were Galchenyuk, I probably wouldn't hesitate ask for a trade.

I don't care what people think what the Management thinks. I like having more options at center and Drouin does that for us (proven center or not). The main reason why I like us acquiring Drouin is added offense and a young player under team control on a long term contract. The fact that he can potentially play center is a added bonus IMO. That's why we made that deal

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What about Galchenyuk for Brassard or Ryan? Isn't Cody Ceci interesting asset?

I mean, Ottawa fans would flip the f*** out at the suggestion of a Galchenyuk for Karlsson trade (as well they should).

I'm not interested in any of those deals. If we're moving him it's for a pick and a young center/defenceman combination. Although I'd just keep him honestly.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't care what people think what the Management thinks. I like having more options at center and Drouin does that for us (proven center or not). The main reason why I like us acquiring Drouin is added offense and a young player under team control on a long term contract. The fact that he can potentially play center is a added bonus IMO. That's why we made that deal

We did not add offense. Drouin is replacing Radulov. It's a wash at best for the next 2-3 years. Then Weber will be mid 3oies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I overvalued our D and I want to take what the hockey gods has given us... an off year. No sense at trying to be a middle of the pack team. The key to me is Price (age 30) and Weber (age 32). Our only chance is to improve our age 25 and under core (including prospects) and allow them to grow in the next few years. The key is having a good young team that improves year to year while Price and Weber reach their mid 30's. That's 4-6 year range.

Time to take a step or two backwards.

And our GM. You should throw this part in there, come now your'e doing good here.:naughty:

Reactions: Peanut

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
That would make sense if Galchenyuk was even an option at center at this point. The team has made it very clear he's not. And frankly, if I were Galchenyuk, I probably wouldn't hesitate ask for a trade.

He doesn't ask for a trade as he is not the type, he works hard on/off the ice and always says the rights things during the interviews. Then he gets hit by his girlfriend one day and all of a sudden he is a lazy , no heart , Russian with a drug problem. Perputuated by the xenophobes that always have the same comments regardless of the very different players of Russian decent.

The only problem with Galchenyuk is that he doesn't have a North American name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad