OT: 2024 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Crappers. Our condensate pump check valve failed just around 5pm tonight just when the supply stores were closed til tomorrow. Normally not much water overflow but we have the high efficiency furnace and copious water flood. mopped and shop vacced about 10liters. Worst that has ever been. It probably failed earlier in day and we were out. came home to some soppy carpet. Usually I can fiddle with the check valve and get it to work but not this time. Pump works like a charm, just the stupid check valve plugged. oh well. have to wait till tomorrow. of course furnace stuff like this always fails in cold spells.
NEVER any other time.

Actually fortunate I have the model that does not override shut the furnace. Otherwise we would have no heat now. Some of the pumps have a safety circuit that stops condensate furnace operation if there is an overflow. Not sure how safe that is in Edmonton winters lol. Rather have a bit of water than no furnace working. That would suck.

Last year it was our main water valve needing replacing. That was a pita. Home ownership, always gotta be on stuff.

I don't mind the weather. but not when stuff breaks down.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Crappers. Our condensate pump check valve failed just around 5pm tonight just when the supply stores were closed til tomorrow. Normally not much water overflow but we have the high efficiency furnace and copious water flood. mopped and shop vacced about 10liters. Worst that has ever been. It probably failed earlier in day and we were out. came home to some soppy carpet. Usually I can fiddle with the check valve and get it to work but not this time. Pump works like a charm, just the stupid check valve plugged. oh well. have to wait till tomorrow. of course furnace stuff like this always fails in cold spells.
NEVER any other time.

Last year it was our main water valve needing replacing. That was a pita. Home ownership, always gotta be on stuff.

I don't mind the weather. but not when stuff breaks down.
Shitty dude, hope you can get it fixed soon. As you say it’s always when it’s cold.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Shitty dude, hope you can get it fixed soon. As you say it’s always when it’s cold.
Thanks. I troubleshooted every aspect. I knew the pump was working perfectly, just no water getting through the valve. tried everything to clean it out. its worked before. Finally took a tooth pick and put it through the valve several times one end thru to the other..doesn't take much of an opening for the force of the pump to get these working. This is an in the pinch kinda fix and it works fine now. trouble is when you start *fixing* like this it stops being a check valve and is now more of a flo thru. haha. but it works. I've heard people drill thru these things just to open them up when all else fails. Defeats the purpose though of a one way valve...pfft

The funny thing is its actually the ball valve itself inside these things that causes the blockage. hard water and the acid in the condensate eat it up and the particles clog it up. Its like these things are designed to fail.

Off to the part store when I can but working fine for the meantime. This fix would actually work for the rest of the winter in likelihood but no reason to take chances.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Was an excellent balmy winter up to this point. Now the next week or so will be brutal (we were due for extreme cold temperatures )

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is there "we're not getting enough snow or winter" people left?

its a lot of winter and a nonstop blizzard out there. Lots of winter on the menu in the forecast.

I enjoyed the balmy weather while we had it. Been a bonus last year of 5-6mths of summer, 4mths of fall, and a few mths of winter. I'd be fine with that anytime.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
i mean it'll still be there tomorrow morning
would this snow pack into ice if I drive on top of it or is it too cold for that to happen?
thinking about delaying the shoveling to tomorrow but dont want to scrape away ice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
would this snow pack into ice if I drive on top of it or is it too cold for that to happen?
thinking about delaying the shoveling to tomorrow but dont want to scrape away ice.
shovel two strips for your tires and you'll be fine

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's happening!!! I like the snow but I don't like to drive in it lol
Snow is fun to drive in. Especially with a truck or SUV with clearance. Glare ice is what you don't like driving in. Albeit snow can sometimes in bad conditions cover the glare ice. But mostly these road conditions right now are still fine. Nobody should be having trouble with this.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Snow is fun to drive in. Especially with a truck or SUV with clearance. Glare ice is what you don't like driving in. Albeit snow can sometimes in bad conditions cover the glare ice. But mostly these road conditions right now are still fine. Nobody should be having trouble with this.
You're right it's the glare ice I hate.. I do dislike how other drivers become dumb and/or ultra aggressive with this type of weather though

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
yeah, but it will be much colder. When i have to choose between shoveling in -20 or -35 i'll choose -20.

But i'd really like to go back to the weather we had in December. :nod:
Where are all those damned kids that show up looking to shovel your place when there's a skiff of snow and minus 5?:D

Famous last words. :laugh: Just wait till the accident reports come out tomorrow. People are idiots.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
not looking forward to the long extra slow commute home from work later. Google map already showing it will take me 50 minutes and it's not even rush hour yet. Then have to shovel the driveway after that too... :(

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Where are all those damned kids that show up looking to shovel your place when there's a skiff of snow and minus 5?:D

Famous last words. :laugh: Just wait till the accident reports come out tomorrow. People are idiots.
This hombre hasn't had accident since 91 (cross fingers) and that was somebody rear rending me off the road as I'm turning with signals on. It was broad daylight. Summer, clear roads. That was the moment I check the rear view mirror even more for idiots not looking at where they're driving.

I mean I can't count the time I wasn't even in the vehicle and it was legally parked on side road and a drunk driver speeding backwards rammed it into vehicle heaven. They drive amongst us. I'm fully aware. The guy was speeding, drunk, and in reverse. He said to police he didn't know what was going on, figured if he stepped on the gas pedal more he would stop. ( he got the pedals mixed up).... Guy was on probation from the last series of DUI charges and was somehow still being allowed to drive a company truck. Could've sued the company.

Myself, being retired I'm glad to stay off the roads when drivers do stupid shit. but just shovelling snow outside today some asshat spun out around a corner and I'm right there. Didn't see him coming as I was shoveling and the wind was howling. You'd think it would occur to a driver to at least drive civilly if pedestrians are right around. Course not. Didn't come close to hitting me as he hit opposite bank. What a f***ing idiot.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
-57 wind chill. Wtf!

1000000308.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad