Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jett Woo getting sassy tonight.

Since the Colorado crew literally seemed to give third star to a guy for throwing a late hit on Lekkerimaki, I’m kinda fine with Woo letting the building have it.

EDIT:

Even funnier when you factor in Woo getting the OT winner last night and the Colorado announcers sounding like they were reading the classifieds.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Jett Woo getting sassy tonight.

Since the Colorado crew literally seemed to give third star to a guy for throwing a late hit on Lekkerimaki, I’m kinda fine with Woo letting the building have it.

On a side note, I think Jett Woo is our most NHL ready player down there in Abby. He’s vastly improved his offensive side of the game and defensively he’s been as sharp as he’s ever been.

He’ll be 24 by the start of next season. I expect him to grab a spot and make the team.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
On a side note, I think Jett Woo is our most NHL ready player down there in Abby. He’s vastly improved his offensive side of the game and defensively he’s been as sharp as he’s ever been.

He’ll be 24 by the start of next season. I expect him to grab a spot and make the team.
He was really bad in the preseason… could be nerves but he’ll need to be a lot better next preseason to make it

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abby with a big third period........young guys Raty, Karlsson and Sasson continuing to pile up the points. These kids will definitely get a long look in training camp next season.

First game for Elias Pettersson (D-Petey).....and I thought he looked pretty solid. He looks so much bigger out there than his listed height/weight at 6'2" and 195. Looks like he might have had a bit of a growth spurt.

He destroyed a couple of Eagles forwards with some heavy hits along the wall. And generally played a safe, controlled game. Almost impossible to overstate how important it is for kids like Pettersson and Lekkerimaki to get these AHL games in with Abbotsford.

Feb 20, 2013
Funny games this weekend. Abby probably deserved to win neither. They put up a total of 30 shots between the two games, which included an OT period and 2 EN goals. Tolopilo was very good in game 1 and Sawchenko was solid in game two. Sasson was probably the best player on either team across the two games and picked up a goal in each plus 2 assists. Colorado controlled play throughout, but the Canucks managed to score on the chances that they had. I will also say that it is possible the shots totals for the Canucks were being a little unrepresented by the Colorado scorekeepers, it did not seem like they had so little zone time to only have had 15 in each game. The Colorado play by play guys were also hilarious homers, which made the wins all the sweeter.

Lekkerimaki was decent in limited action, really should have had an assist in the first game, but possession was judged to have changed. One of those where more often than not they give out assists. Regardless of that, he played a pretty safe, uneventful brand of hockey but flashed some good skill in transition at times. He will need time to get up to speed with the smaller ice, but his skill and speed is noticeable even at this level. He hasn't gotten that much time with Karlsson, Raty, Sasson, Dries and Nielsen, nor on the first unit PP, so I would expect production to come if/when he is given those sorts of opportunities.

I thought EP26 was actually quite good in this one in limited ice-time. He was his usual physical self, and earned an interference penalty for his efforts. He also kept it simple in zone, and made some good breakout passes. He doesn't shy away either and was very vocal with stick taps when he wanted the puck, which was good to see for a player who must have been feeling some nerves. As others have mentioned, he looks big out there. EliteProspects has him at 6'4, 209, but he may even be heavier than that. If he can show enough hockey sense to defend well enough at this level, he will be on the right track to becoming a bottom 4 NHL defender in the Ian Cole mold.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Raty is emerging as the class of the Abby team. Starting to control play and showing increasing ability to change gears and use a very good pivot to control middle of the ice. To me, just head and shoulders above the rest.

Seems to be on the wing (except for face offs) but still ends up mostly in middle of the ice. I see him playing center in the long run. Has size, vision and is starting to show much better wheels. There was time when he was looked on as maybe the best in his age class and that talent is beginning to show. Noted that he was on PP, PK and a lot 5 on 5.

Very encouraged by this player.

Some I thought looked good in this game included:

Gatcomb in the run of the play and on the PK. Also Glover showed good speed and forced the puck in the offensive end.

Irwin and Cicek. Irwin blocked a number of shots and cleared around net well. Cicak brought some heaviness to the defense and was effective both one on one and in breaking up odd man rushes.

Sassons - no where near as dominant as Raty but helped produce goals. Raty and him worked well together. Not sure he has the all round speed to move up to the next level.

Woo - playing with much more authority. Really stepped in physically to help team mates in this one. To me he is a little like Chatfield (who we just let get away). He has enough nose and skating to be effective in a lesser role. Not much offense but if he works away at playing generally error free hockey he might help Vancouver..

Sawchenko - looked solid. Best I've ever seen him. (and no one has seen him much)

Did not like:

Karlsson - PP play goal on a decent move and open netter but otherwise was never in play. Had the kind of game that if you are only looking at stat sheet. you say was good but if you watch him in the play you see little beside being a net presence. Transition play is not good.

Hirose - moved the puck okay but he really struggles around his net.

Stevens - did absolutely nothing all game. In the scrums and such he was in talking it up but in the play was a passenger. Noticed he is pretty much off the PK. (PK was good in this game)

Others

Lekkermaki - played infrequently and in very short shifts. Being nursed along. Showed some quick bursts and moved the puck fine on the PP when out on it. Got run (clear inference but no call in this poorly reffed League) but appeared unhurt. Team did step in some, but relying on playeers that fall short of providing the initimation factor. That's how it's been all year in Abby and lots of prospects have suffered as result.

Pettersson - thought he would look smaller among pros but doesn't. Could see in the long run that he might be a heavy hitter - he's going to have some real size. Played cautiously but did show good zip in his skating a couple of times moving the puck up to the blue line and dumping it in.

Good weekend for the team and some prospects are looking more credible.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That seems to be the book on Raty.....he dominated the Finnish Jr. Leagues as a 17-year old and was in the conversation as the first overall pick. Then in his draft year, playing in the pro Finnish Liga, his numbers fell off a cliff and he fell all the way to second round.

In his first full season in NA, split between Vancouver, New York Islanders, Bridgeport and the Abbotsford Canucks, his numbers were underwhelming. And he started slowly this season, but has come on like gangbusters from the midway mark on.

For whatever reason, when this player steps up a notch in leagues, he struggles initially. But eventually his talent shines through. Still think he's a lock to play in Vancouver--at the very least as a third line center.

Canuck scouts knew what they were doing when they held out for Raty in the Horvat trade.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Man, all of a sudden more prospects in Abbotsford than you can shake a stick at. D-Petey, Lekkerimaki, Mueller, Mynio - interesting times ahead.

I wonder if any of Raty, Karlsson, Sasson or Woo get looks with the big club before the end of the season. Is there still a cap on the number of recalls a team can make?
Yeah 2 more?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Man, all of a sudden more prospects in Abbotsford than you can shake a stick at. D-Petey, Lekkerimaki, Mueller, Mynio - interesting times ahead.

I wonder if any of Raty, Karlsson, Sasson or Woo get looks with the big club before the end of the season. Is there still a cap on the number of recalls a team can make?

mynio can't play in the AHL next year. he'll have to go back to seattle. he's probably just up with abby to practice with the team and spend time around them. i'd be surprised if he gets in any games

Reactions: Vector

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
mynio can't play in the AHL next year. he'll have to go back to seattle. he's probably just up with abby to practice with the team and spend time around them. i'd be surprised if he gets in any games
why? plenty of guys in his situation get into AHL games even if they're headed back to the CHL the following year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Seattle done as far as the WHL playoffs are concerned, I guess the Canucks brass figured Mynio could benefit practicing with the Abbotsford Canucks.

When your junior team is eliminated before the playoffs even start--it can be a long, long off-season. So practicing in Abbotsford will enable him to adjust to a higher tempo and test his skill-set against AHL pros.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
why? plenty of guys in his situation get into AHL games even if they're headed back to the CHL the following year.

Elias Pettersson finally got into a game after weeks of practicing. I don’t expect Mynio to get any actual time. Development philosophy is to let prospects bake and not put them situations until everyone is comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: quat and andora

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Elias Pettersson finally got into a game after weeks of practicing. I don’t expect Mynio to get any actual time. Development philosophy is to let prospects bake and not put them situations until everyone is comfortable.
Maybe, but he was coming from Europe, which is different. smaller rink, different style of play. It isn't unheard of for guys in Mynio's situation to play a game or a bunch of games in the AHL.

Feb 20, 2013

I can't imagine he is ready for the AHL level, especially given that he is an 180 lb 18 year old defenceman, so I would assume this is just to get some practice time in with the development coaches, but stranger things have happened. He is an intriguing prospect.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Max Sasson NHL ready? 37 pts in last 40 games. +17 on the season. Hasn't gone more than a game without recording a point since late November.
It isn't just the 39 points he has in 48 games. He actually missed 16 games with injury. If his scoring was pro-rated over a full season, he might well be in the top-10 of AHL scoring.

After Bains and maybe Hoglander, Sasson has improved more than any other prospect in Abbotsford. I think he'll get some NHL games next year for sure, and might even have a shot at making the parent Canucks out of training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad