Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Boucher has been signed since Dec 2021

I'm aware of that. We shouldn't have signed him so early.

If a player isn't performing at a level suggesting NHL potential, which Boucher wasn't in his first year in college, he shouldn't be rewarded with a contract, regardless of draft position.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm aware of that. We shouldn't have signed him so early.

If a player isn't performing at a level suggesting NHL potential, which Boucher wasn't in his first year in college, he shouldn't be rewarded with a contract, regardless of draft position.
The team wanted him to leave the NCAA, signing his contract was the carrot.

He’s always shown NHL potential, pretty much a guaranteed 4th line guy. The upside is just extremely small, and for a 10th overall that’s not what you want.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The team wanted him to leave the NCAA, signing his contract was the carrot.

He’s always shown NHL potential, pretty much a guaranteed 4th line guy. The upside is just extremely small, and for a 10th overall that’s not what you want.

Point taken about trying to get him to the 67s, but a contract wasn't needed for him to transfer to the CHL.

There is no guaranteed NHLer in him at all. If you can't even hit a PPG in junior you are the definition of a longshot.

Heard the same thing about Tyler Biggs back in the day. Had even better numbers than Boucher in college and in junior, but he couldn't even stick it out in the AHL, even with all his size and toughness.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He was picked 48th overall.

NHLers that late in the draft are nice to have but to expect them is silly.
Almost everyone in that second round has played in the NHL. Roope Hintz literally drafted one spot after him. There were 39 players drafted after him that have scored more points than him., including some that were drafted in the 7th round. Seems like a bad pick, especially with Kylinton, Dunn, and Cirelli drafted not long afterward.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Almost everyone in that second round has played in the NHL. Roope Hintz literally drafted one spot after him. There were 39 players drafted after him that have scored more points than him., including some that were drafted in the 7th round. Seems like a bad pick, especially with Kylinton, Dunn, and Cirelli drafted not long afterward.

39 players out of 163.

So far you've named 4 guys out of those 163 players that we SHOULD have drafted instead.

I just don't buy it.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
39 players out of 163.

So far you've named 4 guys out of those 163 players that we SHOULD have drafted instead.

I just don't buy it.
The point is that there are multiple players drafted in the 7th round, let alone the preceding ones that have outproduced him while you claim it's a complete crapshoot after the first round. I could name more names, wether they are from my pre draft list or not, however, I think you can use hockeydb on your own and you don't need me to do it for you.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The point is that there are multiple players drafted in the 7th round, let alone the preceding ones that have outproduced him while you claim it's a complete crapshoot after the first round. I could name more names, but I think you can use hockeydb on your own and you don't need me to do it for you.

Sure, hockeydb does an excellent job of indicating how few players make it as regulars in the NHL after the 2nd round.

I just get tired of the "we should have drafted this guy" exercise where hindsight magically identifies all of these amazing players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the record, here's what people thought back in the day:

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sure, hockeydb does an excellent job of indicating how few players make it as regulars in the NHL after the 2nd round.

I just get tired of the "we should have drafted this guy" exercise where hindsight magically identifies all of these amazing players.
It's not even just hindsight, Kylington was an obvious choice at the time. Just like how so many people on this site claimed that Aho was going to be a draft day steal, which he ended up being.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's not even just hindsight, Kylington was an obvious choice at the time. Just like how so many people on this site claimed that Aho was going to be a draft day steal, which he ended up being.

People on our board thought Chlapik should have been drafted in the 1st round and was a steal.

Read the threads.

Reactions: aragorn

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Have people in here been able to watch Jarventie play (i.e., his AHL games)? How does he look?

I assume he was injured last year as he only played 40 games?

Thought it might be good to get the discussion back to the topic of this thread.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we took Aho anywhere in the first 2 rounds it likely has everybody upset on draft day. He wasn't even ranked by McKenzie, he was an honorable mention outside the top 75.

He was a guy ranked in the 3rd+, who was a very large surprise selection by the Canes, a very good selection obviously. But by no means was he a guy anyone was hoping for with our 2nds.

In fact, the only mentions of Aho whatsoever were that he's a guy we could target in the 3rd/4th range in our draft threads, while Chlapik was mentioned many times for our 2nds.

In fact, the Swedish Sebastian Aho was getting just as much/more attention from our from compared to Aho, and that was extremely little

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kylington had some red flags if I recall, there's a reason he slipped from being considered a potential top 10 pick going into the year all the way down to 60th come draft day.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Have people in here been able to watch Jarventie play (i.e., his AHL games)? How does he look?

I assume he was injured last year as he only played 40 games?

Thought it might be good to get the discussion back to the topic of this thread.
I watched him some online and I liked how his game progressed.

He seemed more assertive and physical and was certainly skating with more pace.

I was shocked at the move to C but it seemed to really open up his game. If his shot continues to improve along with the rest of him game I think we have a player.

One more year in the AHL, being durable and producing and he could be top 9 year after.

Reactions: armani and bicboi64

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I watched him some online and I liked how his game progressed.

He seemed more assertive and physical and was certainly skating with more pace.

I was shocked at the move to C but it seemed to really open up his game. If his shot continues to improve along with the rest of him game I think we have a player.

One more year in the AHL, being durable and producing and he could be top 9 year after.
That's encouraging news. Thanks for the feedback.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The thing that I like about Jarventie is , there is no one in the organization like him. He has a tool set that can work on this team and he has some tools others don't have.

Reactions: gab6511

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The thing is he has a long way to go.

Imagine being a, "floater" or, "low energy" type of F around this group? He has all the skills and when this culture forces him to play with NHL pace, look out.

Dude is a natural a sniper but not a natural hunter (to use some sales slang). When he decides to be a hunter, he will be a huge positive.

He and Crookshank remain my dark horses and I feel good!

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Dude's a player. Needs to fill out and get fully coached but you can't teach that release and that goalscorer sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad