Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Complete discussion from the 31 Thoughts Podcast (starting at 11:40)

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjNhqj9-LLvAhWpiOAKHQe2BaYQieUEegQICRAF&ep=6

Marek: "It wasn't that long ago that the Ottawa Senators were the kingmakers come trade deadline time. There was Karlsson, there was Stone, there was Duchene, they were the team that was going to decide where the balance of power changed in the NHL depending on who they shipped off. Is Nashville now that team? Is Nashville now in a situation where they're now saying, 'we have quality players here, we're probably going to end up going through a rebuild, if you want our guys, it's gonna cost you a lot, but we have the chance to make your team better. Are the Nashville Predators now the potential kingmakers in the NHL?"

Friedman: "I think so, because one of the questions I always ask is whether there is anybody new out there, are there any names out there on the trade block that I hadn't heard, and not everyone is gonna tell you, but you always try, and I still get the sense, and I heard this weekend, that the name that makes the most difference to teams that get him is Ekholm; he's the guy. He's the biggest name out there right now that I know of, and that people are willing to tell me, who's a difference maker.

"Now, they're looking for a Muzzin kind of package - two prospects and a 1st rounder. And someone is going to pay that. My question is who's it gonna be. Winnipeg I think is in, Boston is in, I've had some questions about whether or not Toronto is in. The thing with Toronto is, if you get him you got three lefties, Reilly, Muzzin, and Ekholm, what are you doing with that? How are you sorting that out? I've heard at times Montreal is in, but I've also had people tell me Montreal is not, so I don't know what to make of that. The other wild card there is Philly, and again I've had people tell me Philly is gonna say they're not gonna blow what it's gonna take to get Ekholm unless they can solve an expansion draft issue at the same time, and do they really think this is their year? I've had other people tell me Philly is gonna go for it anyway. Again, some people have pushed back on that."

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Mtl is definately in now. And of all those teams, the 1st pick coming from Mtl is probably the most interesting to the Preds. Habs also have the prospect pool to make it happen without having to much impact on depth. On top of that, they don't need to include a contract in the deal now that Chiarot is off the book.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
So... that means he’s going to Sneaky Lou on the Island?!

godfather_lou.jpg

Reactions: hn777 and Morrison

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Mtl is definately in now. And of all those teams, the 1st pick coming from Mtl is probably the most interesting to the Preds. Habs also have the prospect pool to make it happen without having to much impact on depth. On top of that, they don't need to include a contract in the deal now that Chiarot is off the book.

top 5 protected 1st + Struble/Harris + Poehling + roster player

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So... that means he’s going to Sneaky Lou on the Island?!

godfather_lou.jpg

I am not saying Ekholm wouldn't be an upgrade for our team but we really don't need top 2 defense, especially RHD(I believe Ekholm is RHD). We are better served trading for depth defense and center or a top end forward

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I am not saying Ekholm wouldn't be an upgrade for our team but we really don't need top 2 defense, especially RHD(I believe Ekholm is RHD). We are better served trading for depth defense and center or a top end forward

Ekholm is a left and for MTL fans, he HAS played with Weber.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Curious as to what the ask would be from Winnipeg. Lebrun mentioned that NSH front office has been discussing Niku. But who's the other prospect? As good as Ekholm is, Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg are likely off the table. Vesalainen maybe? Torgersson? Stanley?

21 1st rd, Niku and Vesalainen/Torgersson/Stanley - Jets probably

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

When his team is a contender, he always seems to sit in the weeds and at the last second pulls the ace out of his sleeve.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
No.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Is it wrong that I’m praying for the Jets to not acquire him? They are the best team in the North division and will do damage in the playoffs this year. The only weakness they have is on defence and truthfully, hasn’t been much of a weakness this year, unless Jets fans tell me otherwise?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Throwing in Poehling is probably not necessary.

It might be if you want to beat the other offers.

Curious as to what the ask would be from Winnipeg. Lebrun mentioned that NSH front office has been discussing Niku. But who's the other prospect? As good as Ekholm is, Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg are likely off the table. Vesalainen maybe? Torgersson? Stanley?

21 1st rd, Niku and Vesalainen/Torgersson/Stanley - Jets probably

Probably Niku and Appleton.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think the Habs are good enough to make this kind of move, they are 2-3 years away imo.

Yes it would be a huge upgrade on defense but this team is having so much trouble scoring goals outside of games vs the Nucks.

That said I do wonder if MB is feeling the heat since he's already fired 2 coaches and his contract is up in a little over 12 months from now. I hope he doesn't do something rash just to get into the playoffs.

Reactions: malcb33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad