Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Big, tough, mobile. The problem is he doesn’t handle the puck well and can make poor passes. And the issue with that is that 3 of Montreal’s top 4 are like that (Weber, Edmundson as well) and that’s a recipe for disaster.
But I think he would do well next to someone who handles most of the passing
Anyway he broke his hand and is out for weeks, he’s not getting traded anytime soon

Yeah, we wouldn't need him to handle the puck. That's starting to be a problem in our defense, everyone's a puck-moving defenseman and sometimes they forget to actually play defense. We could use a couple of guys like Chiarot in our defense.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I seem to be higher on Tuch than most people here. I watched a ton of BU games this year, and at least to me he looked good.

Still raw, but the tools are there for him to develop into a solid power forward in the NHL.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
No not at all, the leafs have fallen off a cliff as of late and that's why this is a good debate as to who is better. Early on it was the Leafs by far and currently its the Jets by far but if I look at all of the games I've seen I'd just give a slight edge to Toronto at the halfway point and I feel like most of that is bc of injury trouble to our goalies so I believe they will improve as their health does!
I appreciate you kindly disagreeing. Most people can't accept others having a different opinion on this site.
Sabres where on a roll to start last season. Does that mean we should accept that the team is actaully that one?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Sabres where on a roll to start last season. Does that mean we should accept that the team is actaully that one?
I would have believed them to be a top team if leading into the start of last year they had shown to be a competitive team in prior years like the Leafs have shown they can be in prior years leading into this one. I mean the first ~25 games this year we were great and a top 3 team and the last ~7 weve been bad and a bottom 10 team but it seems like most people on this website are convinced the Leafs are closer in real talent to the last ~7 games where I personally believe they're in a lull and have run into some hot goalies. I could be wrong it's all just personal observations to me.
Plus Buffalo needs to tear that place down they have had a stink on that franchise ever since that massive tank attempt for McD.

Reactions: Theodore450

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
True, but the leafs sure don't look it either?
A GM who has come out and admitted they need to do something before the deadline...that doesn't say alot for his current group, does it?

If anything thats Dubas being smart and trying to get a handle on the toronto media.

Its always been viewed as a vote of confidence if your GM is adding to the roster for a playoff run. Means they beleaf and have faith. Its not like a GM saying "the coach is not getting fired" lol

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Can’t see why we couldn’t go with Ekholm for 2001 1st , 2001 3rd , tuch and chariot (cap purposes) . Next year we trade Ekholm off for a first and third in 2022 or a first 2022 and prospect. Would this do it for Nashville ?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can’t see why we couldn’t go with Ekholm for 2001 1st , 2001 3rd , tuch and chariot (cap purposes) . Next year we trade Ekholm off for a first and third in 2022 or a first 2022 and prospect. Would this do it for Nashville ?
Wouldn't do it for me. It's still missing the main piece. But I think it's already settled now that the Preds aren't trading Ekholm, if they were even ever considering it before.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

If Ekholm is still worth a 1st and a 3rd/prospect next season then we should be getting rental value for him this season on top of that. Tuch and Chiarot are not that. Makes more sense for us to just hold Ekholm until next season. and get the picks in a better and more easily scouted draft in that case.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If Ekholm is still worth a 1st and a 3rd/prospect next season then we should be getting rental value for him this season on top of that. Tuch and Chiarot are not that. Makes more sense for us to just hold Ekholm until next season. and get the picks in a better and more easily scouted draft in that case.
Well a first , third , tuch and chariot isn’t bad . You hold onto him and maybe he gets injured and you get squat . As a pure rental next year your not getting that package .

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
A 1st, 3rd, Chiarot, and prospect like Tuch for Ekholm is a solid package. Comparable to first, Durzi, Grundstrom for a better but similar player in Muzzin. Typical Hfboards where people hem and haw over trade offers not being enough and then the player ends up actually being traded for less than they thought.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Well a first , third , tuch and chariot isn’t bad . You hold onto him and maybe he gets injured and you get squat . As a pure rental next year your not getting that package .
It's a very good offer and one that Nashville would likely accept in a heartbeat if they do intend to move him and it were offered. Not sure Chiarot would fit into their plans, but a 1st, 3rd, and Tuch is in the ballpark for Ekholm already. They could turn around and deal Chiarot for AT LEAST a 2nd at next year's deadline if they wanted to, possibly more than that. So on what planet is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and good prospect who was just drafted in the 2nd round not enough for a 30 year old Ekholm with 1 and a half years of term left.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's a very good offer and one that Nashville would likely accept in a heartbeat if they do intend to move him and it were offered. Not sure Chiarot would fit into their plans, but a 1st, 3rd, and Tuch is in the ballpark for Ekholm already. They could turn around and deal Chiarot for AT LEAST a 2nd at next year's deadline if they wanted to, possibly more than that. So on what planet is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and good prospect who was just drafted in the 2nd round not enough for a 30 year old Ekholm with 1 and a half years of term left.

In a world where he is still worth a 1st and a 3rd in a better draft in the offseason. I’m just commenting on the internal consistency of player value in trades. If Chiarot next offseason is worth at least a 2nd as a rental then Ekholm is worth at least a first. I know we assume injury risk as long as we keep Ekholm, but if he’s still worth a 1st next trade deadline then I’d rather keep him and take another shot at competing next year with hopefully a new coach. The deal proposed is at least close to fair value for Ekholm but the extra pieces aren’t worth more than another year of Ekholm to me.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Somehow i dont think MB will be willing to deal those assets. He will likely go after his usual 2 2nds bargins.
I agree with you 100 % . He won’t be doing that . It’s just with the extra year he can always recover a first and prospect next year . If Ekholm works out great and signs a contract similar to Petry’s , that would be ok to .
I really think the Habs could be a dark horse with someone like Ekholm in the mix . There’s no 3-3 overtime’s or shootouts in the playoffs. Our depth and 5-5 play would make us tough .
Ekholm would be great for Weber and really stabilize the backend . Weber can’t carry anyone anymore but Ekholm could carry him . If it doesn’t work and we’re not close to challenging, we trade Ekholm for a first and third next year in a deeper draft . Just seems like a no-brainer to me

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I would LOVE to have Ekholm on my leafs BUT the Preds ain't selling

they are in a PO race

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We have the 6th worst record in the league.

Yet we’re only six points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand (although Dallas is tied with us with four games in hand). I don’t think we should hold out hope because even if we squeak in we’re just going to get wrecked by whoever we play in the first round. Poile almost certainly will think we should compete for that spot though. Our fate should become more clear before the deadline however given our upcoming schedule.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I agree with you 100 % . He won’t be doing that . It’s just with the extra year he can always recover a first and prospect next year . If Ekholm works out great and signs a contract similar to Petry’s , that would be ok to .
I really think the Habs could be a dark horse with someone like Ekholm in the mix . There’s no 3-3 overtime’s or shootouts in the playoffs. Our depth and 5-5 play would make us tough .
Ekholm would be great for Weber and really stabilize the backend . Weber can’t carry anyone anymore but Ekholm could carry him . If it doesn’t work and we’re not close to challenging, we trade Ekholm for a first and third next year in a deeper draft . Just seems like a no-brainer to me

you know what, I forgot that he had another year on his deal. You have a few very good points....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad