Post-Game Talk: #8 | Oilers 1 at FLYERS 2| Sat. Oct. 21, 1:00 pm ET

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
finding ways to win a game where you obviously arent at your best is a sign that this is a good team. A playoff team? who knows. but this group is better than the team we iced last year.

Did you get to catch the last 2 periods after work at all? Because if you didn't, and were thinking about it, I wanted to warn you that it makes for some occasionally grim viewing. It was really, REALLY sloppy and chaotic for long-ish stretches.

Reactions: kelmitchell

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Did you get to catch the last 2 periods after work at all? Because if you didn't, and were thinking about it, I wanted to warn you that it makes for some occasionally grim viewing. It was really, REALLY sloppy and chaotic for long-ish stretches.

no but i listened to a majority of it on the radio on the way to work. JJ and Coatsey said the same thing. shots were close but it really didnt feel like it.
think there was like 5 or 6 minutes left when i turned the radio off and went to work.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What's the deal with the injured? To replace them with washed up slow old vets is not nice to see.

I thought the D was good today. Elliot was ok. We missed the speed game and the drive a bit. You have to be happy to get a win in this one. Makes Nashville slightly better.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
finding ways to win a game where you obviously arent at your best is a sign that this is a good team. A playoff team? who knows. but this group is better than the team we iced last year.
Our PDO is definitely higher and I'm confident in saying it's not a coincidence. Nothing like watching last years d talent sniping away from the blueline.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Some random observations:

Sanheim looked overwhelmed in a tight cheking game like this, if he can't use his skating to his advantage he is running out of options and his passing was very sloppy.
Weal appears to be the motor of the 2nd line - they are lacking creativity without him.
Our best players keep on leading the pack in close game situations, which is a really good sign.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I don't like Andy Mac, or believe he should even be on the team. But he showed some damn great heart after getting hobbled on the PK. That's put him up 10 notches in my book. What an effort.
I don't like Andy Mac, or believe he should even be on the team. But he showed some damn great heart after getting hobbled on the PK. That's put him up 10 notches in my book. What an effort.
The players apparently like the farmer in the room, and after seeing that effort after being hurt on that play I can see why.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
So, who was to blame this game?
MacDonald and his six block shots, obviously he was too slow and allowed opposing players to get shots off.
Lehtera to Filppula to Simmonds, sure took their time to finally make a play.

Elliott had a solid but not great game, the goal by Maroon was really soft, though Ghost and Patrick have their share of blame for that one.

Hagg looks better each game, Sanheim is settling in and notice he and Gudas are getting more minutes.

Flyers were up and down, if Voracek could shoot he'd be a candidate for MVP.
Ghost is making plays but not finishing.
Couts had an off game, struggled in his D-zone at times.
Raffl needs to be on the 4th line, speed, hustle but no offensive skills, the things you didn't like when he was on the 1st line haven't changed.
If Laughton could pass he'd be dangerous. But he did help to contain McDavid.
Lehtera, Weise and Read aren't great players, but they're better than Cousins, VdV, PEB, Luby and Gordon.

This team is a work in progress, but they've had a tough schedule and held their own.
Clearly a better team than last season, but a long way to go.
I'm just so glad that I can tune in and watch these games on-line, and not watch Mason anymore!

Reactions: kelmitchell

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Some random observations:

Sanheim looked overwhelmed in a tight cheking game like this, if he can't use his skating to his advantage he is running out of options and his passing was very sloppy.
Weal appears to be the motor of the 2nd line - they are lacking creativity without him.
Our best players keep on leading the pack in close game situations, which is a really good sign.
That was Sanheims best game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What game are you watching?

Every game. It's Ghost's biggest flaw right now, being responsible with the puck.

He'll always have a high rate of giveaways because he plays an aggressive game, but he just has to cut back on the dangerous ones.

A forward can be more aggressive in an O-zone entry b/c he usually has a D-man or two behind him, when a D-man attacks the zone, he has to know if he has anyone behind him, and if not, be more conservative with the puck.

This is what Hakstol means when he says he wants the D-men to jump into the play, but not lead the rush into the O-zone. If you're leading the rush, who's behind you?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I've noticed a lot of sloppy ice early in the season, pucks bouncing over sticks, etc.
Makes it hard to make clean plays.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That was Sanheims best game.

I thought he played another solid game, but Sanheim will have a little trouble with tight checking and physical games the next few years until he fills out. He's tall but lean, and not exceptionally strong. As he physically matures, this should be less of an issue.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Every game. It's Ghost's biggest flaw right now, being responsible with the puck.

He'll always have a high rate of giveaways because he plays an aggressive game, but he just has to cut back on the dangerous ones.

A forward can be more aggressive in an O-zone entry b/c he usually has a D-man or two behind him, when a D-man attacks the zone, he has to know if he has anyone behind him, and if not, be more conservative with the puck.

This is what Hakstol means when he says he wants the D-men to jump into the play, but not lead the rush into the O-zone. If you're leading the rush, who's behind you?

A forward is behind you.

Ghost played probably 99.9% perfect game yesterday and we have post like this in here.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Hopefully a forward who has rotated back.

The rest of your post is horse shit. Ghost has 7 giveaways so far this year. Less than the likes of Burns, McDonagh, Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Hedman, Doughty, and Subban.

Last year he wasn't even in the top twenty in giveaways for defensemen.

demarco46

Orange & Black
Sep 12, 2009
Little off topic... just realized Neuvirth is league leader at the moment for GAA and Save Percentage. Honestly, even though the season's just begun... feels good to say that.

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
He was responsible for the turnover that led to the sequence that led to the goal.
Ghost is still too sloppy at the blue line.

Yeah good thing he's one of the better offensive defensemen in the league, which makes it a lot easier to overlook his defensive shortcomings.

I mean, did anybody think he was going to be a Chris Pronger on defense when he came out of Union? The story was that he was a dynamic skater and playmaker who could make some plays in the defensive zone with his active stick, but wouldn't be great muscling up against bigger forwards. Lo and behold, that's what he is in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Little off topic... just realized Neuvirth is league leader at the moment for GAA and Save Percentage. Honestly, even though the season's just begun... feels good to say that.

It's tempting to ride him, but his track record suggests you don't want to start him more than 40 games or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad