Confirmed with Link: Alex Chiasson traded for Patrick Sieloff

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I'll be fairly disappointed if Dorion believes Sieloff is the number 5-6 D-man that we've been looking for. Better options via free agency for that position.

Should help Bingo initially, and provide adequate depth in case of injuries though.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It's sad because Chiasson does have some tools to be a decent hockey player...he would just never develop his game here for whatever reason...I wouldn't be surprised if next year is his last NHL contract, harsh league. I won't miss anything about the guy though, his game is very forgettable, with the exceptions of the dumb penalties .

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I, for one, will not miss his unnecessary stupid penalties or his turnovers.

There are worse NHL players making more money though.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Patrick Sieloff had a decent junior career. i haven't followed him past the draft but i saw a number of sleeper picks calling Sieloff. His partner in ushl was Jacob Trouba.

Seiloff had potential 4 years ago but unsure at all about him now.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Flames fan here:

With Sieloff, you get a prospect that is a bit behind due to his injuries (he could have died at one point, IIRC, from a staph infection).

At any rate, he has had a couple cups of coffee at the NHL level, and looked better than I thought he would. I thought he actually looked better in the NHL than he normally does at the AHL level. There is some NHL-potential there.

He skates well, he will fight, but he isn't the biggest body. Defensively responsible, hard and accurate shot, but doesn't score much (weird, I know). He makes a good first pass, and skates well with the puck. You watch him play and you think "hard hitting puck mover", but he doesn't get on the score sheet much.

I wouldn't write him off. He was rather buried in the AHL in Calgary (was actually surprised to see him brought back up, but probably had to do with his strong training camp/preseason), and would have even been buried deeper this year with a few kids turning pro. No idea what your system is like, but if you guys aren't too deep in defence, I would bet he turns his game around and becomes a solid depth defencemen who can be trusted defensively, and who can make the occasional devastating hit on an unsuspecting forward.

FWIW, fans definitely understand why the deal has happened, but I don't think anyone is happy to see him go, other than being happy for him in getting a chance to get his career back on track. Solid character guy, with NHL upside.

Thanks for the info. Better than a 5th round draft pick IMO. At least we have a who could compete for the bottom pair now.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Chiasson is not garbage but he's 4th / 3rd line tweener and he didn't even get good money or term with a team that traded for him. there's for sure holes in his game and i hope him the best in Calgary.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2010-11 U.S. National Development Team USHL 36 1 3 4 66 3 2 0 0 0 2
2011-12 U.S. National Development Team USHL 24 0 2 2 55 0 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 45 3 8 11 85 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Abbotsford Heat AHL 2 0 0 0 0 1 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Adirondack Flames AHL 48 2 3 5 78 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Stockton Heat AHL 52 2 9 11 54 -16 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Calgary Flames NHL 1 1 0 1 2 1 -- -- -- -- --
NHL Totals 1 1 0 1 2

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Chiasson is not garbage but he's 4th / 3rd line tweener and he didn't even get good money or term with a team that traded for him. there's for sure holes in his game and i hope him the best in Calgary.

No, he's pretty much a 4th liner on a team that had too many 4th liners. He was traded a year too late. Maybe we could have duped someone into thinking he's a PF, like BM was.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
He is undoubtedly the biggest disappointment in my mind in the past 5 years.

I wouldn't give him a one way contract. He's a 20g-20a guy in the AHL.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
It still bugs me that after being burned on a small sample size player in Cory Conacher that Murray would turn around and make the same mistake with Chiasson.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You can never have to many Dman, even if this guy is a 7-8 and plays 10-20 games per season for us it'll be good.

If we don't need him this season that's the best case scenario because it means no injuries, but when we need him he'll be ready to fill in.

Not sexy, but good depth move. Chiasson just had no speed at all.

Gagne is a lot like Chiasson, all outside on the boards and can't get to the middle of the ice on his own. He has to improve his skating or he's not going to make it in the NHL

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Meh, we should tried getting a pick but w.e chiasson was just a grim reminder of the spezza trade. He still has some goal scoring potential

I cannot imagine the melancholy in your world :p Cheer up!... Spezza was on a playoff team that failed to translate, which will be his lot in life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad