Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How do you explain an ugly 7-3 loss in the first game of a back to back; followed by an 8-3 thrashing of the same team one night later?

Like Forest Gump's box of chocolates--you just never know what you're going to get with this Abbotsford Canuck team. They're a young team though, and I guess it just comes with the territory.

Raty with a blowout four point effort (2-2) in the first period alone. I think the kid is coming on. Still might be the hidden gem in the Horvat deal.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Raty with a blowout four point effort (2-2) in the first period alone. I think the kid is coming on. Still might be the hidden gem in the Horvat deal.

I think people often forget that Raty is only in his second AHL season. I don't even think next year is his "make-or-break" season. Park in him the AHL for another full year and let him cook.

I mean Hoglander is a full 2 years older than Raty and was doing a whole lot of nothing in the NHL at the same age.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think people often forget that Raty is only in his second AHL season. I don't even think next year is his "make-or-break" season. Park in him the AHL for another full year and let him cook.

I mean Hoglander is a full 2 years older than Raty and was doing a whole lot of nothing in the NHL at the same age.
And neither was Podkolzin......and he scored 14 goals in his rookie season in Vancouver.

Raty was a second round draft pick. And for that matter, so was Demko and Hoglander. A solid year or two in the minors is the norm for guys drafted outside the first round.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I know there is a lot of optimism about how good the AHL team is doing but TO had winning AHL team's for a decade and could barely make the playoffs. Sometimes players are just AHLer's.
Just can't take that step.
How many players that are in the AHL for 4 years ever become top players? Defence maybe but not forwards.
Most times it only takes 3 years to figure out.

There is always a bump in play from an AHL guy when he gets called up.
I really thought Bains would be better but he wasn't here long enough I guess. I only went by his AHL stats.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I know there is a lot of optimism about how good the AHL team is doing but TO had winning AHL team's for a decade and could barely make the playoffs. Sometimes players are just AHLer's.
Just can't take that step.
How many players that are in the AHL for 4 years ever become top players? Defence maybe but not forwards.
Most times it only takes 3 years to figure out.

There is always a bump in play from an AHL guy when he gets called up.
I really thought Bains would be better but he wasn't here long enough I guess. I only went by his AHL stats.

Who are you talking about here? None of the players you hope to be on the roster next year or the year after would have been in the AHL for 4 years?

Actual top players rarely play in the AHL or don't even complete a full season. Almost every Canucks prospect in the AHL profiles as a bottom-6 or pairing defenceman.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Age isn't the problem it's skating.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Age isn't the problem it's skating.
Maybe it's just a sense.....but Raty strikes me as the kind of player who will continuously improve as his pro career unfolds.

It does happen at times. I remember following Bo Horvat in his first training camp, and wondering if he'd ever be able to skate well enough to play the center position in the NHL. A decade later, and he's one of the most effective two-way centers in the league.

I'm hopeful Raty will hit the 20-goal mark and maybe 55 points this season.....which isn't bad for a kid who's still only 21 and playing in what is arguably the second-best pro league in the world.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird set of games with a blowout both ways.

The 7-3 loss wasn't nearly as bad of a performance as it looks - there was an EN goal and it was an absolutely awful performance from Tolopilo who let in 2-3 total stinker goals.

8-3 win the PP goes 5-5 out of nowhere after sitting at the bottom of the league all year.

- most significant thing is probably that Brisebois left the first game early and you have to suspect that his concussion symptoms returned after only 4 periods. Might be the end of his career.

- McWard was also injured in yesterday's game which opens up a spot for either Pettersson or the NCAA signing whose name I can't remember if he's out for any length of time.

- Tolopilo ... yuck. He's had some very good games and stretches this season but Saturday was horrible and he wasn't much better on Sunday and was lucky the team scored 8 goals for him as 2 of the 3 goals were really weak. Problem here is that he's already 24 and weekends like this do not indicate that he's close to the NHL.

- Raty is strong on the PP and probably should have played more minutes on the top unit all year. Nice performance for him although it comes with the caveat that he'd been pointless in 7 coming in. As @Vector noted, he's such a weird prospect and it's hard to figure out what he is exactly.

- nice to see the struggling Hirose finally pick up a couple points.

- Sawchenko exists! But you wonder if we'll ever see Klimovich in a game in North America again.

- McDonough is having a nice finish to the season with 7 points in the last 7 games, playing well with Bains. Is pretty much a total non-prospect but is at least showing he can be useful at this level, which hasn't been the case for most of the year.

- Cicek is playing a ton and playing well and starting to get a few points (6 in his last 9 games). Has been a godsend that they picked him up in the Studnicka deal as the blueline would have been paper-thin through the back half of the season without him.

- Tristan Nielsen has regressed from last year. The decision to give him an NHL contract looks like a mistake, albeit a small one. Any NHL potential there has left the building.

- as usual Gatcomb probably needs to play more.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Weird set of games with a blowout both ways.

The 7-3 loss wasn't nearly as bad of a performance as it looks - there was an EN goal and it was an absolutely awful performance from Tolopilo who let in 2-3 total stinker goals.

8-3 win the PP goes 5-5 out of nowhere after sitting at the bottom of the league all year.

- most significant thing is probably that Brisebois left the first game early and you have to suspect that his concussion symptoms returned after only 4 periods. Might be the end of his career.

- McWard was also injured in yesterday's game which opens up a spot for either Pettersson or the NCAA signing whose name I can't remember if he's out for any length of time.

- Tolopilo ... yuck. He's had some very good games and stretches this season but Saturday was horrible and he wasn't much better on Sunday and was lucky the team scored 8 goals for him as 2 of the 3 goals were really weak. Problem here is that he's already 24 and weekends like this do not indicate that he's close to the NHL.

- Raty is strong on the PP and probably should have played more minutes on the top unit all year. Nice performance for him although it comes with the caveat that he'd been pointless in 7 coming in. As @Vector noted, he's such a weird prospect and it's hard to figure out what he is exactly.

- nice to see the struggling Hirose finally pick up a couple points.

- Sawchenko exists! But you wonder if we'll ever see Klimovich in a game in North America again.

- McDonough is having a nice finish to the season with 7 points in the last 7 games, playing well with Bains. Is pretty much a total non-prospect but is at least showing he can be useful at this level, which hasn't been the case for most of the year.

- Cicek is playing a ton and playing well and starting to get a few points (6 in his last 9 games). Has been a godsend that they picked him up in the Studnicka deal as the blueline would have been paper-thin through the back half of the season without him.

- Tristan Nielsen has regressed from last year. The decision to give him an NHL contract looks like a mistake, albeit a small one. Any NHL potential there has left the building.

- as usual Gatcomb probably needs to play more.
Years from now that NCAA guy will be referred to (rarely) as that NCAA guy.

That's terrible news for Brisebois. I was thinking they wouldn't play him the rest of the season: just easy practices, and another off-season. But who knows, maybe that wouldn't have made a difference.

Reactions: andora

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Christian Felton. He’d be a natural replacement for McWard since they are both RD. Pettersson has some experience on the right side, though. Dhaliwal said that Felton was about a week away and that was on the 15th. Canucks don’t play again until the upcoming Saturday so there’s a chance he gets the nod.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Injuries are really starting to bite the back-end in Abbotsford. If McWard and Brisebois are out, it really makes you wonder about the wisdom of trading Quinn Schmiemann.

You really have to feel for Brisebois. If he's out again with concussion issues, we might be dealing with a Michael Ferland situation here. Looking like D-Petey and/or Felton might get into the lineup by default.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Injuries are really starting to bite the back-end in Abbotsford. If McWard and Brisebois are out, it really makes you wonder about the wisdom of trading Quinn Schmiemann.

You really have to feel for Brisebois. If he's out again with concussion issues, we might be dealing with a Michael Ferland situation here. Looking like D-Petey and/or Felton might get into the lineup by default.
Yah - terrible news on Brisebois. Canucks seemed to think he was NHL capable and given the way they have developed Juulsens maybe he was.

On Neilsen - get the impression he is playing hurt and has been for most of the season. Like others on this team just beaten down.

Haven't kept track of all the injuries but doubt I've seen any team sustain this many. Good question might be who hasn't been hurt?

That's why I fear putting Lekkermaki or even EP 2 into this situation.

Reactions: Jay26 and arttk

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yah - terrible news on Brisebois. Canucks seemed to think he was NHL capable and given the way they have developed Juulsens maybe he was.

On Neilsen - get the impression he is playing hurt and has been for most of the season. Like others on this team just beaten down.

Haven't kept track of all the injuries but doubt I've seen any team sustain this many. Good question might be who hasn't been hurt?

That's why I fear putting Lekkermaki or even EP 2 into this situation.
Brisebois was badly concussed by Brandon Tanev IIRC during the final minutes of play in pre season. I don’t know how he wasn’t suspended for that. Garbage player.

Brisebois has had a ton of concussion/injury issues and it sucks he was a victim of a predatory hit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brisebois is back for Abbotsford today and McWard out so no debut for either Pettersson or NCAA guy.

I'm guessing Brisebois had some sort of other injury? Because if he missed the last 1.5 games with more concussion symptoms and is then right back in ... concerning. But of course it's the AHL and injury reporting so we'll never know.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Did a bit of a preview for Abbotsford's weekend games, thought I'd evaluate how the club is doing at 5-on-5 when the games are tied (since so many of Abbotsford's games go haywire in the goalscoring department either for or against)

Also looked at how players did at 5-on-5 during the 2023 portion of the schedule compared to now. One player's numbers have improved dramatically, while others have not.

Anyways, the Canucks just gave up a power play goal to the sixth worst power play in the AHL...so that's how this one's going

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Brisebois is back for Abbotsford today and McWard out so no debut for either Pettersson or NCAA guy.

I'm guessing Brisebois had some sort of other injury? Because if he missed the last 1.5 games with more concussion symptoms and is then right back in ... concerning. But of course it's the AHL and injury reporting so we'll never know.
The Birisebois return is just great news. Who knows, maybe he'll have a full recovery and even play some games for the big team later in the playoffs. But simply staying healthy between now and the season's end would be a terrific result.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Did a bit of a preview for Abbotsford's weekend games, thought I'd evaluate how the club is doing at 5-on-5 when the games are tied (since so many of Abbotsford's games go haywire in the goalscoring department either for or against)

Also looked at how players did at 5-on-5 during the 2023 portion of the schedule compared to now. One player's numbers have improved dramatically, while others have not.

Anyways, the Canucks just gave up a power play goal to the sixth worst power play in the AHL...so that's how this one's going

Interesting article! (And Happy Birthday Filip Johansson, who turns 24 today.)

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abbotsford lost 3-2 in Winnipeg and were outshot 45-12. Tolopilo had the net (and was named second star).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I realize that success with your AHL team is based mostly on how many players you can graduate to the big club. So from that standpoint, it's good that Raty, Sasson and Karlsson are still picking up points.

As for the rest of this afternoon's game, it's pretty hard to see this Abbotsford team doing much when the playoffs get going. Even with a 45 save performance from Tolopilo, the Canucks still couldn't bail him out.

A brain-dead slashing penalty on John Stevens past the half-way mark of the third period was the difference. This, after Tolopilo had made at least four or five remarkable saves to keep the score tied at 2-2. When your veterans are taking dumb penalties, it's pretty hard to win. But getting outshot 45-12 won't cut it either.

Still no sign of D-Petey in the lineup. What are they waiting for? These games are essentially 'garbage time' for a team locked into a playoff spot, but not really going anywhere. And based on this afternoon's game, how much worse can it be if he is in the lineup?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I realize that success with your AHL team is based mostly on how many players you can graduate to the big club. So from that standpoint, it's good that Raty, Sasson and Karlsson are still picking up points.

As for the rest of this afternoon's game, it's pretty hard to see this Abbotsford team doing much when the playoffs get going. Even with a 45 save performance from Tolopilo, the Canucks still couldn't bail him out.

A brain-dead slashing penalty on John Stevens past the half-way mark of the third period was the difference. This, after Tolopilo had made at least four or five remarkable saves to keep the score tied at 2-2. When your veterans are taking dumb penalties, it's pretty hard to win. But getting outshot 45-12 won't cut it either.

Still no sign of D-Petey in the lineup. What are they waiting for? These games are essentially 'garbage time' for a team locked into a playoff spot, but not really going anywhere. And based on this afternoon's game, how much worse can it be if he is in the lineup?
It is about if pettersson is ready not the lineup or games

It speaks to responsible development and being accountable to your own philosophy

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Travis Green back as coach again?
Nah, Green is interim head coach of the NJ Hughes Brothers which started 2-5 after the coaching change but have beaten the Penguins and Jets by a combined score of 9-3 in its last two games.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

If they don't think he's ready I don't see any reason to throw him into the tire fire. He's essentially making a jump from an ECHL calibre league to a league which has a smaller ice surface and different tsyle of play than he's used to and is about as deep as the European Elite leagues though without the same top end. If the team decides it is best for him to play, fine, if not, it is also fine. It won't hurt him any. Between the WJC and the Allsvenskan, he's had a reasonable amount of development time this season even if he just practises and watches the rest of the way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can scrimmage and practice until the cows come home, but you can't figure out how 'close' a guy is, until he actually plays.

I mean if Abbotsford was fighting tooth and nail to get into the playoffs, then I can understand going with a more conservative lineup. But these final 10 games or so don't really matter a damn.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You can scrimmage and practice until the cows come home, but you can't figure out how 'close' a guy is, until he actually plays.

I mean if Abbotsford was fighting tooth and nail to get into the playoffs, then I can understand going with a more conservative lineup. But these final 10 games or so don't really matter a damn.
What’s the damn rush? If he’s not ready then he’s not ready. Maybe he’s there just to get exposure and we won’t see him until next season which is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00