Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
U right. A better playmaker then I thought, not Kerfoot level, but pretty good.

Kerfoot and Sexton's numbers are very similar. They both played in the same league and the same division but Clarkson didn't have the the talent Harvard had

Kerfoot
102 games
28 goals
76 assist
104 points
1.02 PPG

Sexton
102 games
24 goals
61 assist - * No Vessey :)
85 points
0.83 PPG

19 point difference....Really, 15 assist difference over 4 years not playing with Vessey, Ryan Donato or Adam Fox. Those are some relatively high draft picks Kerfoot has gotten to play with. There was nothing like that at Clarkson.

I'm just saying Sexton is very much along the lines of Lorito or Kerfoot, so it really shouldn't have been all that much of surprise to see him contribute the way he is at 25 years old.

He now has 39 points in 40 AHL games this season for Albany.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ha, no 39 penalty minutes. 23 points.

And Kerfoot, without Vesey is at an assist per game this season. And with Vesey was just below an apg. Sexton's had one season that sniffed that rate, and then followed that up with just over .5 apg. Senior season had 22 apg in 35.

So not really.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ha, no 39 penalty minutes. 23 points.

And Kerfoot, without Vesey is at an assist per game this season. And with Vesey was just below an apg. Sexton's had one season that sniffed that rate, and then followed that up with just over .5 apg. Senior season had 22 apg in 35.

So not really.

This is we should pay little attention to assist. Or at least parse the hell out of them.

If you don't think playing with Vesey for 3 years, #56 overall Ryan Danato for last two year and #66 overall and WJC U20 gold medalist Adam Fox this year has nothing to do with production....Well, I don't know what to tell you.

Fox was second on team USA WJC in D scoring and he has as many assist as Kerfoot at Harvard this season and Fox is a freshman at 18 years old.

Browse through those Clarkson rosters the years Sexton was there...He was one of the only drafted players on the team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kerfoot maybe played 2 years with Vesey. Or at least neither did a whole lot in Kerfoot's rookie year.

Hey if you want to try to explain why Kerfoot is a significantly better assist man in his Jr and Sr seasons then Sexton was, then go ahead, but the fact is, in his upperclassmen seasons, Kerfoot is a significantly better assist man then Sexton was.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kerfoot maybe played 2 years with Vesey. Or at least neither did a whole lot in Kerfoot's rookie year.

Hey if you want to try to explain why Kerfoot is a significantly better assist man in his Jr and Sr seasons then Sexton was, then go ahead, but the fact is, in his upperclassmen seasons, Kerfoot is a significantly better assist man then Sexton was.

I don't know how many ways to say it...The difference in assist isn't as big as the difference in talent each played with.

Junior and Senior
Kerfoot had 48 assist in 50 games

Sexton had 37 assist in 63 games

Now Sexton Junior year- Here are the top point producers - Sexton is the only drafted player here.
Allan McPherson 25
Jarrett Burton 20
Ben Sexton 20 Drafted player
Joe Zarbo 17
Patrick Megannety17
Will Frederick 16

Kerfoot Junior year top point producers
Jimmy Vesey 46 Drafted player
Alexander Kerfoot 34 Darfted player
Kyle Criscuolo 32
Ryan Donato 21 Darafted player
Luke Esposito 21
Sean Malone 19
Tyler Moy 19 Drafted player
Colin Blackwell 19 Drafted Player
Clay Anderson 15

I don't feel like doing this for their Senior year - -Too much typing but it's more of the same...

Vessey produced more points in Kerfoot's junior year than Clarkson's top 2 scorers produced combined! Harvard's top scorers had 5 NHL drafted players in the lineup Kerfoots Junior year. This year 5 of the top 5 Harvard players are drafted so there is probably just as much talent on Harvard this year than last.

Do you really think the difference in 11 assist over 2 years has nothing to with with talent he's played with?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
+11 assists in -13 games.

Of coarse surrounding talent plays into it. But just the same, Kerfoot produced at a much better rate.

But again, parsing a specific within the larger argument which was the surprising production of Sexton.

And really the 10 a's in 40 games is not that surprising. .25 apg? Not at all shocking. It's the 13 g's. his career high in college was 8. He had 11 in his final 63 college gp's. He scored 8 goals in 73 career AHL games prior to this year. You have to go back to his time in the BCHL 7 years ago to find the last time he scored double digit goals.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ben Sexton is 25 and turns 26 in 5 months. It's nice that he's become a decent player for Albany, but he's not anything special and is very unlikely to ever play in the NHL. Kerfoot probably isn't anything special either.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ben Sexton is 25 and turns 26 in 5 months. It's nice that he's become a decent player for Albany, but he's not anything special and is very unlikely to ever play in the NHL. Kerfoot probably isn't anything special either.

This was not at all the point.

Still working under the Albany last year vs Albany this year umbrella. Specifically why the career AHL vet's are not that important.

Sexton might be an interesting example of, if you have some skills, and you hang around long enough, with the right oppurtunity you will start to produce points in the AHL.

Kerfoot is still a long shot, but I'm certainly more intrigued this year then I was last year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This was not at all the point.

Still working under the Albany last year vs Albany this year umbrella. Specifically why the career AHL vet's are not that important.

Sexton might be an interesting example of, if you have some skills, and you hang around long enough, with the right oppurtunity you will start to produce points in the AHL.

Kerfoot is still a long shot, but I'm certainly more intrigued this year then I was last year.

To some extent Coleman, Pietila, Lappin, Lorito, Joe Whiteny, Carter Camper, Paul Thompson, Mike Sislo are all examples of this to varying degrees. Some of those players are more viable NHLer based on age/window

It is 4 year college players that have had some level success in the NCAA that are good enough to stick around the AHL but not good enough for the Big League.

You do 4 years in college, you better find yourself in the NHL within a couple years or you're leading an AHL team in scoring until you get an office job :laugh: Sometimes though they end up being Brian Gionta or John Madden.

Next year or maybe two I would watch for a Max Novak, possibly a Kevin Rooney to see jumps in their production if they stick around.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Brian O'Neill is another example

2008-09 Yale University ECAC 33 12 14 26
2009-10 Yale University ECAC 34 16 29 45
2010-11 Yale University ECAC 36 20 26 46
2011-12 Yale University ECAC 35 21 25 46
2011-12 Manchester Monarchs AHL 12 1 1 2

3.Boom 2014-15 Manchester Monarchs AHL 71 22 58 80 *27 years old

His opportunity was already all-but over when he was the AHL scoring champ but that was enough to get him a couple of looks and a good contract in the KHL.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sexton's gritty style(judging by his pm's, and I think I read something somewhere) may have cost him some offensive oppurtunities early in his AHL career as well. Typecast as a 3rd liner perhaps.

All of a sudden get on a squad with injuries and a fair amount of call ups, get the oppurtunity, and the untapped ability becomes apparent.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sexton's gritty style(judging by his pm's, and I think I read something somewhere) may have cost him some offensive oppurtunities early in his AHL career as well. Typecast as a 3rd liner perhaps.

All of a sudden get on a squad with injuries and a fair amount of call ups, get the oppurtunity, and the untapped ability becomes apparent.

For Sexton it might've been more about who was in front of him in Providence.

Alexander Khokhlachev
Seth Griffith
Ryan Spooner
Nick Johnson
Craig Cunningham
Anthony Camara

You want your high picks/valued prospects playing key roles and even though there are probably people that can actually do a better job in a top 6 role than someone like Quenneville(as an example) there is no way you are playing a Ben Sexton over him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
A-dev's lead st John's 1-0 in the first.

Goal Mozik. looks unassisted so far.

Appleby in net.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Albany is pretty healthy tonight Quenneville, Blandisi, Lappin all in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad