Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Still think this kid can turn into a servicable 3rd line/middle 6 winger. I mentioned it before as did a few others, he was drafted as a long term project that had a very attractive tool set who could have a high upside if he manages to put it all together, but it required alot of effort on his side to make it happen.

One thing people forget was that we were really lacking a true trigger man type prospect in our talent pool, and I think that was his main attraction at the time when we selected him. His slapper and wrist shot was his biggest attributes, he has a shooters mentality and we really needed someone like that in our prospect depth. Coupled with his size of 6.2-6.3 (altho extremely slender at the time), good north-south skating, decent lateral movement/puck handling and passing/playmaking ability, and being one of the youngest players of his draft class, we targeted him as a risky project with potentially high offensive upside.

Biggest knock on him was his lack of motor, he often just enters the o-zone, finds an open spot and camps there waiting for someone to set him up for a shot on net. Also doesn't seem to bother playing much defense, and had no physical edge to his game. Definitely not a choache's dream.

Although he hasn't seemed to improve much on alot of his already identified deficiencies, he still has a decent chance of becoming a one dimensional type scoring winger for us in the future, something like a Hoffman-light, 20-20 NHLer. Don't think we should write him off as a bust just yet, he's got a couple more years left to make the jump.
Still though I don't think he'd be taken before the Sokolov pick. Still wish we took Peterka before Jarventie, and then Jarventie with the Sokolov pick.

Reactions: SENStastic

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The thing that strikes me about him is that tall gangly teenagers are rarely also strong. He was playing age advanced hockey and was somewhat of a weakling doing it. That often results in perimeter play. He's put on 30 pounds since the draft and at 214 pounds at 20 he's a big man. But you have to figure out how to play as a big man. If he can figure out how to play as a big man with his shooting ability, he's going to be a player.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Still though I don't think he'd be taken before the Sokolov pick. Still wish we took Peterka before Jarventie, and then Jarventie with the Sokolov pick.
Not sure if he would've gone after Sokolov or before, but in hind sight Peterka def would have been the better pick. I remember alot of people were upset we left him on the board when our pick came. If we grabbed him instead, that would have been a perfect draft score for us, literally a 10/10. Maybe they were a little worried he was more a product of Stutzle or something since they played together. Not sure.

Reactions: DrEasy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
By heavy feet do you mean slow? If so, isn't moving a slow guy to center the last thing you'd do?
Yes, I mean "slow". (And keep in mind, I mean "slow" relative to an NHL forward -- which is still tremendously fast relative to all of us who play pick-up hockey twice a week.)

But more precisely, I think there are three reasons a player is "slow": 1) poor technique, 2) lack of leg strength, 3) lack fast twitch muscle in his legs.... and guys with heavy feet are in category #3. Categories #1 and #2 can be dramatically improved, but I think category #3 can only be slightly improved.

The reason I think it's a good move for him to play center is that there's more movement & more freedom at that position. The wingers are so often stationary at the boards or wherever, and then they need to get someplace quickly in a sprint.

By playing centre he is more able to take advantage of (or develop) hockey sense such that he's always moving and getting to the right place on the ice by anticipation rather than speed.

We'll see. As with all Sens prospects I hope he becomes a real good NHL player. But we'll see.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But more precisely, I think there are three reasons a player is "slow": 1) poor technique, 2) lack of leg strength, 3) lack fast twitch muscle in his legs.... and guys with heavy feet are in category #3. Categories #1 and #2 can be dramatically improved, but I think category #3 can only be slightly improved.

I think there's a 4th reason: level of effort.

Players don't magically become faster in the post-season, they're working harder.

Reactions: Cosmix

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Not sure if he would've gone after Sokolov or before, but in hind sight Peterka def would have been the better pick. I remember alot of people were upset we left him on the board when our pick came. If we grabbed him instead, that would have been a perfect draft score for us, literally a 10/10. Maybe they were a little worried he was more a product of Stutzle or something since they played together. Not sure.

With Peterka we wouldn't even need to worry about signing a free agent.

Tkachuk-Stuetzle-Kubalik
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Peterka-Pinto-Joseph

Would be a great top 9.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Everyone needs to go see Hintz development path and then Jarventies before they can honestly tell me he’s a bust. They’re the same. I think Roby is gonna be a good player. Feeding passes to perennial 30 goal man Boucher

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone needs to go see Hintz development path and then Jarventies before they can honestly tell me he’s a bust. They’re the same. I think Roby is gonna be a good player. Feeding passes to perennial 30 goal man Boucher
30 goals/season?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Roby is gonna be a good player. Feeding passes to perennial 30 goal man Boucher

giphy.gif

I'll give you points for boldness.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
People need to give Jarventie more time. 16 goals in 40 games, as a 20 year old, in the AHL is nothing to scoff at.

Peterka has certainly developed faster and is better now, but he's also 8 months older.

6'3, 215 lbs and a great shot... that's a guy who can still put it together.

I remember when 2nd/3rd rounders weren't expected to compete for roster spots until they were 22. Now people write guys off at 20.

Reactions: JD1 and Icelevel

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
33rd overall is pretty close to a first rounder I was hyped about in the first year post draft but he really withered. Still see some promise in him but I am sure not many teams if any will offer us a second round pick for him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
People need to give Jarventie more time. 16 goals in 40 games, as a 20 year old, in the AHL is nothing to scoff at.

Peterka has certainly developed faster and is better now, but he's also 8 months older.

I remember when 2nd/3rd rounders weren't expected to compete for roster spots until they were 22. Now people write guys off at 20.
It’s just because he’s played in the AHL since he was 19, and even though he’s done well, he’s forgotten.

If you’re a 22/23 year old plugging away in Sweden for 3/4 years after being drafted and come to the AHL, you get highlighted as a new guy to watch who has tons of potential, like Lodin just did. He showed very little, but was a new shiny toy in NA.

If Jarventie played in Finland, developed exactly the same way, but was just coming over to Na this season, he’d be getting pumped up bigtime, the same way Petterson (who is a very good prospect) will when he gets over.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah I’m still happy with the jarventie pick. If he can get it going in Ottawa then I’d much rather have him over peterka. So let’s give him a chance first. Had a great second half last year.

Reactions: bert

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
They must have really loved his upside. They drafted Jarventie 11 spots ahead of Kleven and they traded up to draft Kleven (who was ranked higher than Jarventie by most publications, including Bob McKenzie) in the 2nd round. After selecting Stützle, Sanderson, and Greig in the first round, I think they took a flyer on Jarventie and bypassed some safer picks.

Reactions: SENStastic and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont think they are anything alike stylistically other than the fact they are both Finish. I am not saying he is done developing but they arent similar at all in how they play the game. Hintz has an incredible motor.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah I’m still happy with the jarventie pick. If he can get it going in Ottawa then I’d much rather have him over peterka. So let’s give him a chance first. Had a great second half last year.

Jarventie is still a project while Peterka is well on his way to being an NHL regular. Don't see how you can say you'd rather have the former.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jarventie is still a project while Peterka is well on his way to being an NHL regular. Don't see how you can say you'd rather have the former.
I like jarventie’s potential and ceiling. I’m saying if they both reach their potential I think I’d rather have jarventie. So conclusion is definitely on hold rn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad