Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Jarventie is still a project while Peterka is well on his way to being an NHL regular. Don't see how you can say you'd rather have the former.
Take a look a Roope Hintz. There might be 20 guys in his draft that have played 100 more nhl games than him. 2015 was a superb draft but there's certainly not 20 guys that would go ahead of him in a redraft.

Jarventie is big and needs to figure out how to play with that big frame. This might be his first year where he's got the strength to go with the frame

I think he'll get nhl games this year

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Take a look a Roope Hintz. There might be 20 guys in his draft that have played 100 more nhl games than him. 2015 was a superb draft but there's certainly not 20 guys that would go ahead of him in a redraft.

Jarventie is big and needs to figure out how to play with that big frame. This might be his first year where he's got the strength to go with the frame

I think he'll get nhl games this year

As @bert mentioned this isn’t a fair comparison. They are very different players.

It’s also disingenuous to point to guys like Stone and Batherson and try to equate one project to another. Doesn’t really work that way.

Dude hasn’t busted yet. Hopefully there is something there.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As @bert mentioned this isn’t a fair comparison. They are very different players.

It’s also disingenuous to point to guys like Stone and Batherson and try to equate one project to another. Doesn’t really work that way.

Dude hasn’t busted yet. Hopefully there is something there.
They are different players but have similar size. Grow in late to your body....then you need to figure out how to play in the man body. It's a fair comparison to any tall gangly kid. Whatever they become in the nhl, they don't become it until they grow into their body. And @bert points this out all the time.

Don't think i mentioned Stone or Batherson

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
They are different players but have similar size. Grow in late to your body....then you need to figure out how to play in the man body. It's a fair comparison to any tall gangly kid. Whatever they become in the nhl, they don't become it until they grow into their body. And @bert points this out all the time.

Don't think i mentioned Stone or Batherson

Yeah different posters on the latter.

I think Hintz is just a way better skater and has way more intensity to his game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah different posters on the latter.

I think Hintz is just a way better skater and has way more intensity to his game.
Really NO comparison..
Check these 2015 Hintz highlights. These are pre 2015 Draft.

Size Speed Power Compete
Jarventie was much more of a one dimensional shooter/ good goal scorer at this stage of his development (Aug birthdate vs Hintz Nov Birthdate) .. DY-1 makes a difference.
I have no issues with Jarventies development .. I would like to see more compete shift to shift

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Really NO comparison..
Check these 2015 Hintz highlights. These are pre 2015 Draft.

Size Speed Power Compete
Jarventie was much more of a one dimensional shooter/ good goal scorer at this stage of his development (Aug birthdate vs Hintz Nov Birthdate) .. DY-1 makes a difference.
I have no issues with Jarventies development .. I would like to see more compete shift to shift

To say there is no comparison at all is a joke imo. Classic self defeatist Sens talk. And I'm not seeing how that video changes the reality that Hintz took several more years to realize that potential of his, or how Roby has arguably done more at the same age?

As you already said their birthdays make a difference in where they were at development wise pre and post draft. Hintz turned 21 a month into his first AHL season. Roby is still 20 for another few weeks....

And Roby just very recently bulked up in size and gained a pile of weight, whereas Hintz was already more filled out at the same age.

Point being is that everyone is completely different in their development. And you would not be ranking Hintz so far above Roby if you didnt have the power of hindsight and know that he was a future star in the making. If they were from the same draft, and all we had was their top performances from WJC and AHL debuts to go off of, then I highly doubt you would still say that these players are not comparable.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Too bad we didn’t pick hintz with the pick before he was selected. Took chlapik instead. Pretty dumb.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To say there is no comparison at all is a joke imo. Classic self defeatist Sens talk. And I'm not seeing how that video changes the reality that Hintz took several more years to realize that potential of his, or how Roby has arguably done more at the same age?

As you already said their birthdays make a difference in where they were at development wise pre and post draft. Hintz turned 21 a month into his first AHL season. Roby is still 20 for another few weeks....

And Roby just very recently bulked up in size and gained a pile of weight, whereas Hintz was already more filled out at the same age.

Point being is that everyone is completely different in their development.g. And you would not be ranking Hintz so far above Roby if you didnt have the power of hindsight and know that he was a future star in the makin If they were from the same draft, and all we had was their top performances from WJC and AHL debuts to go off of, then I highly doubt you would still say that these players are not comparable.
You know I am really fine with someone having a different opinion on the player and appreciate hearing it. I have watched both players and have liked both players from their pre draft years and followed their progression. I have my opinion and you have yours. I am not going to try to guess at how you formed yours. Try to leave your personal views out of it and discuss the player without calling saying its defeatist Sens talk or how I would have ranked them if this or that .. Tell us what you think about their similarities as players and how you think the two players are comparable.

Your response. This kind of crap makes this place toxic. I have never said any thing but players develop differently. There are also different types of players.. This is the case here imo. Both can be good. Was there any comparison between Messier and Gretzky. Not much they played different games and used their strengths differently. This is just an example of two different types of players. I have not gained any insight on your evaluation of the players here

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
33rd overall is pretty close to a first rounder I was hyped about in the first year post draft but he really withered. Still see some promise in him but I am sure not many teams if any will offer us a second round pick for him.

Withered? The guy is 20 y/o as we speak

His development has gone really well...

1) did well in Liiga vs men
2) wasn't ready for his first WJC but then came back strong and was really good in the 2nd
3) His AHL performance as a teenager is nothing to be ashamed of. The only problem is he missed half a season to injury. He had 16 goals 30 pts in 40 games, which is 33 goals 62 pts over a 82 games sample (the one we're used to). Not bad for a 20 y/o season

I 100% wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick. He's one of our last good prospects.

Greig
Kleven
Ostapchuk
Jarventie
Sogaard
JBD
Pettersson
Thomson
Merilainen
Donovan
Halliday
Sokolov
Crookshank
Then a bunch of unknowns

Heck, that triggered me wanting to do the prospect ranking

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011
Chlapik is a decent player.

Yeah I mean it didn't work out. But he had promise. that's all you can hope for with a draft pick. Sometimes promising ones don't turn out. There's a talent piece (which he had) and a development piece (which didn't happen as much as we hoped). It is what it is. Can't really complain about picks that do well at all levels but just don't translate to the NHL well.

Reactions: NyQuil

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Withered? The guy is 20 y/o as we speak

His development has gone really well...

1) did well in Liiga vs men
2) wasn't ready for his first WJC but then came back strong and was really good in the 2nd
3) His AHL performance as a teenager is nothing to be ashamed of. The only problem is he missed half a season to injury. He had 16 goals 30 pts in 40 games, which is 33 goals 62 pts over a 82 games sample (the one we're used to). Not bad for a 20 y/o season

I 100% wouldn;t trade him for a 2nd round pick. He's one of our last good prospects.

Greig
Kleven
Ostapchuk
Jarventie
Sogaard
JBD
Pettersson
Thomson
Merilainen
Donovan
Halliday
Sokolov
Crookshank
Then a bunch of unknowns

Heck, that triggered me wanting to do the prospect ranking
I put Boucher right after jarventie

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Carson Latimer 80 pts in 115 games in the WHL (0.70 PPG)
Tyler Boucher 31 pts in 45 games in the OHL (0.69 PPG)

Both from the same draft, we decided to not even bother signing Latimer...
You know as well as I do that you don’t/can’t just base decisions on point totals.
Not getting into a Boucher debate again till at least a year from now though ;)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You know as well as I do that you don’t/can’t just base decisions on point totals.
Not getting into a Boucher debate again till at least a year from now though ;)

I know but a NHL drafted prospect with such a poor junior production very rarely end up having a NHL career. You gotta hope that Boucher is one in a million case

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I know but a NHL drafted prospect with such a poor junior production very rarely end up having a NHL career. You gotta hope that Boucher is one in a million case
Injuries, suspensions, and moved leagues and countries.

There is a lot that went on beyond those numbers. Enough that we don’t need one in a million odds.

What we need is patience.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I worry about all the "no fire" talk. If you don't have that internal motor, you really don't have a chance to have a long career in the NHL these days. Jarventie needs to find that spark.

Reactions: Cosmix

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

There is a lot that went on beyond those numbers. Enough that we don’t need one in a million odds.

Check out tage Thompson and Tom Wilson junior numbers. Some guys need to cook

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thompson put up 32 points in the NCAA in his draft year, and 32 points in his D+1.

Wilson put up 75 points in 60 games as an 18 year old, and was in the NHL at 19.

Boucher is fine, relatively speaking, but neither guy above is a good reference point for Boucher’s numbers.

Josh Anderson put up Boucher like numbers, he’s the best guy we could look strictly comparing numbers with Boucher.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

We need to see him have a strong rookie camp and main camp then see him be consistent in the AHL (at least in the 2nd half).

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

You would have a point if Boucher was a physical freak like Thompson or Wilson.

He's not going to be able to dominate NHLers physically like those two because at 6'1 he's only average height.

He's been able to do it to junior players because he's a gym rat and is listed at over 200lbs, while most CHLers are still lanky and under-developed physically.

And despite having that kind of strength advantage he's put up Latimer-esque numbers.

I honestly wonder if it was even in our best interest to sign him. Could have gotten a compensatory 2nd round pick for letting him walk, but there was no chance Dorion and Mann were going to admit their massive ****up by doing that.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You would have a point if Boucher was a physical freak like Thompson or Wilson.

He's not going to be able to dominate NHLers physically like those two because at 6'1 he's only average height.

He's been able to do it to junior players because he's a gym rat and is listed at over 200lbs, while most CHLers are still lanky and under-developed physically.

And despite having that kind of strength advantage he's put up Latimer-esque numbers.

I honestly wonder if it was even in our best interest to sign him. Could have gotten a compensatory 2nd round pick for letting him walk, but there was no chance Dorion and Mann were going to admit their massive ****up by doing that.
Boucher has been signed since Dec 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad