Post-Game Talk: #8 | Oilers 1 at FLYERS 2| Sat. Oct. 21, 1:00 pm ET

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
143_TOB_Bulliet_Glass.jpg

The obligatory post-game thread though belated.

Post-game info: https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/postgame-5-flyers-drop-oilers/c-292157254'
Game summary -- http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/GS020111.HTM
Event summary -- http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/ES020111.HTM
Roster report -- http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/RO020111.HTM
Condensed game --

Video of winning goal --

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, who was to blame this game?
MacDonald and his six block shots, obviously he was too slow and allowed opposing players to get shots off.
Lehtera to Filppula to Simmonds, sure took their time to finally make a play.

Elliott had a solid but not great game, the goal by Maroon was really soft, though Ghost and Patrick have their share of blame for that one.

Hagg looks better each game, Sanheim is settling in and notice he and Gudas are getting more minutes.

Flyers were up and down, if Voracek could shoot he'd be a candidate for MVP.
Ghost is making plays but not finishing.
Couts had an off game, struggled in his D-zone at times.
Raffl needs to be on the 4th line, speed, hustle but no offensive skills, the things you didn't like when he was on the 1st line haven't changed.
If Laughton could pass he'd be dangerous. But he did help to contain McDavid.
Lehtera, Weise and Read aren't great players, but they're better than Cousins, VdV, PEB, Luby and Gordon.

This team is a work in progress, but they've had a tough schedule and held their own.
Clearly a better team than last season, but a long way to go.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So, who was to blame this game?
MacDonald and his six block shots, obviously he was too slow and allowed opposing players to get shots off.
Lehtera to Filppula to Simmonds, sure took their time to finally make a play.

Elliott had a solid but not great game, the goal by Maroon was really soft, though Ghost and Patrick have their share of blame for that one.

Hagg looks better each game, Sanheim is settling in and notice he and Gudas are getting more minutes.

Flyers were up and down, if Voracek could shoot he'd be a candidate for MVP.
Ghost is making plays but not finishing.
Couts had an off game, struggled in his D-zone at times.
Raffl needs to be on the 4th line, speed, hustle but no offensive skills, the things you didn't like when he was on the 1st line haven't changed.
If Laughton could pass he'd be dangerous. But he did help to contain McDavid.
Lehtera, Weise and Read aren't great players, but they're better than Cousins, VdV, PEB, Luby and Gordon.

This team is a work in progress, but they've had a tough schedule and held their own.
Clearly a better team than last season, but a long way to go.

You mention Ghost and Patrick to take blame on the goal. Where is the mention of Hagg who Maroon sidestepped to get the shot and score? He was the one in position to stop Maroon after Patrick giveaway, but didn't. Soft goal for Elliot to give up though.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You mention Ghost and Patrick to take blame on the goal. Where is the mention of Hagg who Maroon sidestepped to get the shot and score? He was the one in position to stop Maroon after Patrick giveaway, but didn't. Soft goal for Elliot to give up though.

I'm trying to figure out where Ghost was to blame for that goal. He wasn't even involved in that play's breakdown. He was on the right side defending any backdoor plays. But maybe if he was bigger he could've covered Hagg's side AND his side.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
The thoughts ; [I was there again today]

1) The guy sitting behind me has a hard on for hating Voracek as much as 90% of the fan base does. I thought there was going to be a fight from the guy in front of me and the guy behind me. The guy behind me also had no clue who "Lethoraaaaaa" was but he was a mutant.

2) The "we want morin" chant was slightly funny, but poorly timed[it was after Farmer blocked the shot and struggled to move]

3) Neck was fabulous in the first, didn't realize much after that though.

4) Giroux had a f***ing game.

5) Ghost is growing, game by game. It's something I'm loving and I agree with people saying I'd love to see Ghost and Provocop together as a pairing, even if Hagg / Ghost has looked wonderful.

6) I don't think Elliot looked awful, sans the goal he gave up.

7) I don't think the defense looked terrible, I think as long as we can we should keep the same 6 going.

8) I don't get why the trend of booing star players is continuing, but it's silly in my view.

9) I'll take the win, although it was a sloppy one.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm trying to figure out where Ghost was to blame for that goal. He wasn't even involved in that play's breakdown. He was on the right side defending any backdoor plays. But maybe if he was bigger he could've covered Hagg's side AND his side.

10 seconds earlier, Ghost and Maroon come together near the side slot and the puck goes behind the net where another Flyer joins them but Maroon still gets the puck out in a pass that gets deflected then out near the blue line where there is the shot on net and then the puck goes into the corner where Patrick gets out worked and Hagg got danced then Elliot let in the softie. Phew...long f***ing sequence. Yeah...Ghosts fault.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He was responsible for the turnover that led to the sequence that led to the goal.
Ghost is still too sloppy at the blue line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He was responsible for the turnover that led to the sequence that led to the goal.
Lol....if that was Ghost that got walked like Hagg did, you would be going on about how he is still poor defensively and soft. But no, it happened to Hagg who the coach likes, so no mention of it.

Never change.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost would never make that play, because he's allergic to the boards and the corners. :naughty:

My problem with Ghost is on O-zone entries, he tries to force things when he should just dump it in, it's not about being conservative but recognizing when you don't have a clean entry, don't get stripped of the puck. These consistently result in breakaways and pressure in our D-zone. He can't get bigger, he can get smarter.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ghost would never make that play, because he's allergic to the boards and the corners. :naughty:

My problem with Ghost is on O-zone entries, he tries to force things when he should just dump it in, it's not about being conservative but recognizing when you don't have a clean entry, don't get stripped of the puck. These consistently result in breakaways and pressure in our D-zone. He can't get bigger, he can get smarter.

page-image-9617-9d36a7ba-5c7e-4012-99ea-1db92fc7ddfd.gif

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
With all the plays he makes that gets the puck out of the zone, clean up and create offensive, this is the focus? Try harder because that is ridiculous. No perfect games are played.

Reactions: kelmitchell

hayen

Apr 7, 2017

What game are you watching?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Fantastic to grind that out, I had no confidence we’d go on to score.

We held McDavid pointless.
Ghost is improving every game, he looks truly dynamic
Hagg is a 10 year vet
Giroux is back

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Flyers did a great job of staying focused in a very tight-checking game. All of the players, that was hard work, every shift.

Even when they lost their way, they only bent, they didn't break, there should be some good team vibes coming out of this effort, plus the previous close game against the Preds.

The GWG came out of nowhere, and was reminiscent of their more freewheeling play of earlier games. Very happy to see them stay dug in and not give anything away, but still figure out how to both attempt and convert a tricky and skillful offensive play into the winning goal.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
That goal is on Elliot. It's pretty ****ing simple.

I doubt his teammates would agree. I think every Flyer player on the ice wishes he had done better on that shit-show of a play, any of them could have shut it down so easily with a bit more focus.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

You spew the same shit over and over. Where are all these breakaways against us due to Ghost's turnovers...lol.

Like I said never change.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
The stop at the red line and drop it to an O man to bring it in on a corner was/is often to predictable. They get trapped and stopped. The throwing in deep often works but also becomes predictable. If the D keeps backing up or leaves a seam, having a guy like Gostisbehere to carry it in is a less predictable look and keeps them guessing because the assortment of options makes the Flyers less predictable. (Something like that):thumbu:
I like the changing it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad