Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Which is a positive. 3000 people in a 15k seat arena looks like a ghost town. 3000 in a 6500 doesn't look terrible.

That too. I went to an Albany game years ago when it was still the River Rats and I think the upper levels are curtained off but still, not a good look. I'm sure Binghamton is a cheaper place for the team to have its affiliate.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bingo only holds about 4700 for hockey. The major difference is Bingo has a local group that will manage the day to day off ice operations. Word is Times Union is in negotiations with a anchor tenant that is not a hockey team.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The lease has to be way cheaper. It seats a hell of a lot less. The article says Lou and Co didn't care about the financial aspect of playing in Albany because it was a really nice place with a NHL caliber locker room and training facility. Goes on to say the new owners actually care about the financials.

If the training facility and locker rooms are really a problem, Im very confident the the Devils owners will drop the money needed to upgrade them to the level they see fit. That shouldnt be a reason to keep a team at a location because that can all be upgraded in most cases.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If the training facility and locker rooms are really a problem, Im very confident the the Devils owners will drop the money needed to upgrade them to the level they see fit. That shouldnt be a reason to keep a team at a location because that can all be upgraded in most cases.

I think it was more of Lou and Co not caring about Albany losing money or being profitable BECAUSE it had nice amenities as well, not based solely on amenities.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY

This was done a few years ago by the Senators. The locker room was upgraded and an addition was put on for a training room. The Devils brass toured our facility last year, they aren't coming in blind, they know our facility.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
No problem with them moving, but moving to another city that has not supported AHL hockey?

This is 100% not true. Binghamton fully supports AHL hockey. Our metro area is a fraction of the size of Albany and other large AHL markets. Yes our attendance is on average about 3600-3800 per game, but that puts our rink at 75-80% capacity. When the team is better, that number goes up. Ottawa has iced some pretty terrible teams in the 15 years they've been around. Teams are fully supported here. We have a large season ticket base as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is 100% not true. Binghamton fully supports AHL hockey. Our metro area is a fraction of the size of Albany and other large AHL markets. Yes our attendance is on average about 3600-3800 per game, but that puts our rink at 75-80% capacity. When the team is better, that number goes up. Ottawa has iced some pretty terrible teams in the 15 years they've been around. Teams are fully supported here. We have a large season ticket base as well.

Do you think that support will be at all effected by the Devils-Rangers rivalry?

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
No problem with them moving, but moving to another city that has not supported AHL hockey?

Impossible. I've been a hockey fan in the Binghamton area for over 40 years and am part of the SBNation network in providing coverage for the Binghamton Senators.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Do you think that support will be at all effected by the Devils-Rangers rivalry?

Absolutely not. I think we may actually see gains in attendance from the very high population of downstate SUNY Binghamton students that may be Devils fans. We knew the Sens were leaving, it was no secret, we realize how lucky we are to have an AHL team and I'm sure the fans will welcome the Devils. I'm a Rangers fan, I will still buy my season tickets. I'm a Yankees fan as well, but still supported the local Binghamton Mets team since their inception. I even wear B-Mets gear (now the Rumble Ponies, lol). We're a minor league sports town, have been for a long time. I think most fans adopt whoever is here as our team, regardless of affiliation.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It all depends on the marketing. Traditionally this area is a NY Rangers' follower.

However new blood will be welcomed with open arms I can assure you.

Absolutely not. I think we may actually see gains in attendance from the very high population of downstate SUNY Binghamton students that may be Devils fans. We knew the Sens were leaving, it was no secret, we realize how lucky we are to have an AHL team and I'm sure the fans will welcome the Devils. I'm a Rangers fan, I will still buy my season tickets. I'm a Yankees fan as well, but still supported the local Binghamton Mets team since their inception. I even wear B-Mets gear (now the Rumble Ponies, lol). We're a minor league sports town, have been for a long time. I think most fans adopt whoever is here as our team, regardless of affiliation.

Good to know. Albany had a way of being very empty and with a rather large arena, it was a bit eerie at times.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It all depends on the marketing. Traditionally this area is a NY Rangers' follower.

However new blood will be welcomed with open arms I can assure you.

Good to hear.

As someone who intends to make many weekend trips to Bingo to see games, I am hoping to not have to deal with the locals talking trash about the Devils in the arena and at the bars.

In Albany, the people are friendly up there.

**I was hopeful that they would choose a unique nickname (Ex: Dusters) so the entire region would be fully behind the team.
Is it too late or did they already confirm that it would be the Binghamton Devils?

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Good to hear.

**I was hopeful that they would choose a unique nickname (Ex: Dusters) so the entire region would be fully behind the team.
Is it too late or did they already confirm that it would be the Binghamton Devils?

It's purely rumor at this point, but from what I was told from a fairly reliable source is that our Operations Manager, the guy who will run the day to day wanted badly for the team to be the Dusters, but NJ stepped in and said they'd be the Devils. Now this could be 100% wrong, but that is what I was told. It is unfortunate if true. They have not officially announced what the team will be called. They haven't officially announced anything yet.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It's purely rumor at this point, but from what I was told from a fairly reliable source is that our Operations Manager, the guy who will run the day to day wanted badly for the team to be the Dusters, but NJ stepped in and said they'd be the Devils. Now this could be 100% wrong, but that is what I was told. It is unfortunate if true. They have not officially announced what the team will be called. They haven't officially announced anything yet.

Well hopefully the Devils ownership and mgmt realize that a unique nickname would be a much better decision for all parties.

Forcing the Devils name onto a minor league hockey club had failed in Lowell, Albany at the AHL level and in Trenton at the ECHL level with bottom of the barrel attendance in all 3 cities.

IMO, every minor league club should have a unique nickname that is derived from the host city's culture/history/folklore.

Keep the Devils name iconic at the NHL level.

But if you want to sell a lot more tickets and make the Bingo arena a lively rink for NJD prospects to play in, give the Bingo area fans a Bingo-unique team nickname that they can all rally around, regardless of their NHL fandoms.

Do the wise thing Josh Harris and Hugh Weber.
Do what Dr. John McMullen did in 1982, let the Bingo area fans vote on a team nickname.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Bingo season ticket holders and fans should start a petition for the Dusters or a unique team nickname and send it to the NJD mgmt.

Tell them you are excited that the Devils have chosen Binghamton but feel that a unique name would be more successful for the franchise and for the community.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bingo season ticket holders and fans should start a petition for the Dusters or a unique team nickname and send it to the NJD mgmt.

Tell them you are excited that the Devils have chosen Binghamton but feel that a unique name would be more successful for the franchise and for the community.

Binghamton Devil Dusters or Dust Devils :dunno:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Broome County is just visibly upset by this disgusting display ... so come on down and get your seats for the next home game! Bring the kids! We got entertainment for the whole family!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh is that what that was?

Is Binghamton in Broome county?

Binghamton is in Broome county.

When the Hanson get their first shift and mayhem ensues all over the ice, Announcer Jim Carr does a sales pitch to "come out to the game" it's funny.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Watching the game. Albany is dominating. Q is very noticeable. Blender was in alone and failed to execute a fore-hand to backhand shot. Devils look faster and crisper than Rochester but it's only 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad