Confirmed with Link: Alex Chiasson traded for Patrick Sieloff

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except for the fact Murray was offered Ryan Callahan and Derek Stepan for Spezza and Neil but Murray declined because we would lose too much "leadership."

Can you verify this. I've never heard this. When was this offered.

I would have taken only stepan for spezza and Neil.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you think this is all on Murray though? Don't forget part of his mandate was compete while rebuilding. I don't think he ever got a full mandate (or permission) to tear it down completely. As much as publicly they said they were rebuilding, I think internally they always thought they could still be competitive and make the playoffs. A rebuild is more than trading out a core player (Fisher), a useful player (Kelly) and scraps.

In the end, he is held accountable imo. Melnyk may have mandated that we contend, but it was Murray's job to convince Melnyk that wasn't in his or the team's best interest (assuming he believed that).

It's Murray's job to balance long term and short term needs. IMO, he went with short term over long term which is a mistake for a bubble team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In the end, he is held accountable imo. Melnyk may have mandated that we contend, but it was Murray's job to convince Melnyk that wasn't in his or the team's best interest (assuming he believed that).

It's Murray's job to balance long term and short term needs. IMO, he went with short term over long term which is a mistake for a bubble team.

But that's how bubble teams get to remain bubble teams.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

I agree with that. But I'm sure Melnyk is probably a difficult person to convince, especially when revenue is involved.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Murray didn't make this trade Dorion did & every GM makes mistakes, nobody is perfect & gets exactly what the fans want, that rarely ever happens.

Me too. Is Dorion no longer looking for a defenceman now?

Murray made the trade to acquire Chiasson, which is what I was referring to. :)

I suspect Dorion is still looking for a Defenseman who can play in the NHL to take Wiercioch's spot. I think Borowiecki and Wideman are now viewed as not sufficient for the third pairing. The first two pairs are OK. I think an upgrade of the third pair would be a good thing. I doubt that Dorion will have the budget to acquire a better third pairing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
By the way, when was the last trade that Murray won? I just can't recall since the Turris vs rundblad.

1297809227713_ORIGINAL.jpg

... Arguably the Lehner-White deal as well, depending on how that plays out. Impossible to tell as of right now.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yeah, Phaneuf trade is a huge win for us. Upgrades defense and saves money!? Thats almost impossible nowadays.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, Phaneuf trade is a huge win for us. Upgrades defense and saves money!? Thats almost impossible nowadays.

I'm not really totally sold in pahneuf trade. In a years two years time I think we would all just rather the cap space

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The Phaneuf trade looks even better now with how much teams are demanding for defensemen and what the FA market is currently. If the Leafs had hung onto him awhile longer I think they would have gotten a really good return this summer from a team like Edmonton.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The Phaneuf trade looks even better now with how much teams are demanding for defensemen and what the FA market is currently. If the Leafs had hung onto him awhile longer I think they would have gotten a really good return this summer from a team like Edmonton.

Phaneuf wouldn't have waived his NMC to go to Edmonton anyways.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It would have been nice to see what the new coaching staff could do with Chaisson but oh well.

What Chiasson needs is a surgeon, not a coach. He needs news legs to skate faster and a new brain to learn how to play the game properly without putting his team in trouble every time he's on the ice.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's hard to argue that contending teams holding onto their UFA for a last attempt at the cup is the same as a bubble team. The devils with Parise, LA with Lucic, Preds with Suter, all teams wanting to contend for the cup. Very different from Ottawa.

The truth, as you mention, is that Spezza had made it know going well back that he wasn't happy, and we opted to move him when his value was lowest for fear of it dipping even further or losing him for nothing. But make no mistake, the return was poor, and everyone agreed on that at the time. Many, many teams get better returns on UFA, so it's not like Spezza's return was guaranteed to be worse had we held onto him.

There aren't many moves by Murray I consider worse than his handling of Spezza. Cowen for sure, and perhaps Alfie (the last guy we lost for nothing btw). The fact is, Spezza should have been a valuable asset for us, but he allowed it to dwindle in value, and took the safe option rather than try and get the best option. Sometimes, safe is the right choice, but I'm not convinced safe was in the Sens best interest at the time. Remember when Ottawa would take the riskier path, locking out Yashin for a full year rather than re-negotiate his contract? Trading a star center in Yashin at the height of his career? Sometimes safe is death, and imo, the way we handled Spezza was safe, and we paid for it.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I fully acknowledge that there were risks of waiting to trade him, and that Chiasson could have turned out better (though the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to be great), but I thought at the time it was worth the risk, and stand by that.

I am not saying that the return would have been worse guaranteed if we waited at the deadline, but like you said yourself, it could have been lower with an injury (which happened a lot with Spezza), impossible to know.

Cowen is a failed top prospect, injuries derailed his career. All that Murray could have done better is to give up on him earlier and get something of value. But in the end, he was part of the return for Phaneuf so not that dramatic. I feel like Cowen has both been unlucky and entitled because of early junior success. Sucks for him but they can't all succeed.

Alfie's situation was a mess and I would have been mad if he was younger and had more years left in him, but he was like 40 or 41 y/o and only played 1 more season... We were never sure in his last few seasons when he was going to retire, as I was prepared for his retirement so I really didn't see it as a big deal as most people here, even though Alfie is the reason I became a Sens fan from Montreal. Sucks that he didn't play 100% of his career with the Sens, but other than that, no big deal for me. Happens with most players who do not finish their career with "their" team, like Brodeur for example.

Spezza was a valuable asset for us but NOT as much as Sens would have hoped. 31 y/o center making big money, now producing around 60 pts per season, injury prone with back problems, good offensively but under average defensively, but most importantly 1 year before being UFA and made it known he was NOT re-signing in Ottawa and even asked for a trade... We did get GOOD value for him at first in the deal with Nashville, but it didn't went through so we had to settle with the best option among teams on Spezza list... Pretty sure nobody wanted to deal with that distraction all season. Melnyk probably gave the order to Murray to "trade Spezza before next season"

Based on those facts, I am not too disappointed with a return of Nick Paul, Gabriel Gagne and Alex Chiasson (although it's unfortunate that he didn't perform better for Ottawa). Now if Paul and Gagne both bust it would suck, but as the same time, it still wouldn't be that much of a big deal for me, as we only lost 1 YEAR of Spezza, who could have been injured for all season after a few games.

Note : Chiasson was a 8.0C prospect on HF. Not saying HF is gospel but he was seen as a quality prospect. He came into the league and scored 35 points, which was very good for a rookie. He then had 26 pts in 76 games in his sophomore season which was still decent but unfortunately, it went the wrong way last year. Conclusion : Chiasson was projecting to be at least a decent 3rd liner. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a bit of 3rd line success in Calgary

To me, worse Murray moves are by far his coaching hirings and too much time fixing goaltending before Anderson. Other than that, people will say the Bishop trade, but forget conveniently that he acquired for just a 2nd round pick a bit before.

By the way, when was the last trade that Murray won? I just can't recall since the Turris vs rundblad.

Hey Yogi

Rundblad vs Turris yeah but what about :

Elliott vs Anderson? (trading a goalie done with the team for a quality #1 for several years)
Silfverberg vs Ryan? (trading a 3rd liner and 2 young assets (that are somewhat busting) for a 1st liner or at worst top-6 forward)
Foligno vs Methot? (trading a middle-sixer (means your 4th to 9th best forward, depending on the year) for a #3 D-man)
Lehner + Legwand vs 21st (White)? (trading a goalie not able to establish himself with the team and a cap dump for a 1st round pick in the deepest draft in a very long time)
Phaneuf deal (getting a #2 D-man for a prospect and a 2nd, while dumping 3 contracts)

Of course, I don't see trades as win or lose, as both teams are more trying to fix a position of need with a position of strenght in reality, but those are trades that benefited the Sens IMO.

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Kris Russell returned more then Jason Spezza

Not going to get in to this, but the packages were quite similar actually. Russell did not return more than Spezza.

Sure, the value of the pieces in the Russell trade might have turned out a bit better than ours, but Chiasson still had decent potential at the time of the deal, Paul still has the potential to be an impact piece for us, Guptill was a wild card (flopped), and the 2nd turned in to Gagne (still developing).

Calgary got Jokipakka (similar situation Chiasson was in before he was traded but at a different position), Pollock (I'll consider him on par with value of Paul), and turned their pick in to Dillon Dube.

Othello*

Not going to get in to this, but the packages were quite similar actually. Russell did not return more than Spezza.

Sure, the value of the pieces in the Russell trade might have turned out a bit better than ours, but Chiasson still had decent potential at the time of the deal, Paul still has the potential to be an impact piece for us, Guptill was a wild card (flopped), and the 2nd turned in to Gagne (still developing).

Calgary got Jokipakka (similar situation Chiasson was in before he was traded but at a different position), Pollock (I'll consider him on par with value of Paul), and turned their pick in to Dillon Dube.
Even if the packages where similar it's still pretty bad since Spezza is much better than Russel.

Whatever though, at least Dorion got rid of Chiasson

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Anyone else still giddy like a school girl that Chiasson is gone for good?

I'm still smiling like an idiot. Granted, the Subban trade and Habs fans reactions have also helped keep me smiling.

Hey guys, remember when the Habs traded Subban?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How anyone is looking forward to playing vs Weber regularly instead of Subban is odd to me.

Noone was afraid to play PK.

Weber is a different story. I hope he doesn't knock Anderson out again with a slapper.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
How anyone is looking forward to playing vs Weber regularly instead of Subban is odd to me.

Noone was afraid to play PK.

Weber is a different story. I hope he doesn't knock Anderson out again with a slapper.

Short term, makes the Habs harder to play against. Long term, not so much.

I like this trade for the 2018-19 Sens. Hopefully that's when our window to really and truly contend opens up, and it's one less team in the Atlantic who poses a threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad