Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I would guess they are loading Abby because a few players will be called up as extra's for the playoffs.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After only one game, it seems a little comical that some posters were worried about exposing Elias Pettersson (D-Petey) to rigors of AHL hockey during the stretch run.

The guy was a beast out there in his first game against the Colorado Eagles, who are a physically punishing team, bordering on dirty and reckless at times. He handed out some punishing hits along the wall, and actually came to the rescue of some teammates when they were being manhandled.

Along with Jett Woo, D-Petey was 'public enemy No. 1" for the Eagles on almost every shift. Vancouver Canuck fans are going to love this guy, the way he plays.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously it's doubtful that recent signees like Mueller, Felton or even Mynio will actually see any AHL action.

But just practicing with AHL pros will wonders for their development, in addition to extending their hockey seasons.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Obviously it's doubtful that recent signees like Mueller, Felton or even Mynio will actually see any AHL action.

But just practicing with AHL pros will wonders for their development, in addition to extending their hockey seasons.

Felton should since he’s purely an AHL signing and 24 years old. The issue with him is he was injured prior to signing and we will never get a proper timeline on when he’ll be ready.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I honestly would be surprised if those guys didn’t get a game or two each. I think the Canucks want them to get as much experience as they can. Abbotsford already seems to rotate enough bodies through the lineup that it wouldn’t shock me to see these guys get a look.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abby with a 4-2 lead after 40. Another two point night for Sasson on a goal and an assist. He really is a great skater and so fluid through the neutral zone.

I doubt he gets the call to the bigs before the season is over......but he would bring so much more to the table and Suter or Blueger right now.

Feb 20, 2013
Abby with a 4-2 lead after 40. Another two point night for Sasson on a goal and an assist. He really is a great skater and so fluid through the neutral zone.

I doubt he gets the call to the bigs before the season is over......but he would bring so much more to the table and Suter or Blueger right now.
As good as Sasson has been lately, I highly doubt he would be better than Blueger or Suter. It is possible he deserves a look over Bains for a couple games though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As good as Sasson has been lately, I highly doubt he would be better than Blueger or Suter. It is possible he deserves a look over Bains for a couple games though.
Well Blueger hasn't scored a goal in close to 30 games, and they've tried Suter just about everywhere, including center, where he really isn't very good.

So if Sasson isn't better at the moment, he certainly might be with a few NHL games under his belt. When your third and fourth lines are in the Bermuda Triangle right now in terms of scoring, you should be willing to try anything.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Feb 20, 2013
Well Blueger hasn't scored a goal in close to 30 games, and they've tried Suter just about everywhere, including center, where he really isn't very good.

So if Sasson isn't better at the moment, he certainly might be with a few NHL games under his belt. When your third and fourth lines are in the Bermuda Triangle right now in terms of scoring, you should be willing to try anything.
I mean what do you expect from depth players? 50 goals? Suter and Blueger have both been in the top 30 league wide in possession metrics this season. They have been incredibly good for what they cost.
At evens with Suter on the ice, the Canucks are outscoring opponents at a more than 2-1 rate (39-18). That is the second best ratio in the league for forwards >30 games played behind only Aleksander Barkov. He is incredibly underrated round these parts.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean what do you expect from depth players? 50 goals? Suter and Blueger have both been in the top 30 league wide in possession metrics this season. They have been incredibly good for what they cost.
At evens with Suter on the ice, the Canucks are outscoring opponents at a more than 2-1 rate (39-18). That is the second best ratio in the league for forwards >30 games played behind only Aleksander Barkov. He is incredibly underrated round these parts.
Yeah… 3rd like player like Bluegar putting up 30ish point pace seems fine. I think it’s a luxury to have a 3rd like center putting up 40+ point pace.
Suter is getting a lot of top6 ice and I think he is underperforming based on that but at the same time, he’s making 1.6M for a reason.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another solid 5-2 win over Manitoba......three stars were Dries (two goals); Karlsson (1-1) and Raty (1-1}.....You could make a case that Raty and Karlsson have been two of the hottest players in the AHL over the past 20 games or so.

Canucks are now in a three-way tie with Bakersfield and Calgary for fifth in the Pacific; with an outside chance of finishing as high as third. Nice to see some of their younger players carrying the team right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Karlsson with his 20th goal and 56th point in 54 games. And he missed 10 games or so on recall to Vancouver. And Raty up to 51 points in 65 games, but most of those coming after the 30 game mark. One of the hottest players in the AHL entering the playoffs, and still only 21.

Can't help but think these guys will get a long look at training camp next season.....as well as Sasson, who might have 60 points himself if he hadn't been on the shelf for 16 games.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I wonder how much longer Karlsson will stick around for before departing for the SHL???

He was called up enough days where he probably made somewhere close to the same amount of $$$ he’d make in Europe; but, it seems like a best case scenario for him next season would still be that of a first call up option.

As for Silovs, I don’t think he’s shown the consistency (even at the AHL level) that he needs to show to give management enough confidence to go into next season as the unchallenged backup to Demko.
It would be nice if he could come into camp and steal the job, but at this point I still think they will bring a veteran backup in and make Silovs beat him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad