OT: 2024 Weather Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ok I can’t take it anymore. @Bryanbryoil time to lock that 2022 one up! Pity the poor fool a decade from now trying to search the 2023 Weather Thread. It’s like the year never happened!

2024 Weather : No snow today. No snow on the ground. Blue skies, sunny, it’s -4 and I wore T shirt and shorts to take out the garbage and it’s like a brisk fall day.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
sowing a lot here now. North alberta getting a ton of snow the next few weeks most likel.y.

Reactions: oilers'72

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ok I can’t take it anymore. @Bryanbryoil time to lock that 2022 one up! Pity the poor fool a decade from now trying to search the 2023 Weather Thread. It’s like the year never happened!

2024 Weather : No snow today. No snow on the ground. Blue skies, sunny, it’s -4 and I wore T shirt and shorts to take out the garbage and it’s like a brisk fall day.
You couldn’t stand the 2022 weather thread?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Meanwhile, I'm in the Southern USA where an inch of snow can cripple a whole city. Expecting to see snow for the first time in over a year. That's scary...especially because I've become acclimatized to the south, and -1 feels like -20 at least. 🥶

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Screenshot_20240107_013226_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240107_013226_Chrome.jpg

Oh shit me

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
See? We're getting that normal winter, snow, and temp stuff that people were missing so much..;)

Just wait long enough and we get winter.

-29C is bugger all. Talk to me when its -48 windchill.

At one time used to work up north in places it was so cold in winter you'd have to leave the forklift running day and night or it would never start. I'd get cold then because I was scrawny teenager. Zero body fat insulation.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
See? We're getting that normal winter, snow, and temp stuff that people were missing so much..;)

At one time used to work up north in places it was so cold in winter you'd have to leave the forklift running day and night or it would never start. I'd get cold then because I was scrawny teenager. Zero body fat insulation.
Yup, I've been telling anyone that will listen, when people were whining about the mild temps and lack of snow. Careful what you wish for, and here we go. Lots of time, the majority of snow in these parts happens in January, Feb and then March.

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, I've been telling anyone that will listen, when people were whining about the mild temps and lack of snow. Careful what you wish for, and here we go. Lots of time, the majority of snow in these parts happens in January, Feb and then March.

Something Wicked This Way Comes.
I've heard some of the "world is ending in 12 yrs (whoops, that didn't happen)" type hysteria fear about climate change too from people.

OT but recently I've been deep diving on some climatic periods in time, mini ice ages and warm and cooler centuries etc. Always interested me that coast of Greenland for instance, and I've read extensively on this was habitable from 800-1100 but then the Vikings abandoned it, abandoned their farms, (there was limited agriculture on coast, particularly sheltered west coast) but the climate changed. It changed for hundreds of years and spots of green went back to being glacier covered. Then recently thats changed back to Greenland having some green. Back to being more habitable, back to being able to farm some coastal regions. To have agriculture there. Vikings left as soon as that wasn't possible anymore due to weather and temp.

Theres constant examples like that but Greenland is an interesting case study.

Glaciology has been kind of a hobby for me. Fascinated with it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've heard some of the "world is ending in 12 yrs (whoops, that didn't happen)" type hysteria fear about climate change too from people.

OT but recently I've been deep diving on some climatic periods in time, mini ice ages and warm and cooler centuries etc. Always interested me that coast of Greenland for instance, and I've read extensively on this was habitable from 800-1100 but then the Vikings abandoned it, abandoned their farms, (there was limited agriculture on coast, particularly sheltered west coast) but the climate changed. It changed for hundreds of years and spots of green went back to being glacier covered. Then recently thats changed back to Greenland having some green. Back to being more habitable, back to being able to farm some coastal regions. To have agriculture there. Vikings left as soon as that wasn't possible anymore due to weather and temp.

Theres constant examples like that but Greenland is an interesting case study.

Glaciology has been kind of a hobby for me. Fascinated with it.
Not only glaciology (I didn't realize there actually was such a word), but I just saw a doc about ancient tribes in some desert areas of the world, where peoples and cities lived for centuries until long lasting droughts occurred and they had to abandon them to go search for fertile land. Must have been from all the fossil fuels they burned.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not only glaciology (I didn't realize there actually was such a word), but I just saw a doc about ancient tribes in some desert areas of the world, where peoples and cities lived for centuries until long lasting droughts occurred and they had to abandon them to go search for fertile land. Must have been from all the fossil fuels they burned.
Oh yeah. Glaciology is a sub science and just in Alberta of course theres lots of study, research, research stations and the like. Columbia Icefields and Edith Cavell are two of my favorite places on Earth. Both have had unique studies. Cavell glacier is considered a unique microclimate valley glacier that has attracted a lot of study.

I posted OT here extensively when the "Ghost Glacier) segment of Cavell glacier came crashing down.

I had been to the Cavell just the week before. I'm just a hobbyist. I love glaciers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oh yeah. Glaciology is a sub science and just in Alberta of course theres lots of study, research, research stations and the like. Columbia Icefields and Edith Cavell are two of my favorite places on Earth. Both have had unique studies. Cavell glacier is considered a unique microclimate valley glacier that has attracted a lot of study.

I posted OT here extensively when the "Ghost Glacier) segment of Cavell glacier came crashing down.

I had been to the Cavell just the week before. I'm just a hobbyist. I love glaciers.
I love ice as well. But mostly, in drinks.;)

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Let me know when the snow arrives, we are still well well below normal pretty much everywhere for snow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Let me know when the snow arrives, we are still well well below normal pretty much everywhere for snow.
Been snowing here all weekend. Where you at? By next week we can send some dumptrucks out your way. ;)

Yes we're below normal still. That can change in the space of one week and has often in historical weather. One week or one month can get totally back to normal snow cover.

No point worrying about spilled snow except if you're a downhill skier. ;)

Looks like I'll get the snowshoes on this week. Cost me nothing and can do it from the front door. haha

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Been snowing here all weekend. Where you at? By next week we can send some dumptrucks out your way. ;)

Yes we're below normal still. That can change in the space of one week and has often in historical weather. One week or one month can get totally back to normal snow cover.

No point worrying about spilled snow except if you're a downhill skier. ;)

Looks like I'll get the snowshoes on this week. Cost me nothing and can do it from the front door. haha
South Edmonton, grass still poking through the snow. Barely a 6 inch pile on the side of the driveway. Skied last week, mountains are thin although they just picked up a bit so that’s good. Feel bad for the shrubs and perennials with this super cold weather and lack of snow to protect them. I expect there will be losses.

And yes, I too know that it can change and we can still get snow.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I know it doesn't help for fires and stuff, but man I loved this winter so far. I wish it started snowing end of December every year. Just go through 2 months of sh** weather. Then spring is right there

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
South Edmonton, grass still poking through the snow. Barely a 6 inch pile on the side of the driveway. Skied last week, mountains are thin although they just picked up a bit so that’s good. Feel bad for the shrubs and perennials with this super cold weather and lack of snow to protect them. I expect there will be losses.

And yes, I too know that it can change and we can still get snow.
meh. I have grape vines in the back yard sunside of the house. Took a lot of the snow and just piled it on a foot thick covering whole area. Anybody can do this and theres enough snow to do it with. Also have them covered every winter with weather blanket, old quilt, and protected from wind by tarp.

Most perennials survive this kind of stuff and most that don't are not necessarily weather suited here. With our grapes its a challenge but a worthwhile one in that we get 10-20lbs of grapes every year right in our yard and we've had it now for decades and its survived weather like this before.

I know it doesn't help for fires and stuff, but man I loved this winter so far. I wish it started snowing end of December every year. Just go through 2 months of sh** weather. Then spring is right there
Sometimes we trip to lower mainland just to get some more seasonal temps and nice around Christmas sometimes but this year we have had some of the best weather in the country. Maybe the best. plus it rarely rains here in winter like it does in lower mainland. Cold freezing rain sucks.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
meh. I have grape vines in the back yard sunside of the house. Took a lot of the snow and just piled it on a foot thick covering whole area. Anybody can do this and theres enough snow to do it with. Also have them covered every winter with weather blanket, old quilt, and protected from wind by tarp.

Most perennials survive this kind of stuff and most that don't are not necessarily weather suited here. With our grapes its a challenge but a worthwhile one in that we get 10-20lbs of grapes every year right in our yard and we've had it now for decades and its survived weather like this before.

Sometimes we trip to lower mainland just to get some more seasonal temps and nice around Christmas sometimes but this year we have had some of the best weather in the country. Maybe the best. plus it rarely rains here in winter like it does in lower mainland. Cold freezing rain sucks.
I would not have guessed grapes at this latitude. That’s awesome.

What variety are you growing? Do you cover the canes/vines right up to guard them against the frost and direct sun in the late winter period?

Are eating or using for jelly’s etc?

We are still back at the lake (we head back to AZ later this week). We have had snow the past two days probably around 3 inches total. Up to yesterday no snowmobiling just UTVs. Today the sleds are starting to come out. Unfortunately the wind is raw today or I would go for a ski. Thursday is forecast for a high of -33 here. That’s the day we are bugging out, although I dislike being on the road at those temps when you really don’t have to. I’m just trying to outrun a storm that is supposed to roll through Montana, Idaho, and southern Utah.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would not have guessed grapes at this latitude. That’s awesome.

What variety are you growing? Do you cover the canes/vines right up to guard them against the frost and direct sun in the late winter period?

Are eating or using for jelly’s etc?

We are still back at the lake (we head back to AZ later this week). We have had snow the past two days probably around 3 inches total. Up to yesterday no snowmobiling just UTVs. Today the sleds are starting to come out. Unfortunately the wind is raw today or I would go for a ski. Thursday is forecast for a high of -33 here. That’s the day we are bugging out, although I dislike being on the road at those temps when you really don’t have to. I’m just trying to outrun a storm that is supposed to roll through Montana, Idaho, and southern Utah.
Valiant grapes.

WE have a light colored stucco house which absorbs and bounces heat on allsunside. We have one original vine and it grows like a monster. Grows 8ft high on trellis, grows to fireplace, it would climb to roof top if I let it. We eat, make juice, have tried jelly. Its all awesome. Its a red-purple grape with lots of taste and very decent sweetness. You can pick preferable to what sugar content you want.

Yeah, as described we have multiple cover. perennial cloths followed by old quilt, tarp on top, snow on top. The work is to compact the vines in circles and then compress them down gradually so they don't break but go down in prep for coverage. Then in spring thaw we start undressing it as soon as snow melt and then when warm enough removing all cover and pulling them back onto trellis. Not easy as the vines are immense by now. Its an 18yr old monster of a plant. I cut vines back to where it wants to be, but not too much as it likes being its big beautiful self. Even the grape leaves beautiful. Very large and turn yellow and colors in the fall.

We have blackberrries, tons of raspberries, tons of garden. This year our tomatoes lasted until Christmas and last of onions used last week. still 2 freezers of frozen produce left. Whatever we grow I love eating and its the best thing to be consuming. We're organic, guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad