Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He's anything but overrated. Ekholm is a #1 D that has been behind 2 Norris caliber Dmen his entire career. Even with that when we were making our run his pairing, not Josi/Ellis was the one playing against the other teams top line.

His offensive production has always been sort of neutered because of Weber, Josi, and Ellis being ahead of him on the PP. He has normally been asked to play more of a shutdown role as well.

He has basically proven my point in the last 2 weeks with Josi and Ellis being out. He is currently our #1 playing with a rookie in Carrier and if anything has raised his level of play.

Absolutely no one will be disappointed in what they get from Ekholm.
Stop, he's Jake Muzzin more or less.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's anything but overrated. Ekholm is a #1 D that has been behind 2 Norris caliber Dmen his entire career. Even with that when we were making our run his pairing, not Josi/Ellis was the one playing against the other teams top line.

His offensive production has always been sort of neutered because of Weber, Josi, and Ellis being ahead of him on the PP. He has normally been asked to play more of a shutdown role as well.

He has basically proven my point in the last 2 weeks with Josi and Ellis being out. He is currently our #1 playing with a rookie in Carrier and if anything has raised his level of play.

Absolutely no one will be disappointed in what they get from Ekholm.

I really want my team to get Ekholm.

To be its #2.

He is a #1 in that "sure he is probably top 30, but you aren't excited about him being your #1" kind of way.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

To be its #2.

He is a #1 in that "sure he is probably top 30, but you aren't excited about him being your #1" kind of way.

I'm surprised Boston hasn't already traded for him, once they let Krug and Chara go, Ekholm is who I figured would be their target. Perhaps Sweeney is more interested in scoring depth.

Reactions: veganbruin

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

To be its #2.

I think that's because he hasn't ever really been given the opportunity. I mean no doubt he isn't flashy, but he does have offensive potential there and the defensive game is already there. The 2 main reasons I really like him and have zero desire to see him moved is that the guy can play with just about anyone, and because of that he is awesome at sheltering and mentoring younger Dmen. I mean think about it, he has played the last several games as our #1 while his partner is Carrier, a rookie.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In this financial climate, how happy would the Preds' owners be to pay $3M of Ekholm's salary over the next couple of seasons to get a better prospect in the deal?

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I’m sure it’s been posted here but from Boston

1st + Vaakanainen (NHL ready, doesn’t need protection, his ceiling is Ekholm but he’s young and cheap) + Oscar Steen (jumping players in Boston’s forward depth chart)

I personally would not do it because I don’t think the Bruins are going anywhere this season but I think it’s fairly realistic.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not seeing the Jets being willing to outbid all other teams to get Ekholm........I suspect they target another player one level down from Ekholm or a guy who is UFA so cheaper.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I have the strange feeling the main hold up is Poile is wanting 2022 picks. He's publicly stated he doesn't like 2021 because they haven't had the scouting they normally have.
That makes a lot of sense . The whole idea I had was to trade him next year if it it didn’t work out or if he didn’t resign for say a first and third in a better draft . Couldn’t really lose and you get a top pair defender for this year’s playoffs at minimal risk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not seeing the Jets being willing to outbid all other teams to get Ekholm........I suspect they target another player one level down from Ekholm or a guy who is UFA so cheaper.
Funny, because they are the one team that could really benefit from him. I actually think they need two top 4 Dmen, but Eklholm would be a very nice start.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So, Savard essentially.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Funny, because they are the one team that could really benefit from him. I actually think they need two top 4 Dmen, but Eklholm would be a very nice start.

Virtually any team could benefit from Ekholm addition, but that doesn’t mean it would happen for various reasons. I think Chevy obviously would of enquired on the cost and walked away not wanting to pay that high of a price. He would then go to multi other teams who are selling or potentially selling if things don’t go well for them in the next “x” number of games. He will compare what they are offering & cost vs Ekholm cost and likely go the cheaper route IMO. Jets don’t necessarily want/need a guy with so much term so why pay that extra cost if you don’t want it.

So, Savard essentially.

Savard like sure, UFA and not big sexy name type of guy. A UFA guy of equal talent as a guy with 1.5 years term is going to be cheaper to get and if the Jets feel they have a in house solution ready next year no point paying for that extra year term.......and it sounds like they are thinking we have a in house solution next year.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Whoever trades for him needs to be somewhat comfortable they could resign him. That could be an issue for Winnipeg, because similar to Edmonton it's tough to get people to want to play in that city. Winnipeg doesn't have the prospect pool and cant keep trading away 1sts to get rentals that may or may not put them over the top. With that being said, they have as good a chance as anyone in the North this year so all the power to them if they push their chips all in.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Latest now is the Preds want three assets for him, 1st Rd pick, an elite prospect and a third asset that can take multi forms.........fairly confident to say the Jets pass on that and look for a UFA who would be much cheaper IMO. Let someone else pay that price.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Being that Nashville is back in the playoff race Ekholm is probably off the table now . I’d turn my direction I think to vatanen . Considerably cheaper I would think . Keep Harris to and hope he signs

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The irony is as a habs fan I am debating if we'll end the season strong or not. If we don't, I'd be selling Tatar and Danault and here we are linked to acquiring someone for a premium.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The irony is as a habs fan I am debating if we'll end the season strong or not. If we don't, I'd be selling Tatar and Danault and here we are linked to acquiring someone for a premium.
I understand what your saying but because Ekholm has the extra year , a lot of what we use to acquire him can be reacquired by trading him next year .
If things go great and Ekholm is a stud for us , we can resign him . If the team is eliminated in the first round or he does not resign we trade him next year to recover most of those assets

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00