Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We have the 6th worst record in the league.
Hollow words in a season like this mate

The facts are,,just 6 back of CBJ with a game in hand BUT the kicker is the 4 point games between Dal/CBJ/Chi

Owners need to make the POs to make some money back and possibly being 4 points out of a spot,,is not a sellers position

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would LOVE to have Ekholm on my leafs BUT the Preds ain't selling

they are in a PO race
Well, we suck and aren't in any kind of playoff race. But it would be useful to us in this one instance if Poile was fooled into thinking so. There have been an awful lot of terrible terrible offers for Ekholm in these threads, and he's being massively undervalued by that whole Muzzin-trade narrative. So it would really be awful for the Preds to trade him at that kind of weak value. But if Poile can be fooled into thinking we're in a playoff race and that our hopes rest on Ekholm as our #1D, and he therefore doesn't trade him as a consequence... that's a plus to us.
:handclap:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

The facts are,,just 6 back of CBJ with a game in hand BUT the kicker is the 4 point games between Dal/CBJ/Chi

Owners need to make the POs to make some money back and possibly being 4 points out of a spot,,is not a sellers position

Also 6 points back of the Blackhawks and tied with the Stars except they have 4 games in hand. Even if we somehow manage to jump those 3 teams we just get destroyed by Tampa or Carolina, so no we’re not really in a playoff race.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I can see Philly being in on him, Ekholm would help that defense a lot.
Last little while seems to have shown that Philly is just too far off to pay the price, though. I think we were starting to listen at the 1st+Zamula+Frost threshold... but holy crap, if I'm Philly and the way they have been playing... there is NO WAY I pay that kind of price for Ekholm. Philly should be totally out of this trade afaic tell. This is a huge premium trade, but they just can't be that confident in paying that huge price??? :dunno:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If I’m Dubas, I make my best offer to Nashville and if not move on to other deals and get something done ASAP.

If Nashville wants to roll the dice for a better offer go for it. I don’t think there as many suitors as they think. Might be wrong too, but that’s how I would play it.

We need to do the deal to start the 14 day Q clock and leave time to adjust to the new team.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

2 more GF and 4 less GA than Detroit with 1 less GP is about as close to a seller's position as you could be without actually being Detroit.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I have no idea how closely Poile is holding himself to this, but he specifically said this current road trip is a good litmus test for what kind of team we are. We play Dallas in a couple hours as the last game of this road trip. It's conceivable something happens this week if he's not satisfied and this truly was a line in the sand date. I hope this isn't true, but a win tonight might keep Poile in the wait and see mindset just as likely.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Can’t see why we couldn’t go with Ekholm for 2001 1st , 2001 3rd , tuch and chariot (cap purposes) . Next year we trade Ekholm off for a first and third in 2022 or a first 2022 and prospect. Would this do it for Nashville ?

Why is Nashville accepting a 1st and 3rd from TWENTY YEARS AGO???

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Oof comparing Ekholm to Petry. To me Elholm is way closer to Weber with smoother skating
Oof? What the f is oof ? Ekholm put up 44 points behind josi just two years ago . His 36 assists screams puck moving defenseman. What little he lacks offensively to petry he makes up for defensively. He is also younger than petry with tons of grade A playoff experience. Whatever picks , prospects, players we use to acquire him can mostly be reacquired next year if they prove to be not close to contender status .

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Ekholm is a first pairing defenseman. He is playing on the first pair. He has played with first pairing partners for 4 years, last year excluded. He was part of the reason Subban worked here. He is nasty in the playoffs. He has just enough offensive acumen, and he has just enough grit and nastiness.

If you want to win in the playoffs, he is a fantastic acquisition. I do not want the Predators to trade him. He works hard every game, sticks up for his teammates, eats minutes, plays on PK and can play on the powerplay, and has gelled with all of his defensive partners.

Just my 2 cents.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Oof comparing Ekholm to Petry. To me Elholm is way closer to Weber with smoother skating
Oof? What the f is oof ? Ekholm put up 44 points behind josi just two years ago . His 36 assists screams puck moving defenseman. What little he lacks offensively to petry he makes up for defensively. He is also younger than petry with tons of grade A playoff experience. Whatever picks , prospects, players we use to acquire him can mostly be reacquired next year if they prove to be not close to contender status .
Ps If we with Ekholm in the mix get nowhere close than you would think it’s time to start leaning more towards a rebuild no ?

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Ekholm is a first pairing defenseman. He is playing on the first pair. He has played with first pairing partners for 4 years, last year excluded. He was part of the reason Subban worked here. He is nasty in the playoffs. He has just enough offensive acumen, and he has just enough grit and nastiness.

If you want to win in the playoffs, he is a fantastic acquisition. I do not want the Predators to trade him. He works hard every game, sticks up for his teammates, eats minutes, plays on PK and can play on the powerplay, and has gelled with all of his defensive partners.

Just my 2 cents.
I can’t blame you sir . It is for these reasons I’d give a left nut to get him . I really think the Habs are well built for playoff hockey and Ekholm could be a huge addition .

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
I’m just saying he’s not the #1D Petry is. Ekholm would fetch something around Muzzin it doesn’t mean he’s not good

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
Ps If we with Ekholm in the mix get nowhere close than you would think it’s time to start leaning more towards a rebuild no ?
I am not sure I’m following... i never said we shouldn’t go for gim I just said his playstyle is more of a Weber than a Petry

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I’m just saying he’s not the #1D Petry is. Ekholm would fetch something around Muzzin it doesn’t mean he’s not good
He’s much closer to petry than you think . If we don’t get close with him than we sell him next year . If he works out great ( and the Habs get close ) and resigns than Ekholm and petry each anchor one of our top 2 pairs for the next four to five years .

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last little while seems to have shown that Philly is just too far off to pay the price, though. I think we were starting to listen at the 1st+Zamula+Frost threshold... but holy crap, if I'm Philly and the way they have been playing... there is NO WAY I pay that kind of price for Ekholm. Philly should be totally out of this trade afaic tell. This is a huge premium trade, but they just can't be that confident in paying that huge price??? :dunno:
"starting to listen at the 1st+Zamula+Frost threshold"

Flyers are not offering the equivalent to 3 1st rounders for a 2 year guy that causes expansion issues.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Haha that’s an insane price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad