Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Team is on pace to score exactly the same amount of goals as last last season. They have 106 in 39 so far this season and they had 212 in 76 last season.

The Goal differential is the poor goaltending from Blackwood. Almost entirely.
Kid has 48 goals against in 17 games....By comparison - Appleby has 28 goals against in 15 games and Wedgewood allowed 20 in 10 games ---

Appleby and Wedgewood combined 48 goals against in 25 games for a 2.025 GAA vs Blackwoods 3.20 GAA...yup. Pretty easy to see the problem. Don't think those career minor leaguers that we lost factor much into this...But I'm sure somebodies shot matrix says differently.

As far as wins. The had 46 wins last season. It was a franchise record. I don't believe ANYONE claimed the team would equal that. But even so, the team is on course to win 40 games games this.

I am trying to find last years game log cause I'm pretty sure last years team was in a pretty bad funk around this time last year before reeling off something like 8 in row.

If anyone can direct me to a game I'm curious to know how many wins the 2016 team had at the 39 game mark...I'd be awfully surprised if it was much different than this team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Remember---It was alllllllll the scoring we lost from those awesome career minor leaguers that was going to be the problem...LOL

We weren't going to survive without O'Neil, Sislo, Gragnani, O'Brien, Thompson...Remember?

Ohhh, lest not forget... The Magnificent Cory Tropp folks. Tropp :biglaugh:

If Dan Kelly and Corbin McPherson were here Blackwood probably wouldn't have given up 48 goals in 17 games :help:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Blackwood is a big reason why the A-Devils' goal differential is where it is compared to last year, but they're also even territorially whereas last year's team was at 55%. I think they're shooting better and they're certainly getting more balanced scoring this year, but balanced scoring isn't exactly what you want out of a minor league affiliate. The fact that someone like Kevin Rooney might be an AHL 3rd liner doesn't do a whole lot for the Devils.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Blackwood is a big reason why the A-Devils' goal differential is where it is compared to last year, but they're also even territorially whereas last year's team was at 55%. I think they're shooting better and they're certainly getting more balanced scoring this year, but balanced scoring isn't exactly what you want out of a minor league affiliate. The fact that someone like Kevin Rooney might be an AHL 3rd liner doesn't do a whole lot for the Devils.

But I don't think that was the point. Point was whether this team would be as good as last years team.

And Jim is deviating from that point as well, talking strictly about goal scoring. That was just one element of the larger argument.

Bottom line imo is: The team is not as good as last years, and this despite the division being pretty lousy.

Edit: at least thus far, will be interesting to see what the team looks like towards the end of the season, will we see guys like Speers, Kerfoot, or McLeod and Bastion? not to mention guys like Wood and Zacha.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But I don't think that was the point. Point was whether this team would be as good as last years team.

And Jim is deviating from that point as well, talking strictly about goal scoring. That was just one element of the larger argument.

Bottom line imo is: The team is not as good as last years, and this despite the division being pretty lousy.

Edit: at least thus far, will be interesting to see what the team looks like towards the end of the season, will we see guys like Speers, Kerfoot, or McLeod and Bastion? not to mention guys like Wood and Zacha.

My point was ALWAYS that Triumph and FMASC...To some some extent yourself and DD were drastically overrating the value of the Career Minor Leaguer.

Nobody, certainly not I, would've argued that this team was going to win more games than the franchise record setting 46 that they won last year.

What I always argued was we had the prospects to make up for the scoring AND that having true prospects in those roles doing the yeomans works was BETTER than "dime a dozen career minor leaguers" doing it (to quote myself) .

Furthermore I argued that you can pick up a Sislo, Thompson, Tropp, O'Brien anywhere. And that they drift from team to team every year.

All correct by the way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My involvement in the debate was always about the overall level of play and not any about a single aspect, ie goal scoring. Pretty sure that's what we were all debating.

My main point was that I did not see it as a foregone that we would see a significant drop off. And it has been more then I expected. But it's also been gutted a bit, especially of late.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What I always argued was we had the prospects to make up for the scoring AND that having true prospects in those roles doing the yeomans works was BETTER than "dime a dozen career minor leaguers" doing it (to quote myself) .

You've always combined two seperate points into one on this matter. Would I prefer Albany to have a 95-point season with kids doing the lion's share of the work as opposed to a 105-point season with AHL lifers doing the lion's share of the work? Sure. But that does not make this year's team similar to last year's team in terms of results, which was the point some were making that just from a record/performance standpoint this Albany team would not be as good as last year's. Is what's happening this year better for the franchise, yeah - especially assuming they do get a crack at the playoffs - but again that's a seperate point from arguing that there'd be no dropoff in results.

And there is a happy medium, I would not want the team to be a 75-point one for the sake of playing kids solely, I want the kids we do have down there to get big game/playoff experience. I hated it when for years Albany was a 70-point team out of the running and the few prospects we did have never got to play in any big games.

As far as Blackwood well that's part of the playing kids and punting AHL vets purge you wanted since they punted Danis to get Blackwood a spot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You've always combined two seperate points into one on this matter. Would I prefer Albany to have a 95-point season with kids doing the lion's share of the work as opposed to a 105-point season with AHL lifers doing the lion's share of the work? Sure. But that does not make this year's team similar to last year's team in terms of results, which was the point some were making that just from a record/performance standpoint this Albany team would not be as good as last year's. Is what's happening this year better for the franchise, yeah - especially assuming they do get a crack at the playoffs - but again that's a seperate point from arguing that there'd be no dropoff in results.

And there is a happy medium, I would not want the team to be a 75-point one for the sake of playing kids solely, I want the kids we do have down there to get big game/playoff experience. I hated it when for years Albany was a 70-point team out of the running and the few prospects we did have never got to play in any big games.

As far as Blackwood well that's part of the playing kids and punting AHL vets purge you wanted since they punted Danis to get Blackwood a spot.

Unfortuneately the current roster is pretty devoid of quality prospects. Woods Lappin Santini Coleman are all up. Blender is hurt, Q is somewhere.

Last couple games is Pietila, Kujo, Jacobs and the goalie's on the prospect front.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just reference this page:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2081133&page=10

There was a strong contingent of people arguing that Albany could be better, in absolute terms, this year than last. That was wrong then and is still wrong now.

Oh please. Even then you and Triumph were arguing how Sislo couldn't be replaced and nobody was going to at be a a point a game like those great league leaders of Sislo and the former scoring champ O'Neil...It was unequivocally wrong.

You hang your hat on those 46 wins that nobody was arguing if that makes you feel better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unfortuneately the current roster is pretty devoid of quality prospects. Woods Lappin Santini Coleman are all up. Blender is hurt, Q is somewhere.

Last couple games is Pietila, Kujo, Jacobs and the goalie's on the prospect front.

Right but I'm sure they'll all get to play in the AHL playoffs (assuming we don't make a miracle run into the NHL playoffs ourselves...and even then a couple of those guys'll be down).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Right but I'm sure they'll all get to play in the AHL playoffs (assuming we don't make a miracle run into the NHL playoffs ourselves...and even then a couple of those guys'll be down).

Ya agree, said it prior, it will be pretty interesting to see what the lineup looks like at the end of the year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh please. Even then you and Triumph were arguing how Sislo couldn't be replaced and nobody was going to at be a a point a game like those great league leaders of Sislo and the former scoring champ O'Neil...It was unequivocally wrong.

You hang your hat on those 46 wins that nobody was arguing if that makes you feel better.

I agree with Jim here, the "it was wrong then and it's wrong now" argument is meh. Sislo and ONeil were big contributors last year, but hardly unreplaceable players. Like was argued at the time, the 2 Blakes have been able to step up and play well. Q has produced as well as anyone last year. We expected young guys to make contributions and they have.

And as far as vets go, Camper is at a ppg(granted limited games played, but that helps support the "we are as good" argument) Sexton has been good. We expected Blender to play well if he was in Albany, and he has, but he then got hurt.

This years team, as evidence by the presence of the ECHL players, as well as some iffy goal tending has faced more adversity this year but is still performing pretty well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I was literally laughed at in this thread for saying Sexton, Camper and Gibbons are our new Career Minor Leaguers to replace the old ones

.95 PPG
.93 PPG
.5 PPG

You put any 28 year old minor leaguer in a top 6 spot with PP time and he's going to produce points. Meaningless points. Meaningless Whitney and Paul Thompson points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think I was literally laughed at in this thread for saying Sexton, Camper and Gibbons are our new Career Minor Leaguers to replace the old ones

.95 PPG
.93 PPG
.5 PPG

You put any 28 year old minor leaguer in a top 6 spot with PP time and he's going to produce points. Meaningless points. Meaningless Whitney and Paul Thompson points.

I think you are right here, and that was a central point of the opposing argument.

but the overall look of it still says last years team was better by a decent amount. Record, goal differential, and shot differential, all say it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kujawinski from Sexton and Camper. Kujawinski will put up points playing with those 2

Appleby in Net.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

.95 PPG
.93 PPG
.5 PPG

To be fair, there was nothing in any of their pasts that suggested Sexton/Camper/Gibbons would be able to replace the production of the guys we brought in.

I think the main gist of this argument is by any reasonable prediction methods, before this season, this Albany team should not even be close to last years team given how deep last years team was. Nine times out of 10, I think FMASC/Triumph would've been right about how they were predicting the A-Devils to struggle, but it just so happened that a lot of things have gone right. JQ has been phenomenal, Pietila found offense out of nowhere, Camper/Gibbons/Sexton have played way better than their previous seasons, Rooney has stepped into the 3C role quite well, etc.

After typing that out, I really have to wonder how much Kowalsky has to do with all of this. Seems like he and Brylin find a way to get the most out of whoever they play in the line-up on any given night.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like things are getting chippy.

Edit: Mozik with a PP goal, 2-0 Albany.

Edit #2: Syracuse scores a goal-mouth scramble goal, Appleby annoyed about potential goaltender interference.

Edit #3: Devils give up another one, 2-2 with 6:40 left in the 3rd.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rooney wins the game on OT!

Good win as Syracuse is top team in division. Though you don't like seeing the team give up a 2 goal lead.

Appleby stops 29 of 31.

Sexton with 2 assists. Of all the players having solid seasons, he is bar far the biggest surprise. Had 19 points in 73 AHL games entering season. Now has 23 in 43 this season. Didn't produce much of anything in college either.

Blake P and Lappin each very quiet, no points 1 sog each.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Good win as Syracuse is top team in division. Though you don't like seeing the team give up a 2 goal lead.

Appleby stops 29 of 31.

Sexton with 2 assists. Of all the players having solid seasons, he is bar far the biggest surprise. Had 19 points in 73 AHL games entering season. Now has 23 in 43 this season. Didn't produce much of anything in college either.

Blake P and Lappin each very quiet, no points 1 sog each.

Sexton is that big of s surprise. He was an excellent play maker in college, like a Kerfoot.

He has suffered a lot of injuries since he started his pro career which is only 2 years but his setup skills are obvious. It might be a surprise that he had 13 goals though.

From Hockeys Future
Sexton has been snake bitten with injuries in in 2015-16 in his second pro season. A hand injury during training camp required surgery and after joining the AHL's Providence Bruins he suffered a wrist injury that required surgery in November. Sexton projects as a lower line, two-way forward who can provide supplementary scoring and toughness.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ben_sexton/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad