Post-Game Talk: #73 | Capitals 3 at FLYERS 6 | Sun., Mar. 18, 2018, 5:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, it still comes down to the goalie play, all this nonsense about the "right lineup," Mrazek didn't lay an egg and they won, Lyon did a solid job and they won. All the hot teams chasing us have goalies posting .928% save percentages. They were winning with Elliott and Neuvirth playing mediocre.

The big problem getting the puck out of the D-zone was again, not the outlet passes but losing battles along the board.

Sanheim looks a lot better, but he needs to add strength. Patrick needs to add strength. Read is too small and lacks the speed he had three years ago. Konency is fiesty but small. Weal is crafty but small. And so on.

They won this on guts and grit, but the flaws remain, and playing Read over Weise and Weal over Lehtera had no real impact.
They need NAK and Morin next year, hopefully Myers, Frost and Voroybev, and a trade for a young, fast, gritty forward or two.
More size and speed, and better goalie player to get to the next level.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I can't decide if the incoming wronghead essays on Sanheim finally listening to the coaching while simultaneously making up shit about Sanheim's game in a lame attempt to have it both ways are something to look forward to or dread with every fiber of my being. Or both.

I'm hoping Beef is right and Hak just finally figured out the right move 20-30 games behind schedule like always. He could f***ing patent it. A-Mac actually looks decent with Sanheim btw (and what are we calling Sanheim anyway? Sandy? Heimer? TS? Inquiring minds want to know.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
IMG_20180318_205925.jpg

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
That was one of the best efforts from the Flyers in awhile. It was amazing watching the puck get moved out of our zone in a more consistent manner. It's amazing Manning wasn't in the line up and our D zone and O zone pressure looked better, must just be a coincidence. Every one played well except for that 2-1 in the third. Horrible pinch by Gudas and Mac must have taught Hagg to defend it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's be honest, it was a good game by the Flyers, but the Caps aren't a great road team and were pretty flat and without their 1C.
Flyers did what they had to do, but they're not at the same level of the Caps right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So it doesn’t matter which scrubs are on the ice just as long as the goalie plays good, ok got it

So it doesn’t matter who is on the ice just as long as the goalie plays good, ok got it

Corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
When this is the lineup, I can't even get angry if they lose.

It was very nice to be able to watch what we would consider, for the most part, the optimal lineup for once.
exactly right...win or lose the narrative doesnt change...just put the team that gives us best chance to win on the ice. macdonald the t/o machine is next anchor we gotta toss...

have to admit tho im still frustrated...it only proves hak has singlehandedly hamstrung this team...the video where hes telling fans basically to fuk off..."i know what macdonald brings...i study it" "i dont care what social media says" driven us to edge with his dumb stubborn shit.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
As far a slapshots, both the Ghost and Hagg shots had one thing in common, no long windup and hesitation, perfectly timed so when the puck arrived, so did their stick blade - giving the defense no time to read and react.

It was as if when the pass came to them, they converted the pass into a slapshot all at one time.

Maybe we could invent a term for that. It could be a whole new strategy for how to get off quick slapshots.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just finishing the last few seconds of the game now, because of the schedule Gary Bettman created, and catching up on the GDT, and I just want to say that I agree with WHOEVER was suggesting that the problems on this team begin and end with Sean Couturier. Not only is he just terrible as a 1C, which is a joke, and not only is he lucky to have any points, he's lucky to even be in the NHL at all. Not only is he not a 1C, he's barely a 4C in a perfect world. Did you see that empty-net chance he had and flubbed? He's just the worst. I don't know who has been on the case, but WHOEVER has been saying that he is terrible is absolutely right and very, very smart.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Also, I'd like everyone to file this performance away and the next time you think of saying something to the effect of "Wes McCauley is actually a good referee," have a word with yourself. This ass clown has plenty of Canadian stage presence, but he's beyond terrible at the job he is actually being paid to do. And this is not sarcasm, lest ye be confused by my earlier tone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad