Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I understand what your saying but because Ekholm has the extra year , a lot of what we use to acquire him can be reacquired by trading him next year .
If things go great and Ekholm is a stud for us , we can resign him . If the team is eliminated in the first round or he does not resign we trade him next year to recover most of those assets

Maybe, but I am thinking we'd lose out on trading Danault and Tatar.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Maybe, but I am thinking we'd lose out on trading Danault and Tatar.
That’s true . I’m thinking if we’re close to being a contender which I think we are , ekholm and another piece would greatly enhance our team . The reason I think we could be a dark horse is because we’re strong 5 on 5 and in the playoffs, there’s no 3-3 ‘s or shootouts . Our goaltending is very good , our defense with Ekholm would be great . Up front we have a lot of depth . By giving this team some more support we can determine if we’re close . If we find out we’re not close we resell Ekholm and a couple others next year to add to the solid young core . Tatar can be replaced in free agency. Danault will resign for less than he turned down .

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That’s true . I’m thinking if we’re close to being a contender which I think we are , ekholm and another piece would greatly enhance our team . The reason I think we could be a dark horse is because we’re strong 5 on 5 and in the playoffs, there’s no 3-3 ‘s or shootouts . Our goaltending is very good , our defense with Ekholm would be great . Up front we have a lot of depth . By giving this team some more support we can determine if we’re close . If we find out we’re not close we resell Ekholm and a couple others next year to add to the solid young core . Tatar can be replaced in free agency. Danault will resign for less than he turned down .

Depends on the players. Habs can be streaky but have been underperforming. I'd need to see flashes of consistent good play for me to feel like we're close.

Right now we're coming off a bad stretch so a lot left to see.

Ideally though, I'd rather a true offensive PMD on left side over anything.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Depends on the players. Habs can be streaky but have been underperforming. I'd need to see flashes of consistent good play for me to feel like we're close.

Right now we're coming off a bad stretch so a lot left to see.

Ideally though, I'd rather a true offensive PMD on left side over anything.
Good luck finding that .

I really thought we should have pursued Shea Theodore when he was with Anaheim . They had an abundance of defense and were faced with losing him in expansion. Now that he has exploded in Vegas they would never unload him . Very very few to be had .

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think you guys can forget about selling players at the deadline.

Danault will resign here and nobody will take Tatar. The only one I can see going is Armia. Maybe Lehkonen if we find a good deal.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
TSN/Lebrun said:
it appears Nashville Predators defenceman Mattias Ekholm won't come cheap if he's moved over the next three weeks.
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun said Tuesday the Predators are looking a for a three-asset package in return for the 30-year-old.

"And keeping with the Predators, obviously the big name on the Trade Bait List from the Predators remains Mattias Ekholm, the most talented defenceman on the market," LeBrun explained on Insider Trading. "And he doesn’t come cheap according to people around the league that I’ve talked to over the last couple of days. It is a three-asset ask to get in on the bidding for Ekholm, which is a first-round pick, an elite prospect and a third asset which can take on different forms.

Countdown to TradeCentre: Arizona Coyotes ready for change - TSN.ca

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I've said it before but with Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie I don't see how Ekholm fits in during the expansion draft

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I've said it before but with Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie I don't see how Ekholm fits in during the expansion draft
He doesn't. Though I guess if we exposed a new good D we might keep Holl. My best guess is we'll grab a Granlund type, a depth G and a depth D with playoff experience and call it a year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

JT/Matty/Willi/Mitch,,,,,, protected
Rielz/Muzz/Brod/Ekholm,,,,,protected

Exposed,,,, Kerf,Engval,Holl,Derm,,,,,,3 of these 4 names are being exposed regardless IF we get Ekholm or not

The thing with the 7/3/1 ,,we really don't have 7 forwards worth saving

Reactions: wintersej

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I think you guys can forget about selling players at the deadline.

Danault will resign here and nobody will take Tatar. The only one I can see going is Armia. Maybe Lehkonen if we find a good deal.
Sounds reasonable

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
JT/Matty/Willi/Mitch,,,,,, protected
Rielz/Muzz/Brod/Ekholm,,,,,protected

Exposed,,,, Kerf,Engval,Holl,Derm,,,,,,3 of these 4 names are being exposed regardless IF we get Ekholm or not

The thing with the 7/3/1 ,,we really don't have 7 forwards worth saving

This is true, and the Leafs can lose only one of those. Holl would hurt because it could leave the right side at least temporarily weak - Liljegren, are you ready? - but not a crippling loss.

If it weren't for Muzz's NMC I would have thought it was *possible* he gets exposed over Holl, given that with Rielly/Ekholm/Dermott the left side would survive and Dermott is far cheaper than Jake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad