Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What’s the damn rush? If he’s not ready then he’s not ready. Maybe he’s there just to get exposure and we won’t see him until next season which is fine.
I guess D-Petey will be at Development Camp next fall; and will probably suit up for the annual Prospects Tournament in Penticton. And after training camp, he'll be re-assigned to Abbotsford.

Will he be any better then than he is now? Maybe. But I still can't understand the rationale of not getting him a taste of AHL action before this season is over.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abby is up 5-2 in the third. Wolanin is back and has a goal and an assist. His return could be a difference maker down the stretch and into the playoffs.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I guess D-Petey will be at Development Camp next fall; and will probably suit up for the annual Prospects Tournament in Penticton. And after training camp, he'll be re-assigned to Abbotsford.

Will he be any better then than he is now? Maybe. But I still can't understand the rationale of not getting him a taste of AHL action before this season is over.
He’s only 20, a offseason of training makes a big difference.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Raty voted the game's first star after a four-point effort.....Abbotsford Canucks have been mostly 'up and down; this season.....but Raty's play might be one of the most encouraging things about this entire season.

He's up to 16 goals and 46 points as a 21-year old playing in a tough, physical pro league. Didn't watch the game, so I don't know if he's scoring as a winger or a center......but he's valuable at either position.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and Jay26

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yesterday's game was absolutely abysmal and they had no business being as close as 3-2.

Abbotsford literally didn't have a single decent scoring chance until Sasson scored to make it 2-1 nearly halfway through the game and shots were 19-4 at that point.

Should really have lost 5-1 or something and was only close because of Tolopilo.

Seems like a better result today but the game isn't available online right now for some reason.

A bit frustrating to not see EP2 so they can keep grinding away with a lost cause in Hirose. These late-season games are a slog to watch and the only thing that makes them interesting is new late-season additions.

Reactions: Vector and Jay26

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Raty cannot be overlooked now, finishing the season on devastating form and absolutely has a shot to be a top 9 centre with the Canucks long term .

Still only 21 which people don’t realize , I’m very confident in him now then I was earlier this season

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Raty cannot be overlooked now, finishing the season on devastating form and absolutely has a shot to be a top 9 centre with the Canucks long term .

Still only 21 which people don’t realize , I’m very confident in him now then I was earlier this season
He showed this in training camp
Smarts
Body position
Reading

If he can keep working on his feet the next two years he will be fine

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
nah - just needs to lengthen his stride a bit - this is where just the smallest improvement makes a huge difference
Yes that's what needs to be focussed on in his off seasons.

His first few steps are actually good for a guy his size but then he gets too upright and stays in a short choppy stride rather than using his edges longer and getting a more efficient power loaded stride.

He also has a propensity to widen out on both skates when he gets to the offensive blueline or down low with the puck losing speed which makes it harder to transition back to a full stride when/if he has the option to drive to the net. It also opens him up to back pressure.

It's always been his signature thing though as he uses it to protect the puck and play make from it but he will need to work on doing it less at the NHL level especially at the blueline

Both are very fixable and he has 2 of the best mentors he could ask for in Hank and Danny who had the same stride flaw when they started out.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
2 great examples here at 0:40 and 1:40 of the upright short edged stride and you also see the natural wide stance which i don't suspect will change much but he can work on keeping his feet moving which will help him transition faster.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If it was that easy it would’ve been fixed already
Didnt say it was easy.. lots of hard work
Concept is simple
Yes that's what needs to be focussed on in his off seasons.

His first few steps are actually good for a guy his size but then he gets too upright and stays in a short choppy stride rather than using his edges longer and getting a more efficient power loaded stride.

He also has a propensity to widen out on both skates when he gets to the offensive blueline or down low with the puck losing speed which makes it harder to transition back to a full stride when/if he has the option to drive to the net. It also opens him up to back pressure.

It's always been his signature thing though as he uses it to protect the puck and play make from it but he will need to work on doing it less at the NHL level especially at the blueline

Both are very fixable and he has 2 of the best mentors he could ask for in Hank and Danny who had the same stride flaw when they started out.
Thank you for saying it more eloquently, good information here. That's where lengthening the stride will be critical to improve because he already does have quick feet due to his natural short stride.

What you noted about how he widens out like that is interesting

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a head-scratcher with this team in comparing the first game of a back-to-back, with the second. It's a Jekyll and Hyde performance to be sure.

After a 3-2 stinker of a loss in which Tolopilo stood on his head on Saturday this afternoon the Canucks cruised to a comfortable 5-2 win. Of course they benefited from some of of most wretched goaltending you're ever likely to see from a home team.

Colin Delia (remember him) let two goals leak through him on the first three shots and was yanked. If the Canucks could ever find a bottle their effort in the second half of a double-header, they might have a chance in the upcoming playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Raty showing some offensive breakthrough is a very welcome sign, but it’s going to come down to his skating. If Nils Aman is his competition for 4C in the fall, I could see it being a good battle - Raty is the more complete player with a better projectable skill set, but Aman is a better skater.

Reactions: Szechwan

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Raty showing some offensive breakthrough is a very welcome sign, but it’s going to come down to his skating. If Nils Aman is his competition for 4C in the fall, I could see it being a good battle - Raty is the more complete player with a better projectable skill set, but Aman is a better skater.
What will the waiver status be for Aman, Sasson, and Raty?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What’s the damn rush? If he’s not ready then he’s not ready. Maybe he’s there just to get exposure and we won’t see him until next season which is fine.
Where have you been under a rock, WE NEED TO KNOW this is HF Boards 101 right?:naughty:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You can scrimmage and practice until the cows come home, but you can't figure out how 'close' a guy is, until he actually plays.

I mean if Abbotsford was fighting tooth and nail to get into the playoffs, then I can understand going with a more conservative lineup. But these final 10 games or so don't really matter a damn.
There's nothing the organization needs to learn about him right now that is going to affect where they plan to play him next season, so there is nothing to be gained by throwing him into games that "don't really matter a damn."

We all know that the plan is to play him in the AHL next season and that isn't going to change by watching him in some late season AHL games now.

Aside from the fact the organization doesn't need to see him right now, if watching a new player in end of season garbage time gave a valid evaluation of a player's level, Akito Hirose would have spent most of this season in the NHL rather than being an AHL reserve.

Whether they play him now depends on whether they think it will be the best thing for his development and whether he's ready to contribute more than players who have been playing their systems in North American hockey all season, not for the organization to get some information that won't change their plans and which wouldn't be reliable anyway.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
What will the waiver status be for Aman, Sasson, and Raty?
Aman's waiver exemption ended in late November, 2023. The number of games and seasons depends on age at signing his entry level contract. Aman's signing age for waiver purposes was 22, so he was exempt for three seasons or until he played his 70th NHL game, whichever came first.

Sasson, who hasn't yet played an NHL game, will be exempt from waivers next season unless and until he plays 60 NHL games.

Raty will be exempt from waivers next season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Aman's waiver exemption ended in late November, 2023. The number of games and seasons depends on age at signing his entry level contract. Aman's signing age for waiver purposes was 22, so he was exempt for three seasons or until he played his 70th NHL game, whichever came first.

Sasson, who hasn't yet played an NHL game, will be exempt from waivers next season unless and until he plays 60 NHL games.

Raty will be exempt from waivers next season.
I love this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad