McDonagh vs. Chychrun

Who would you rather have on your team right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm not a Chychrun fan. Give me McDonagh for the Sharks. I think he'd provide more value as a mentor/insulator for the young guys. Habs I feel the same way - short term stop gap/mentor for Reinbacher.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A 9 year age gap means there’s a lot at play with the question. McDonagh was undoubtedly the better defenseman this year and I’d take him to win now. It’s also possible the bottom falls out, he’s more expensive next year and has another year after that.

For the Canucks, McDonagh would improve the defense for now, but would also take up a lot of space when Hronek needs a new deal, Zadorov is a UFA and they need to improve the right side. They also have Hughes and Soucy locked in on the left. Chychrun would be cheaper for next year but he was also bad defensively this year and is a UFA to be who needs to get paid.

To be honest I think I would move them both rather than keep them, and if that’s the case I’d take Chychrun since I think he has more value. He was moved last year for a 1st and two 2nds. McDonagh was just moved for a 2nd, 4th and 7th. While Chychrun’s value has probably gone down after the year he had and with only 1 year left on his deal now, I think he’d still bring back more than McDonagh did.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If I was a playoff team, McDonagh.

If I wasn't a playoff team, and looking to have on my team right now for next year, chychrun.

I don't like chychrun and think McDonagh is better, however I also think it's only a matter of time before his play falls off completely at his age. He's 35 in a couple weeks. Defenseman over 35 tend to become so slow and useless for the most part.

Chychrun is useless defensively, but at least he will be able to rip goals from the Blueline for the next 5-10 years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
People who voted Chychrun go off on reputation , they sure as hell haven't seen him play this year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This isn’t even close. One player is a Cup winner and plays defensively the right way. The other guy isn’t a player teams win with. He could be, but lacks something to get him to play the right way.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chychrun is very much one of those all tools no toolbox players, where he is physical, skilled, speedy enough, with a good shot, and yet he makes brutal decisions frequently.

McDonagh at his age is a no tools all toolbox players where he is a reliable if unspectacular player.

Reactions: Evergreen

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Chychrun is very much one of those all tools no toolbox players, where he is physical, skilled, speedy enough, with a good shot, and yet he makes brutal decisions frequently.

McDonagh at his age is a no tools all toolbox players where he is a reliable if unspectacular player.
Chycrun sounds like Nurse lite

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad