Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ekholm is officially this deadline season's most overrated player on the rumors board.
He's anything but overrated. Ekholm is a #1 D that has been behind 2 Norris caliber Dmen his entire career. Even with that when we were making our run his pairing, not Josi/Ellis was the one playing against the other teams top line.

His offensive production has always been sort of neutered because of Weber, Josi, and Ellis being ahead of him on the PP. He has normally been asked to play more of a shutdown role as well.

He has basically proven my point in the last 2 weeks with Josi and Ellis being out. He is currently our #1 playing with a rookie in Carrier and if anything has raised his level of play.

Absolutely no one will be disappointed in what they get from Ekholm.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He's anything but overrated. Ekholm is a #1 D that has been behind 2 Norris caliber Dmen his entire career. Even with that when we were making our run his pairing, not Josi/Ellis was the one playing against the other teams top line.

His offensive production has always been sort of neutered because of Weber, Josi, and Ellis being ahead of him on the PP. He has normally been asked to play more of a shutdown role as well.

He has basically proven my point in the last 2 weeks with Josi and Ellis being out. He is currently our #1 playing with a rookie in Carrier and if anything has raised his level of play.

Does he play right side too ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

I agree . He’s solid at both ends . 1st 2021 , 3rd 2021 , tuch and chariot ( cap purposes) . Can be tweaked . Make it a second instead of a third .

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
As a long time Leafs fan

for a 50% retained Ekholm i'd offer Amirov , 2021 1rst and a B prospect

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I agree . He’s solid at both ends . 1st 2021 , 3rd 2021 , tuch and chariot ( cap purposes) . Can be tweaked . Make it a second instead of a third .
I have the strange feeling the main hold up is Poile is wanting 2022 picks. He's publicly stated he doesn't like 2021 because they haven't had the scouting they normally have.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
In regards to the leafs I think the max they can offer is a 2022 1st (top ten protected) Amirov, and a b prospect as the poster above stated, for Ekholm at 50% retention. If that offer gets outbid well then the other team just needs him more.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Friedman hinted MTL has Ekholm for Caufield
Lol, there's no way the cap strapped Habs that need goalscoring trade a goalscoring phenom that is NHL ready for a soon to be UFA. That being said, with Harris wanting to stay in Northeastern, I could see him being available in a potential Ekholm trade.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Friedman hinted MTL has Ekholm for Caufield

You're probably going to want to link that before Habs fans start burning the place down.

If Bergevin did this, he would have to go into the Witness Protection Program cuz Habs fans would come out of the woodwork to flay him alive...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Lol, there's no way the cap strapped Habs that need goalscoring trade a goalscoring phenom that is NHL ready for a soon to be UFA. That being said, with Harris wanting to stay in Northeastern, I could see him being available in a potential Ekholm trade.

You DO realize Ekholm 50% fits MTL's cap.

upload_2021-3-22_14-31-22.png

but if you want to throw in Harris from Poile's college, sure.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Caufield, Mete, Bryon
for
Ekholm (50%), Tomasino, Afanasyev

This was something I posted a week ago. I think the general consensus was that Pred's fan love Tomasino. Either way, if the rumor of Caufield and Ekholm is true, there would need to be additions to the deal

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
And then they have a gaping goalscoring hole to fill and scoring goals is the most difficult and coveted skill in hockey which will be costly. There's no way Caufield is getting traded for a 30 year old soon to be UFA.

Out of Droiun, Gally, Anderson and Toffoli, who are you kicking out of the top 6 to put Caufield in?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Out of Droiun, Gally, Anderson and Toffoli, who are you kicking out of the top 6 to put Caufield in?
You are allowed to have top 6 players outside the top 6. Sheltering Caufield and giving him a shit ton of PP time is what the Habs will likely do until Caufield shows he can handle tougher opposition. That's a future "problem".

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Habs lineup most likely would look like this if Caufield joins the team this year.

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Toffoli - KK - Caufield
Perry - Evans - Armia.

Extras:
Byron
Lehkonen

We don't really have a normal lineup with lines 1-4. More like 3 2nd lines and a 3rd line. In terms of quality of players. And the 3 2nd lines tend to have close to similar ice times. Special teams depending.

Reactions: Bloomberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad