Confirmed with Link: Alex Chiasson traded for Patrick Sieloff

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Done

OTTAWA – The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that the club has acquired defenceman Patrick Sieloff from the Calgary Flames in exchange for forward Alex Chiasson.

Sieloff, 22, made his National Hockey League debut with Calgary last season, playing one game. In his lone game, he scored the game-winning goal in the Flames’ 2-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild on April 9. In 52 games with the American Hockey League’s Stockton Heat, he scored two goals, nine assists and recorded 54 penalty minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
latest

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Remember hearing that Dorion was talking with Calgary at the draft. Must have been about this.

What a disappointment Chiasson was.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Better than losing him for nothing.

I know Sieloff's supposed to be a big hitter, but he's also dealt with some injuries. We'll see how his development goes.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Meh, we should tried getting a pick but w.e chiasson was just a grim reminder of the spezza trade. He still has some goal scoring potential

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A left-shooting defensive defenceman with no offensive game whatsoever and hits like a cement trick.

Hmmm... I swear to god, I've heard this somewhere before...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Even if this Seiloff guy never plays hockey again, this is a landslide win for the Sens. Amazing trade. I'm so happy!

I'm not joking. Chiasson is awful

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hmmmm
Would have rather seen chiasson under Boucher. But ok.
Robinson, you're in.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I guess this basically guarantees that we're signign a forward when UFA opens. Unless they want to run a Puempel-Pyatt-Neil fourth line, in which case I'll be praying for death.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Some Flames fans think that Sielhoff still has top-4 potential (if everything goes perfectly), but was overtaken on the depth chart after suffering a staph infection.

I mean, it's Flames fans though, so take it with a grain of salt. :laugh:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Believe the #Sens have informed Patrick Wiercioch he won't be a extended qualifying offer. No surprise.
- Garrioch
Wiercioch hitting free agency

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Flames fan here:

With Sieloff, you get a prospect that is a bit behind due to his injuries (he could have died at one point, IIRC, from a staph infection).

At any rate, he has had a couple cups of coffee at the NHL level, and looked better than I thought he would. I thought he actually looked better in the NHL than he normally does at the AHL level. There is some NHL-potential there.

He skates well, he will fight, but he isn't the biggest body. Defensively responsible, hard and accurate shot, but doesn't score much (weird, I know). He makes a good first pass, and skates well with the puck. You watch him play and you think "hard hitting puck mover", but he doesn't get on the score sheet much.

I wouldn't write him off. He was rather buried in the AHL in Calgary (was actually surprised to see him brought back up, but probably had to do with his strong training camp/preseason), and would have even been buried deeper this year with a few kids turning pro. No idea what your system is like, but if you guys aren't too deep in defence, I would bet he turns his game around and becomes a solid depth defencemen who can be trusted defensively, and who can make the occasional devastating hit on an unsuspecting forward.

FWIW, fans definitely understand why the deal has happened, but I don't think anyone is happy to see him go, other than being happy for him in getting a chance to get his career back on track. Solid character guy, with NHL upside.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good for Chiasson, hopefully now he can be back on track to his NHL career after things went a bit badly under Cameron

Bad that we couldn't even get something of value for him... Maybe waited too long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad