Confirmed with Link: Alex Chiasson traded for Patrick Sieloff

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why the heck couldn't we have gotten a 5th rounder so we could have picked our own player? *crosses arms*

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So, I haven't gone through this entire thread yet, but has it devolved into a "WE TRADED SPEZZA AND LOOK WHAT IT GOT US" whine-fest yet?

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Little shocking its so low. but not too much. needs a big year to show he is a very solid NHLer

Not "shocking" to me. He was a 4th liner on a non-playoff team, which means he is easily replaceable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Neil was way better than Chia last year

I don't think so. Neil's better days were better than Chiasson's, but those days have passed. Neil is on the team to get to the 1,000 games milestone which is a PR thing. Neil will not be on the team after this coming season.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It still bugs me that after being burned on a small sample size player in Cory Conacher that Murray would turn around and make the same mistake with Chiasson.

Murray has made many mistakes including coaches!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But if he waited and became a UFA someone would've offered him a bit more?

His agent actually did a great job here. He'll be playing for the coach which he broke into the NHL under and had success. They found him an opportunity by sacrificing a couple hundred grand. This is a good move for Chiasson in the long term.

I'm really pleased as an Ottawa fan. I didn't expect to get anything for him and we managed to get a decent depth player to help our farm team at their weakest position. Not a sexy move by any means but one that makes a lot of sense. We might even see this guy get a game or two this year.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
His agent actually did a great job here. He'll be playing for the coach which he broke into the NHL under and had success. They found him an opportunity by sacrificing a couple hundred grand. This is a good move for Chiasson in the long term.

I'm really pleased as an Ottawa fan. I didn't expect to get anything for him and we managed to get a decent depth player to help our farm team at their weakest position. Not a sexy move by any means but one that makes a lot of sense. We might even see this guy get a game or two this year.

When you look at the guys who went unqualified, the fact that we got a legitimate pro level player for Chiasson is awesome. Especially one who has some NHL upside.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Like what Ottawa got for Chara.

Ottawa's had worse trades. Havlat? Paul could make the trade worth it, excited to see him continue to develop

Lets not forget Gagne was also a descendant of the Spezza trade.
Right now the spezza trade looks like:
Spezza
Ludvig Karlsson
Brandon Gignac
For
Pat Sieloff
Nick Paul
Guptill
Gabriel Gagne

2 very solid prospects there. But you never win a trade when you deal a guy like that. We did okay in the deal

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Obvioulsy no one is happy about the return for Spezza, but it happens quite often.

We can cry about Murray making that trade all day, but the reality is you can't force a team to trade with you and he could have just kept Spezza and lost him for nothing. As a fan base (in terms of how we'd react) we were ****ed either way.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Obvioulsy no one is happy about the return for Spezza, but it happens quite often.

We can cry about Murray making that trade all day, but the reality is you can't force a team to trade with you and he could have just kept Spezza and lost him for nothing. As a fan base (in terms of how we'd react) we were ****ed either way.

Yep.

Tampa might lose Stamkos for literally nothing. I very much dislike the return on the Spezza trade, but I'm not angry about it. These things happen.
Nick Paul > Literally Nothing.

Do I wish it had gone down differently? Obviously, yes. Would I have liked a better return? Obviously, yes. Do I hold a grudge over it? No. It's the way the league works sometimes. Sucks, but it's not like we could force Dallas to give us a 1st rounder and Jamie Benn in return or anything.

We could have kept him, but there's no way of knowing whether that would have turned out any better. Maybe Spezza half-arses it all year because he's upset that Murray didn't acquiese to Spezza's trade request, and his value is even lower. Maybe he gets injured, we were all worried that his back might flare up again.

The cosmic cards didn't fall where we wanted them to with regards to Jason Spezza. I'm over it. These things happen.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Was fine with keeping Chiasson (I don't think he was as useless as many around here believed), but I am alright with the deal too.

Sieloff is about the type of return I expected (former 2nd round pick, struggling a bit).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray has made many mistakes including coaches!

Murray didn't make this trade Dorion did & every GM makes mistakes, nobody is perfect & gets exactly what the fans want, that rarely ever happens.

Was fine with keeping Chiasson (I don't think he was as useless as many around here believed), but I am alright with the deal too.

Sieloff is about the type of return I expected (former 2nd round pick, struggling a bit).

Me too. Is Dorion no longer looking for a defenceman now?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Lets not forget Gagne was also a descendant of the Spezza trade.
Right now the spezza trade looks like:
Spezza
Ludvig Karlsson
Brandon Gignac
For
Pat Sieloff
Nick Paul
Guptill
Gabriel Gagne

2 very solid prospects there. But you never win a trade when you deal a guy like that. We did okay in the deal

if you are including Guptill in your count it gets more complicated after the big AHL swap with Buffalo

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There was another option - keep Spezza until the trade deadline, and move him then. Yes, you would have had to put up with 3/4 of a season of an unhappy player but he would have been a MOTIVATED unhappy player, looking to show well for a new team and contract. Teams overpay at the deadline - heck, look at what the Jets got for Ladd, who is two notches below Spezza as a player. We would have received better offers for Spezza at the deadline than we did in July. It's over now, but the handling and trading of Spezza was one of Bryan Murray's worst moves as our GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad