OT: 2024 Weather Thread

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I went to Starbucks with Mrs5 (I dont drink coffee) and no plastic straws but the paper ones were in plastic wrappers. I ate my muffin with a plastic fork and the cup was not recyclable as it has that coating which renders pretty much all fast food paper cups non recyclable.

The virtue signalling by the corporations and municipalities is hilarious on pretty much every social issue out there.
I already miss the cardboard knives some of the fast food companies used for a week or two after this nonsense first started. Those were a game changer. I don’t know who’s dumber. The people who dream up these obviously ridiculous ideas or the people who actually spend money on them.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just got in last night from Cancun Maya Riviera, left on Feb 16th when it was +4. You guys had 1 JOB!! stay warm but you couldnt do that, could you?
Also, wasnt expecting +27 and a Miami Vice to be waiting for me when I got off the plane, even +4 would still have been just as nice.

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought when Tim Cartmell was elected that he would bring some element of businesslike approach and general sanity to that table. I worked with Tims bro in law and learned about Tim through him. I think the problem is that the rest of council and the mayors chair are all filled with progressive, social media wannabes so they mostly just grandstand on the types of matters that will get them clicks and mentions in their sad world and ignore the real issues that a municipal level government is meant to address. They never had any intention of making the council more effective or the city more liveable.
Maybe city council would be able to focus on municipal level issues easier if the provincial government didn’t abandon its responsibility on things like affordable housing, homelessness, addiction and mental health?

#nopoliticsunlessitsconservativepolitics

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Maybe city council would be able to focus on municipal level issues easier if the provincial government didn’t abandon its responsibility on things like affordable housing, homelessness, addiction and mental health?

Municipalities shouldn't have taken these things on. I think they wanted to.

On the snow clearing front our priority 3 road was plowed last night and windrow removed this morning in Strathcona County.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
They can't forecast shit like two days ago Monday was suppose to be zero now it's all week is -10 or worse.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Out east we certainly had an interesting day. When I woke up at 8 it was 12 degrees. By 1 pm it had fallen to -5 with the drop starting around noon.

Wind is crazy too, 70 gusting 80.

But the most interesting thing is that the system that brought the cold in intially brought thunderstorms all night last night and also dragged wildfire smoke from Texas and Oklahoma into the GTA.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Maybe the homelss circumstance found across the country in never greater numbers has been federally created. wooooooo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Municipalities shouldn't have taken these things on. I think they wanted to.

On the snow clearing front our priority 3 road was plowed last night and windrow removed this morning in Strathcona County.
Still no plowing on our front street bus route. Now 4 days after the snow dump. We're supposed to be level 2 or 3 as a bus route but I see what priority we are. nil.

"Windrow removed" haha, that never happens here. Windrows R us.

Heres an interesting thing. In a city all about inclusion and making things safe for all the seniors here have to navigate 3ft high windrows every winter just to get to their mailbox located across the street a block away. Nor does the city put any sand on the road or at intersections pedestrians have to cross. But bike lanes. hooboy...

Any senior, or those that are handicapped, disabled etc are basically unable to use the sidewalks here in the winter. The city is fine with that, apparently. Inclusion!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks jackass last Friday Monday was forecast to be plus 2 try pulling that oversized toaster on your shoulders out of your ass.
Nice response. Now, back to your regular programming about bitching about Draisaitl and numerous other things that make you so loveable.:D

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Nice response. Now, back to your regular programming about bitching about Draisaitl and numerous other things that make you so loveable.:D
And you reading every single post and needing my attention for some reason. Imagine thinking players playing poorly shouldnt be criticized.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I love Edmonton but God I HATE snow lol. Just hate it. Have never liked it. Don't like going outside in it lol.

I think I might move to Vancouver down the road when my daughters get older so I can golf all year too

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Still no plowing on our front street bus route. Now 4 days after the snow dump. We're supposed to be level 2 or 3 as a bus route but I see what priority we are. nil.

"Windrow removed" haha, that never happens here. Windrows R us.

Heres an interesting thing. In a city all about inclusion and making things safe for all the seniors here have to navigate 3ft high windrows every winter just to get to their mailbox located across the street a block away. Nor does the city put any sand on the road or at intersections pedestrians have to cross. But bike lanes. hooboy...

Any senior, or those that are handicapped, disabled etc are basically unable to use the sidewalks here in the winter. The city is fine with that, apparently. Inclusion!
So I got home last night (also on a bus route) to the road looking like a dirt road, they must have dropped 2 truck loads of sand onto the road but it wasn't plowed. So I'm starting to wonder if they are going to plow at all given the amount of sand dropped. Sure enough at 1:30 in the morning the wailing grader sounds start out from of the house. Immediately have a 4 year old in my bed and a howling dog. My 8 year old also got up to ask what was going on.

So why drop all that sand around 5pm just to plow it into a windrow? Also do the residential shit from 7am-10pm or something. Not to mention the windrow on my sidewalk now... argh.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I love Edmonton but God I HATE snow lol. Just hate it. Have never liked it. Don't like going outside in it lol.

I think I might move to Vancouver down the road when my daughters get older so I can golf all year too
I'm with you, I hate the snow as well. But man, did we ever need it, and still need lots more. Better I guess for it to happen now than middle of April, or worse yet, May. Would be nice to have a spring without a total fire ban for once.

So I got home last night (also on a bus route) to the road looking like a dirt road, they must have dropped 2 truck loads of sand onto the road but it wasn't plowed. So I'm starting to wonder if they are going to plow at all given the amount of sand dropped. Sure enough at 1:30 in the morning the wailing grader sounds start out from of the house. Immediately have a 4 year old in my bed and a howling dog. My 8 year old also got up to ask what was going on.

So why drop all that sand around 5pm just to plow it into a windrow? Also do the residential shit from 7am-10pm or something. Not to mention the windrow on my sidewalk now... argh.
I've had that issue with the city forever. Dump truckloads of sand, and then follow up with ploughing it all off to the side. Some pretty tall foreheads running that department. Don't worry about the windrows blocking your sidewalk. They usually come by to clean those up about 3-4 weeks after the snowfall. I suspect most of them will have been melted by then.:D:facepalm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
City finally got around to plowing the bus route yesterday just in time for it to snow again today. Took 5 days for the Plows to get here. You'd think we don't even live in a city.

Now we got the nice 3 foot Windrows that will be around till spring.

Reactions: oilers'72

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
j3fpdlwy86mc1.jpeg

It's on Reddit, so it has to be true, right?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
j3fpdlwy86mc1.jpeg

It's on Reddit, so it has to be true, right?
Those two are tight.

The first season Zack was signed, I bumped into the two of them at YEG (the Oiler charter was leaving for a US preseason through the USdepartures section (Customs I assume) and they were grabbing coffee together. Other players passed through too from time to time but I said to my wife I can see those two guys being tight. They are both good character people.

If this is in fact true, not surprised.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If only we would get some snow they said. If only we had a normal winter they said. haha. Last week has been a pretty healthy measure of snow and winter temps. All the global warming alarmists shrieking about how dry its going to be in spring. We have more snow ground cover now than we often do in March. I'm actually wearing out showshovels this year. I think every year they are using cheaper plastic for these things. Made out of plastic straws and plastic cutlery probably, lol

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If only we would get some snow they said. If only we had a normal winter they said. haha. Last week has been a pretty healthy measure of snow and winter temps. All the global warming alarmists shrieking about how dry its going to be in spring. We have more snow ground cover now than we often do in March. I'm actually wearing out showshovels this year. I think every year they are using cheaper plastic for these things. Made out of plastic straws and plastic cutlery probably, lol
We've literally had 3 weeks total of winter this season
a week in January and these past 2 weeks in last-Feb, early March

that's not normal

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We've literally had 3 weeks total of winter this season
a week in January and these past 2 weeks in last-Feb, early March

that's not normal
Yup, lots of areas with still so much low snow pack. This has helped but we are still at historic lows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad