OT: 2024 Weather Thread

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'll strap on my showshoes to go to the store a few blocks away. That'll get some laughs.

Caution to everybody that in some spots there is glare ice under all this snow. Easy to slip.

I have no skin in the game being retired now but so many times I'd be frustrated that all the major storms seemed to impact monday AM traffic which is hell to begin with in winter, in Edmonton, where driving skills approach zero. One vehicle advancing at lights because somebody is scared to step on the gas because of snow is ridiculous.

man, I don't miss it.
Mrs Brent went back to Fort Sask on Sunday for a few days (trip was prebooked). She could not have picked a worse date.

She texted me this morning as she had to drive over to a place near Southgate and said the roads are “third world“.

Excuse me now, while I put my flip flops on and go outside to enjoy my coffee on the patio. :|

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Apparently 24hrs into the cleaning and the whitemud isn't on the list, snow covered lanes and some sand.

Why don't they just get 3 or 4 plows staggered and clear the damn thing in an hour or 2? Then sand the crap out of it.

You must be new here.

In Edmonton we actually prefer to clog major roadways as much as possible to make commuting as big a nightmare as possible.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Mrs Brent went back to Fort Sask on Sunday for a few days (trip was prebooked). She could not have picked a worse date.

She texted me this morning as she had to drive over to a place near Southgate and said the roads are “third world“.

Excuse me now, while I put my flip flops on and go outside to enjoy my coffee on the patio. :|
It's wild that they are as bad as they are. Yes, really bad storm, but get to the main roads first. Yesterday driving home on the Whitemud (going west) the hill going down to the snow valley bridge was glare ice at the top, no sand, about 2/3 the way down they had sand and a ton on the bridge itself (at the bottom). At least if someone started to slide down the hill they would stop at the bottom from the sand or hit the pile of cars at the bottom.

Just no thought put into snow removal anymore. I want to run for city council just to randomly interject other peoples thoughts, not to bring anything up, more of a disappointed dad role where I sit in a nice recliner off to the side watching TV until I hear something stupid.

You must be new here.

In Edmonton we actually prefer to clog major roadways as much as possible to make commuting as big a nightmare as possible.
Unfortunately I've been around for 22 years, I'm aware of the challenges this city puts us through. I just blindly hope things will change, much like the Oilers. Maybe there is something in the water.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's wild that they are as bad as they are. Yes, really bad storm, but get to the main roads first. Yesterday driving home on the Whitemud (going west) the hill going down to the snow valley bridge was glare ice at the top, no sand, about 2/3 the way down they had sand and a ton on the bridge itself (at the bottom). At least if someone started to slide down the hill they would stop at the bottom from the sand or hit the pile of cars at the bottom.

Just no thought put into snow removal anymore. I want to run for city council just to randomly interject other peoples thoughts, not to bring anything up, more of a disappointed dad role where I sit in a nice recliner off to the side watching TV until I hear something stupid.

Unfortunately I've been around for 22 years, I'm aware of the challenges this city puts us through. I just blindly hope things will change, much like the Oilers. Maybe there is something in the water.

Ha - love the thought of a "common sense ombudsman" for the City.

First order of business - reevaluating the decision to riddle basically every major commuter route in the city with construction at the exact same time.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That sounds like a full time job. A very frustrating one at that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tuesday afternoon:

and not a lick of sand anywhere on the front street bus route. 2 days later and the city still in search of sand or something...

Could slide a curling rock half a mile outside on the bus route. Could throw on the skates.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought when Tim Cartmell was elected that he would bring some element of businesslike approach and general sanity to that table. I worked with Tims bro in law and learned about Tim through him. I think the problem is that the rest of council and the mayors chair are all filled with progressive, social media wannabes so they mostly just grandstand on the types of matters that will get them clicks and mentions in their sad world and ignore the real issues that a municipal level government is meant to address. They never had any intention of making the council more effective or the city more liveable.
Karen Principe is good too Genes wife. But they are minority on that council. The rest want to tackle global warming or mans inhumanity to man. heh

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Start at 8 I guess lol

View attachment 825481

Silly that they didn't start even before the snow stopped.

I'm the furthest thing from a City hater but the guys working those crews get paid on salary... so they just sat around all winter and then had a nice chill start the one day they were needed??
Them some big plow trucks

IMG_0460.jpeg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Karen Principe is good too Genes wife. But they are minority on that council. The rest want to tackle global warming or mans inhumanity to man. heh

The .15 (soon to be .25) disposable bag thing is among the dumbest, most pointless, poorly thought out policies I can ever remember at any level of government. You can tell it was conceived from the depths of "look at us, we're saving the oceans!" type of narcissistic stupidity.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The .15 (soon to be .25) disposable bag thing is among the dumbest, most pointless, poorly thought out policies I can ever remember at any level of government. You can tell it was conceived from the depths of "look at us, we're saving the oceans!" type of narcissistic stupidity.
Wish I had the arm to chuck a plastic straw into the ocean all the way from my place in Edmonton.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought when Tim Cartmell was elected that he would bring some element of businesslike approach and general sanity to that table. I worked with Tims bro in law and learned about Tim through him. I think the problem is that the rest of council and the mayors chair are all filled with progressive, social media wannabes so they mostly just grandstand on the types of matters that will get them clicks and mentions in their sad world and ignore the real issues that a municipal level government is meant to address. They never had any intention of making the council more effective or the city more liveable.
I'm guessing our ward's councillor, the svelte Michael Janz, doesn't do a lot of biking or much of any physical activity despite being a huge proponent of the bike lanes, and electric buses. And according to his profile, doesn't sound like he's worked a real job his entire life.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The game plan is to stop the people from driving. Period Or deter it. Not servicing, building, anything roads is a means to that end.

Important to remember all the people making these decisions fly in planes or have chauffeurs or such and attend global meetings with thousnads in entourage flying, drinking champagne, eating caviar, while "saving the planet"
Are you suggesting they are fraudulent?!? Tee Hee.

Next time Steve Guilbeault attends a GreenPeace stunt (his future career after he loses the next election) I expect him to ride around in a vehicle powered by his and Ed Begley Jrs hot air.

Edit - at least Tooker Gomberg practiced what he preached. I still recall him cycling Edmonton streets, sans dedicated bike lanes, in -40 weather. Tooker, you were one in a million.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Next time Steve Guilbeault attends a GreenPeace stunt (his future career after he loses the next election) I expect him to ride around in a vehicle powered by his and Ed Begley Jrs hot air.

Edit - at least Tooker Gomberg practiced what he preached. I still recall him cycling Edmonton streets, sans dedicated bike lanes, in -40 weather. Tooker, you were one in a million.
haha. I knew Tooker personally. met with him several times. While odd, and more overzealous than myself, he did entirely believe in his principles. His spouse did as well. They really walked the walk. They cycled everywhere they went and wife was intimately involved in Cycle commuters clubs. They were genuine. They weren't jetsetters like the current enviro crews you see. Afairc Tooker got all his clothes out of places like Goodwill. Repurpose everything.

I wouldn't WANT to know G-ball

I made a pun..

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
haha. I knew Tooker personally. met with him several times. While odd, and more overzealous than myself, he did entirely believe in his principles. His spouse did as well. They really walked the walk. They cycled everywhere they went and wife was intimately involved in Cycle commuters clubs. They were genuine. They weren't jetsetters like the current enviro crews you see. Afair Tooker got all his clothes out of places like Goodwill. Repurpose everything.

I wouldn't WANT to know G-ball

I made a pun..
That’s how I remember him too. I think it’s called authentic. I worked with a guy that was in Michael Phairs circle. Again, not in my orbit but the few times I spoke with him he was committed, willing to discuss but not annoyingly evangelical. I can do that but the frauds today not so much.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I can also remember Tooker skating to work one time when we had freezing rain. You're right, he was weird, but he walked the talk.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wish I had the arm to chuck a plastic straw into the ocean all the way from my place in Edmonton.

I went to Starbucks with Mrs5 (I dont drink coffee) and no plastic straws but the paper ones were in plastic wrappers. I ate my muffin with a plastic fork and the cup was not recyclable as it has that coating which renders pretty much all fast food paper cups non recyclable.

The virtue signalling by the corporations and municipalities is hilarious on pretty much every social issue out there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad