Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess some posters will always be concerned about Ray's skating, but watching most of his games on the AHL Network, I'd say he's definitely picked up a step. Still not top-end, but definitely more speed carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

But the thing that really leaps off the page for me, is Raty's shot. It's hard, heavy and he's now cleanly beating goaltenders from distance. It' obvious that this kid is a 'practice demon'.

Despite all the hand-wringing, Raty has had a solid AHL season as a 21-year old. And there's still games to be played.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Just looked up Raty randomly and was pleasantly surprised by his numbers and the fact that he's only 21; for some reason I always think he's older and therefore has a short window to "make it".

But the trajectory seems decent now, especially if there have been improvements eye-test wise as some posters have mentioned.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lekerimakki wearing #44 and making his Abbotsford debut against the Colorado Eagles. Canucks currently trailing 1-0, but Lekermakki has been on the ice a lot including both PP's that Abbotsford drew in the first period. Playing along the half wall like he did in Europe.

He's had a couple of chances so far, but looks a little undersized out there. But these games will be invaluable for his development.

Reactions: Lindgren

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Lekkerimaki might have an assist here. He battled for a puck and it gets to Sasson and Sasson scored on a tight angle right out of nowhere. It was a blink and you'll miss it goal.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Not that anybody is focusing on these players at the moment, but how have Brisebois and Wolanin looked since their return from injury?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Not that anybody is focusing on these players at the moment, but how have Brisebois and Wolanin looked since their return from injury?
I couldn't tell you. I'm doing something else at the same time and just happened to be watching when the goal happened. Anyone else watching?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Out-shot and out-chanced all night long, the Abbotsford Canucks against all odds, eke out a 2-1 OT win.

Tolopilo stood on his head in the third period, as the Canucks took three minors and miraculously managed to kill them all. Lekerimakki looked more than OK at this level, but was stapled to the pine for much of the third period.

I don't think I've ever seen a team turn over as many pucks in their own zone as this Abbotsford team. Often three turnovers on the same shift. I realize that 90 percent of these guys will never see an NHL game. But what you're looking for is some sort of team improvement.

Surely these guys practice their zone exits in every practice. But whatever drills they're doing, it ain't working. Really makes you wonder sometimes about the coaching in Abbotsford.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Feb 20, 2013
Both Lekkerimaki and EP26 in the lineup for Abby. They are getting limited minutes. Lekkerimaki is mainly playing with Stevens and Wouters, but has been getting minutes with more offensive minded players on occasion, and will likely be on the second PP unit as he was yesterday. Pettersson is getting limited ice-time but hasn't looked out of place so far.

Colorado dominated yesterday (Tolopilo was the reason Abby won), and are continuing to carry play today despite an early Max Sasson goal.

As an aside, the Colorado Eagles announcer is insufferable. He says just says "neutral" instead of "neutral zone", every shot is blistering or sizzling or blistered. Every contact, however slight, is an obvious missed penalty call against the opposition where players are described as being "lassoed" or "pitchforked", or "knifed-down".

Also, we have EP40, and now EP26, what's the nickname for the next Elias Pettersson that we draft? EP12? do we call him Mickey?

Reactions: Jay26

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Stienburg took a massive run at Lekkerimaki and sent him over the Eagles bench. D-Petey and Cicek came in defense. It was a late hit. Cicek gets an extra penalty for roughing and Eagles go on the PP.

Reactions: Lindgren and Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2