Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk: Time to loosen the restraints?

What should be done with Alex?

• Play him at Centre, let him do his thing

Votes: 121 73.8%
  • Trade him now for whatever

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Stay the course

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Who cares? He's a bust

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Play him at center after we trade Patch, Pleky, Benn. Run with youth and take some losses by resting Price and Weber as much as possible. Lets give ourselves time to evaluate how good these kids are while we give ourselves a better shot at a lottery pick

Hudon / Drouin / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Galchenyuk / Scherbak
Byron / Danault / Shaw
Carr / DLR / McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Jerabek / Schlemko
Morrow

Price
Lindgren

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Play him at center after we trade Patch, Pleky, Benn. Run with youth and take some losses by resting Price and Weber as much as possible. Lets give ourselves time to evaluate how good these kids are while we give ourselves a better shot at a lottery pick

Byron / Danault / Shaw
Carr / DLR / McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Jerabek / Schlemko
Morrow

Price
Lindgren

But who is going to shut down entire teams on their own after we trade Plekanec?

Its going to be real difficult to replace those 18 mins a game. No one else in the NHL can do the job he does.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Byron / Danault / Shaw
Carr / DLR / McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Jerabek / Schlemko
Morrow

Price
Lindgren

Looks like you've resigned yourself to the inevitability of missing the playoffs. Must say, I'm a bit surprised.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But who is going to shut down entire teams on their own after we trade Plekanec?

Its going to be real difficult to replace those 18 mins a game. No one else in the NHL can do the job he does.

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like you've resigned yourself to the inevitability of missing the playoffs. Must say, I'm a bit surprised.

I overvalued our D and I want to take what the hockey gods has given us... an off year. No sense at trying to be a middle of the pack team. The key to me is Price (age 30) and Weber (age 32). Our only chance is to improve our age 25 and under core (including prospects) and allow them to grow in the next few years. The key is having a good young team that improves year to year while Price and Weber reach their mid 30's. That's 4-6 year range.

Time to take a step or two backwards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Its funny with Pleky. He is considered to be a smart center but he has to be that way or he is no longer a NHL player. With the lack of offense he provides these days, he is only doing what he has to do to survive. The faster the Habs move on from him the better IMO.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I overvalued our D and I want to take what the hockey gods has given us... an off year. No sense at trying to be a middle of the pack team. The key to me is Price (age 30) and Weber (age 31). Our only chance is to improve our age 25 and under core (including prospects) and allow them to grow in the next few years. The key is having a good young team that improves year to year while Price and Weber reach their mid 30's. That's 4-6 year range.

Time to take a step or two backwards.

We have a 4-6 year range for what? How do you plan on competing with Weber at age 35-38?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Its funny with Pleky. He is considered to be a smart center but he has to be that way or he is no longer a NHL player. With the lack of offense he provides these days, he is only doing what he has to do to survive. The faster the Habs move on from him the better IMO.
It's just a sad state of affairs IMO...and it's not even his fault.

Poor guy is finished but the coach uses him like he's 28yrs old.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have a 4-6 year range for what? How do you plan on competing with Weber at age 35-38?

It went over your head (again). Why? Because you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I have no problem with taking a few steps back today and then resurfacing with a strong young core and Price/Weber leading us. If it takes 3, 4, 5, 6, years. So be it. I don't support moves to keep us in the middle of the pack at this stage.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Weber and Price are no longer ''key'' for us. Price is a top 10 or so goalie from here on out. Weber is a top 30 defenceman. Nobody should care about this.

ToLegitToQuit is otherwise correct. Time to focus on the next wave. The sooner we do this, the better. The next 3 years at least have the chance at big payoffs for tanking.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Why is competing exclusively tied into Weber?

Maybe Weber won't even be with the team when he's 35yrs old.

Which one of our current prospects will fill the elite 1D hole?
A strategy that ends with "you don't know the future and anything can happen" won't convince anyone but someone who is already convinced.

Maybe Bergevin will trade Chucky for a veteran 3rd line C. Maybe we will get a lottery pick and draft a bust. Maybe Price will get injured and won't even be able to put up starting goalie numbers....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Which one of our current prospects will fill the elite 1D hole?

You're talking about 3-4yrs in the future...how do you know we won't have an elite 1D prospect filling that hole?

How do you know we will not have traded for one? Signed one as a free agent?

I just don't see why everything has to be tied in exclusively to Shea Weber.

A strategy that ends with "you don't know the future and anything can happen" won't convince anyone but someone who is already convinced.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything...just questioning the logic behind your train of thought.

3 or 4 yrs ago, I would of never imagined PK Subban wouldn't be a part of this organization...

Things change quickly. Expecting everything to remain static seems like a weak position to have.

Maybe Bergevin will trade Chucky for a veteran 3rd line C. Maybe we will get a lottery pick and draft a bust. Maybe Price will get injured and won't even be able to put up starting goalie numbers....

Well...yeah.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I overvalued our D and I want to take what the hockey gods has given us... an off year.
The hockey Gods have nothing to do with the Habs current position. The bad D was assembled by MB in its entirety. Blame him, he moved Subban, Sergachev, Beaulieu, let go of Emelin and Markov all in a calendar year, not Gods.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The hockey Gods have nothing to do with it. The bad D was assembled by MB in its entirety. Blame him, not Gods.

It was a storm cloud at the beginning of the season that nobody predicted to be as bad as it was. It has stabilized with some winning and losing streaks with the Habs now being in the second 3rd in NHL standings. Most realistic people think we are a middle of the pack team and better than the start we had. So yeah, I say the hockey gods did us a favor to help us realize we need to take a few steps back... we should take the off season and run with it.

(BTW... it's just an expression)

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
The hockey Gods have nothing to do with the Habs current position. The bad D was assembled by MB in its entirety. Blame him, he moved Subban, Sergachev, Beaulieu, let go of Emelin and Markov all in a calendar year, not Gods.

It was a storm cloud at the beginning of the season that nobody predicted to be as bad as it was. It has stabilized with some winning and losing streaks with the Habs now being in the second 3rd in NHL standings. Most realistic people think we are a middle of the pack team and better than the start we had. So yeah, I say the hockey gods did us a favor to help us realize we need to take a few steps back... we should take the off season and run with it.

(BTW... it's just an expression)

Honest question here: why did you leave a part out of an already short quote?

Reactions: Tighthead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad